Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Doing video projects? Interesting 35mm audio track stock footage

Author Topic: Doing video projects? Interesting 35mm audio track stock footage
Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 11:01 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea why I troubled, but I created four animated demos of current 35mm soundtracks (the new cyan tracks are not included). Maybe because I'm using my "wait at home for the phone to ring" time to put together some stock video and sound files to sell (though I can't imagine who would use these).

Note: yes, the green background is chroma-key green.

See Small Sample Videos on This Page

These are 1/4-size 15fps Quicktime demos (the SDDS/Dolby timecode video may be a bit hard to see this small). You can view or download the thumbnail-size samples by the links under each photo.

Some of you have had video projects in the past - I provided an Academy leader video for someone awhile back - anyway, I'm offering my Film-Tech friends the use of these videos for your projects if they're of any use (I retain resale rights) - and I'd welcome your comments as well.

If anybody can use full-frame videos (720x480 29.97fps) email me (I'll keep the offer open to film-tech folks thru October).
EMAIL ADDRESS REMOVED - PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING

[ 09-16-2005, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-17-2005 02:24 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..now, all he needs to add to this collection of animated soundtracks are: the variable density, the unilaterial variable area, the Duplex Variable Area, and rename his dual optical to the dual bi-lateral variable area (which became the grandfather of Dolby optical...), then he would really have a collection to hoot about.

(Wonder if he knew about CDS - 70mm digital optical sound that bombed big time...)

-Monte

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2005 01:37 PM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Wayne

Your video's are really good. Do they have audio or is my dial-up connection faulty? Your not the only one, here is my effort.

I used after effects 6 pro and took the footage from playing a trailer both normally and flipped so to project the sound-track.
Also the sound was recorded and synced with the video. I'm going to upload it to a server once I get a broadband line up and running.

-

Wayne Keyser
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2005 03:28 PM      Profile for Wayne Keyser   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Keyser       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to Monty's question/comment: These clips are silent.

I coulda done variable density, but I hate that hissy, hard-to-dupe, finicky-about-exposure-and-processing format with a passion, plus it's not in current use.

I will rename the dual-bilateral forthwith - thank you. Gonna stick with the ones I got, and not add more - okay, maybe I just do up the outsides and a thin stripe just inside the perfs of the optical one in a medium brown, do no further animation at all, and call it - (what did they call those?) - 6-track magnetic with optical as well.

Anyway, the sources: the picture was from a "lunchroom etiquette" classroom film found among the public-domain videos on Internet Archive. Same with the optical track, from a 1930's "how movies talk" film. Adobe Premiere put it all together, isolating the optical track and putting it over a still image of several 35mm frames - put it in twice for bilateral, ran one of those backwards for the stereo optical. If it were listenable after all that processing it would be the announcer on the "how movies talk" film (the track was onscreen in the film as the narrator talked, showing how his voice varied the track.)

I think you'll like how I did the digital tracks. An image-processing program (I'm too dumb for Photoshop) took a strip of gray and gave it a "stippled" texture. Enlarging that gave me a field of random pixels, some black and some white. Colorizing them was no problem. Adobe Premiere let me take the SDDS track and just move every two frames to a different part of the strip - the same with the Dolby Digital (masking it with a Dolby Digital frame stolen from the web, and yes, there is the little Dolby symbol in there) - and the DTS timecode is a one-pixel strip of the aforementioned random pixels, blown WAY up. So none of the digital tracks contain any real data, but they look like it.

Thanks for the praise - I guess I just did it like some people work jigsaw puzzles.

BY THE WAY - if you haven't seen Internet Archive (which has grown to much more than film, and much more than the original Prelinger collection of ephemeral films) you really ought to - see http://www.archive.org/

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: