Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Robert Wise has passed away

Author Topic: Robert Wise has passed away
Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2005 02:39 AM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Wise passed away of heart failure this evening in Los Angeles. He was 91.

A prolific director who gained his start as an editor at RKO, Wise went on to direct a variety of musicals, science fiction classics, and dramas. He also served as President of AMPAS and DGA. Here is a partial list of some of his more notable films:

Citizen Kane (editor)
The Curse of the Cat People
The Day the Earth Stood Still
I Want to Live!
West Side Story
The Haunting (1966 version)
The Sound of Music
The Sand Pebbles
The Andromeda Strain
The Hindenburg
Star Trek: The Motion Picture

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-15-2005 09:49 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So sad to hear this on George Noory this morning. The first Robert Wise film that always comes to my mind is "The Day the Earth Stood Still". I had just finished listening to Bernard Herrmann's impressive score from this picture when I heard the news.

RIP

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-15-2005 09:53 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Star Trek: TMP" was and still is roundly criticized for being too slow and too serious. Yet in spite of its flaws, it remains memorable to this day. If you've ever seen it, you probably haven't forgotten it. And that's just one small sample of this great artist's work.

RIP Robert Wise.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-15-2005 12:32 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met Robert Wise at a SMPTE Technical Conference years ago, where he was keynote speaker at the awards luncheon. As both film editor and director, he was an "old school" craftsman with few equals, and many of his films have stood the test of time in popularity and entertainment. RIP. [Frown]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-15-2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So long, farewell, auf wiedersehen, goodbye!

[Frown]

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2005 01:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Sound of Music" is shown 9 October 2005 in Todd-AO (70mm DTS) on the curved screen in the Schauburg cinema, Karlsruhe, Germany.

The hills are alive thanks to Mr. Wise.

See: www.70mm.info

Anyone from FT attending?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-16-2005 02:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
"Star Trek: TMP" was and still is roundly criticized for being too slow and too serious. Yet in spite of its flaws, it remains memorable to this day
Yep, can't forget "V-GER" and almost 140 minutes of "what is going on here..?" that Christmas of 1979.

Yet, this movie introduced us to the new ST theme music we can't forget. Customers hated it, but was glad when "Wrath of Khan" came out in 1982 to help us forget the first one real quick, then it was definitely ST for sure from then on ..

RIP, Mr.Wise ....
-Monte

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2005 08:20 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
That’s low numbers man, well Robert Wise has left some good films for me to enjoy and celebrate the works of an artist in this industry, and these are a few films that I have on DVD and Laserdisc

West Side Story DVD / Laserdisc
The Sound of Music DVD
Star Trek: The Motion Picture DVD / Laserdisc

The best film I like is Star Trek: The Motion Picture only on Laserdisc, can I really trip out on this with music and sound design visual effects are totally cool, without slashing it into quick cuts; it helps the viewer to appreciate the visuals.

Robert Wise, God bless you…

Monte’

Did you know “V-GER” other wise know as “VOYAGER” is around +90 billion miles away, that may not impress you, but still working as we bitch and moan on this planet, sometimes I just think about how lonely it is for “VOYAGER” 1 and 2, there lots of data on the NASA web site and the JPL….

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-18-2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also consider the service life of those two units...pretty good as compared to most modern man-made products.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-18-2005 04:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Summers
Did you know “V-GER” other wise know as “VOYAGER” is around +90 billion miles away......
....most definitely, sir! The satellite was presented in the film and it was an easy guess with the old saying of "fill in the blank spaces".

Monte

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Monte’

Sorry didn’t know you’re a huge “VOYAGER” fan as I.

Steve’

You also like “VOYAGER” WOW this site is getting small now, someday they will pass by a planet and start sending back the data, the problem is the time it will take this data to reach are plant are home, for which someday we will have to give up?

As climates will be so unbearable, if you all get my meaning, time to move on or be extinct just like the dinosaurs….

Get the picture

Also other films that depicted the “VOYAGER” space probe is “STARMAN” 1984

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: