Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anybody ever have a run in with a deer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Anybody ever have a run in with a deer?
Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 09-14-2005 08:21 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the joy of meeting a deer last night that thought that it was frogger. Driving home on the freeway from a night audit, I was on the phone (headset) with Adam Martin when I noticed a deer make a break for the other side of the highway.

*edit* I forgot to mention - this was a highway running through the middle of DOWNTOWN!!!! *edit*

Further proving you can't stop my great comedic timing, I yelled out "Oh dear!" as it made friends with my front fender and scurried off into the night. My car kept driving, I was fine and thankful that I didn't have a reenactment of the viscious deer scene in "The Long Kiss Goodnight".

I surveyed the damage, broken headlight, heavily dented fender, a portion of my hood was crumbled and my passenger door (mostly unharmed) would not open because of the fender. I went and got quotes today for repairs [Eek!] $4125.77 [Eek!] for my little 2002 VW Golf.

Luckily my insurance deductible is only $500 and not $1000 like I had feared at the time... so I'm not as screwed as I originally thought.

Anybody else have any run ins with the fauna?

|  IP: Logged

Adam Heath
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Adam Heath   Email Adam Heath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hit one about a year and a half ago. I knew my time was coming because I have just missed one several times. I was driving home after closing one night and hit a doe as it was running acrossed the street. Luckily no damage to me and my car, except the license plate is all bent to hell. The deer died.

I almost hit another one last week. So I'm sure eventually I'll get one.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-14-2005 09:13 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott D. Neff
Anybody else have any run ins with the fauna?
You hit a baby deer... meanie!

I was once in a little- [bs] -box imported SUV that hit a cow.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 09-14-2005 09:39 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only one close call, also in the middle of a city. Driving down from the Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles after closing one night, a deer darted out right in front of me in my '68 VW Type 1 (the bug). Fortunately all I had to replace were my seat covers.

As for actually flattened fauna, I did nail a rabbit on a suicide mission one night on the highway near Bonnie Springs Ranch in Redrock Canyon here. Little bugger matched speed and closed from the side on my left front wheel. Same car. Thump thump.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 09:50 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have hit two and I had one hit me in the back door. It's kind of expected in Iowa, I don't know many adults that haven't hit one. Since I hit my three in just over a year and 1/2 my father got me vanity plates that say DEERKLR.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-14-2005 09:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did that one as well - hit a horse that got out of the farmer's field onto a highway when I was getting off and heading home at the Drive-In I was working at the time, that black morning without any moon at all.

Horse ran in front of me, smashed the right front fender and the horse landed on the hood smashing that one in as well, busting the windshield in the process.

The impact broke both of the rear legs of the horse, which hobbled down in the borrow pit along the road. Walked into this small town, called the State Police being on a state highway and did the report. They had to shoot the animal and the farmer was seriously fined for not maintaining his property's fenceline that lined the highway, plus had to pay for my car's damages and towing since the impact jammed the fender into the front tire and ripped it up pretty good.

Luckilly,I wasn't hurt, just shook up pretty bad being my first auto accident.

Lotsa fun when hitting things...Jackrabbits are fun to hit - they leave skidmarks on the highway (lol) - Monte

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-14-2005 10:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never hit a deer (knock on wood). But have had a couple odd encounters with them in Quantico, VA during my high school days.

One was during football practice. This is no lie; it really happened. We were running some simple plays and hitting. This medium sized 8-point buck comes running across the field, right through the middle of our group and then trots off the other end of the field into the woods. We're just standing there dumbfounded.

Another encounter was more scary. I was walking home fairly late at night after my brother left me on mainside of the Quantico Marine base with no ride home. It's really dark. I can barely see the road. An angry sounding scream comes from the woods. It sounds kind of like a really pissed off man. But the scream was followed by some heavy bashing through the trees. I stop, not knowing what I heard. Then I hear the scream again, followed by more of that bashing trees and brush crap. Someone or something was obviously coming toward me in a very pissed off manner. I ran my ass off all the way home. Only after describing the account to my father did I get clued in on what was in the woods. Just some territorial buck.

But to get back to cars versus deers stories, there was a good one on the Quantico Marine Corps base around that time. A Marine hit a deer on Russel Road not far from the Base Exchange. Thinking the deer was dead, he put it in his car with the intentions of taking it home and carving it up for the freezer. The deer wasn't dead. Just stunned. It came to and immediately began to demolish the interior of the poor guy's vehicle. He ran to a pay phone booth to call the MPs (this was in the early 1980's, well before cellphones were common and affordable). To make matters worse he got pinned in the phone booth by a neighbor's Doberman that got loose. That's some freaking bad luck.

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 11:35 PM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve hit two and had countless close calls. As of recently the deer have been leaving me alone. I think the know that my car is now worthless because of them, and they save the suicide missions for something more expensive.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-14-2005 11:44 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother hit THREE deer in the same spot during a two week period!

It was a spot about a mile from the house where a corn field comes right up to the road. He KNEW that was a spot for deer to do the "Two-Step" across the road. But he nailed one on the night before Thanksgiving about 5 years ago.

He came home all shook up and told me what happened. I pretty much laughed at him. (It's a brother's privilege.) We went back to take a look at it. He creamed it. All of its legs were broken. Its front legs were up around its head. The neck was twisted all the way around. All of the ribs were broken. Baically, he turned it into a maracca. He told me when he hit it it FLEW about 20-30 feet. He must have been clipping pretty good to do that! In PA if you hit a deer you can ask the game warden to let you take it home. (You have to turn in the head and the hide.) We took a pass on this one. It was so badly mangled up there would have been little or no edible meat.

So, we make the requisite calls to the game warden and the insurance company. He gets the car to the shop the next day. I took him to get a rental car. Everything was going well. Two days later, he did it AGAIN! It was virtually an exact duplicate of what happened before! Thank God he signed the CDW on the rental car!

Now we are on the second rental car. It was the night before he was supposed to get his car back from the shop. Same spot.... BAM!!! He does it again! This time he only nicked the deer. It made it from the scene but we figure it went into the woods and died. He says he's sure it broke a leg.

I had a close call one time. I was rounding a corner on a back country road when I saw a couple deer Two-step it across in front of me. I downshifted and slowed to a stop. Those deer made it across with room to spare. Next thing I know, there is a big, loud sound of a, "SNORT!!", in my left ear and I felt a strange wet mist on the side of my face. I look over and there is a deer head INSIDE my car! (Window was rolled down.) He was literally less than a foot away! I was so focused on the two deer in front of me I didn't see the third until it was right in my face!

He made a quick U-Turn and hot footed it back into the brush. I grabbed a napkin from the glove compartment. By the time I cleaned my face off there was no sign of the deer. I just settled myself, put the car in gear and went home.

From that day forward, I ALWAYS drive slowly on Bear Creek Road at night!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2005 02:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've hit three over the past 20 years, all on the same road. Two were in the evening, one was in broad daylight.

There is some open area between the main part of town and our house, and I have to dodge deer on my way home several times a week, moreso in the winter. I hate the friggin' things. I wish the hunting season were year-round, because the deer population is out of control, around here at least.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-15-2005 03:23 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, does your brother just not learn??? [Confused]

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 09-15-2005 08:22 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never hit a deer.... but a dear once hit me. [Smile]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to deliver film in West Virginia and would often see whole herds of deer along the sides of the highway. Only hit (and killed) one though...

Here in Appalachia there are deer everywhere, sometimes literally in my back yard.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-15-2005 09:41 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever hit any deer, because I usually see them before they have a chance to do anything. Since I've been driving a big truck, I have to look even farther down the road (stopping distance) and whenever I see one, I start giving short, quick blasts on the air horn to get their attention. So far, it's worked like a charm. They start beating a hasty retreat well before I'm on them.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-15-2005 12:41 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you think this  - is bad.

Try this:  -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: