Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Chief Justice Rehnquist has died

Author Topic: Chief Justice Rehnquist has died
Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 12:13 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He dide on Saturday night.. [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-04-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this earlier tonight. I was kinda shocked, and kinda not so shocked. His health hasn't been the best for a while now, but he always tried to put on a strong face for the country. I always thought he seemed like the "elder" of the court, if that makes sense. RIP.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He is going to be very hard to replace.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is Steve's fault this thread went south. Complain to him.

[ 09-10-2005, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2005 01:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
I always thought he seemed like the "elder" of the court, if that makes sense.
He was the oldest member of the Court having been appointed by Nixon in the early 1970's. Reagan mande him Chief Justice in 1986.

Further comments removed. It's Aaron's fault, too.

[ 09-10-2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-09-2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2 questions: how important/influential is the supreme court and the composition of its members? And why don't the judges retire at a certain age? I understand Rehnquist was 80 years.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2005 09:01 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Supreme Court is the highest court in the land. Justices are nominated by the President and confirmed by Congress/Senate. Appointments are for life, and there is no set retirement age.

Basically Michael, under the U.S. Constitution, the three branches of government: Executive (President), Judicial (Supreme Court) and Legislative (Congress/Senate) are set up so that they each "oversee" each other.

The Supreme Court decides what cases it will hear or not hear. And cases begin at the lower end of the Judicial system and work their way up to the Supreme Court via the appeals process. And the cases that the Supreme Court deals with transverse all aspects of American life.

The U.S. Constitution gives all the specifics (in rather easy to understand wording) of all three major branches of the U.S. Government.

Hope this helps.

Kutler

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-09-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, as Will sez, that is true. Unfortunately, the Supreme court justices, like all federal judges, are appointed for (their) life. NO matter how ***bad OR political*** they are, we're stuck with them. The nominees all depend on the sitting US President's whims.

That's why the confirmation process is soooo critical.

I'd like to see their term limited to like ... Ummmm 10-20 years.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-09-2005 09:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
NO matter how ***bad OR political*** they are, we're stuck with them.
But I guess the flip side to that is that a good and apolitical judge can't be kicked out of office for doing his or her job properly in a way that steps on political toes.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-09-2005 09:52 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true Leo... it cuts both ways...and again, that's why the confirmation process is very important.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 11:36 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Historically, the Founders didn't even know what the Court was supposed to do. They realized there should be some type of nationalized venue in which litigants could appeal if they felt lower courts misread their complaints, but the Constitution is quite vague as to what the ultimate role was to be.

The Court was discussed late in the Constitutional Convention of 1787 (about mid-August of that year), and many delegates were eager to get back to their home states before winter would restrict their travel. To them, Congress was the most important branch in the new government and most of the heated debates and compromises settled around the formation of that body. The first Supreme Court conviened (I believe) in 1790 and had almost no docket that first year. Most of the older Founders such as Rufus King and John Jay served as some of our first Justices.

The first case of monumental importance to come before the Court was Marbury v. Madison (1801). It centered around the appointment of William Marbury as a judge to a lower Federal Court in the last hours of the Presidency of John Adams. Marbury was a Federalist, the political party in which the modern-day Republicans indirectly descend from. Incoming Democrat Secretary of State James Madison cancelled Marbury's appointment, filling the position with one of his guys. Marbury sued and the case went before the Court. Chief Justice John Marshall ruled Marbury gets his judgeship, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, the Supreme Court would now serve as a check on the other branches of government so no one branch could become more powerful than the other two. This is what we call Judicial Review .

In light of what is about to happen, given two new Justices will be appointed to the Court very soon, it is important to remember the history and how this branch has come into its own over the past 200 years.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, I thought we were going to keep politics out of these threads.

A tad bit more moderating, and I'm done!

[ 09-10-2005, 02:24 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-10-2005 02:16 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you people suck. This discussion should have ended after the second post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: