Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Is the old Auckland IMAX Centre haunted?

Author Topic: Is the old Auckland IMAX Centre haunted?
Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2005 12:01 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With best regards to our Kiwi friends, this is just odd.

quote:
Man dead in city picture theatre

Auckland City News Release, 4:01pm 5 July 2005

The body of a young man - estimated to be in his 20s - was found by cleaners at about 2.20pm today in theatre 10 of the Skycity Metro complex on Queen St [formerly known as the Imax centre].

Police and a pathologist are at the scene and are investigating the cause of the man's death.

It's believed the young man had been in the theatre since about 12.30pm for a screening of the film, "A Lot Like Love" which ended at about 2.15pm.

source

quote:
Man falls to his death at Auckland cinema complex

05 September 2005

A man fell to his death yesterday at Auckland's Village SkyCity Cinemas, landing just metres away from people eating in the food court below.

The man died about 3.45pm after falling to the ground floor food court from a bridge on level 6 of the Queen St entertainment complex.

After reviewing security camera footage police are confident there are no suspicious circumstances.

The entertainment complex was closed yesterday afternoon while police investigated the death.

SkyCity Metro general manager Noel Dempsey said the company was co-operating with police.

He would not comment on safety aspects of the complex saying the police investigation was still under way.

Five years ago 16-year-old Danial Gardner died at the complex, then called the Imax Centre, after falling from a ledge near the cinemas.

An inquest found that the balcony was up to 70mm lower than shown on plans and a building consent.

New rails were installed after the tragedy. Toughened glass was used to raise barrier heights to between 1.2m and 1.3m, exceeding the building code minimum height of 1m.

source

|  IP: Logged

Robert Harrison
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Robert Harrison   Email Robert Harrison   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strange, yet...weird.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2005 02:24 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm lower at an IMAX theatre... hmmm... [uhoh]

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2005 11:09 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's more a case of really bad luck and it's really sad as that particular centre is very impressive with various walkways streaching across its height to the cinemas (which are on two different levels), candy bar and various periferals on several levels. The glass elevator even travels past the projection room for cinemas 1 - 6 on its way to the third level. Village Force have my sinserest sympathies.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that they have some of the lowest "per caps" for foor because you have to pass food courts on the way to the cinemas?

Joseph L. Kleiman
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Joseph L. Kleiman   Email Joseph L. Kleiman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been researching MTM for an article I'm writing on the Australian IMAX theatres. The Auckland complex was center stage in a controversy between MTM, Force, and Shamrock (the holding company of Disney dissident and nephew Roy E. Disney) back in 2001 over ownership, financing, and growing piles of debt. Two years later, plans for the theater to host the annual GSTA conference were scrapped when the IMAX suddenly closed, and the conference was moved to the Glasgow Science Centre. That's why the deaths caught my interest. I guess the location is haunted in more ways than one.

Warren Smyth
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 08:29 PM      Profile for Warren Smyth   Email Warren Smyth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, this is the second fatality at this complex. A teenager sat on the hand rail of a walkway shortly after the complex opened. He over balanced backward and dropped about ten stories down to the ground floor, the same area as the latest accident.

There was critism of approval being given for the height of the wide rail at the time, which had apparently been used as a seat. I think litigation is still pending from the boy's parents.

The complex is still open, running regular films but Imax presentaions ceased some months ago. There has been rumours that it would reopen but it seems audiences over here aren't keen to pay fairly high admission prices for only about 45 minutes of large screen entertainment.

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 09:14 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i too have heard they are going to resume imax presentation in october or november. they still use the imax screen to show regular 35mm, however. looks like i should take a trip to the city sometime with my trusty PKE meter and proton pack, cause i aint afraid of no ghost!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 09-14-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Warren Smyth
Actually, this is the second fatality at this complex.
I would never have guessed that based on the second article. [Big Grin] [Razz]

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2005 10:38 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have also had a speaker fall from the wall of an auditorium and injure a young girl.

quote: Brian Hogan
however. looks like i should take a trip to the city sometime with my trusty PKE meter and proton pack
Don't forget your helmet [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: