Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Can I legally give a way a copy of a poster if I booked the film?

Author Topic: Can I legally give a way a copy of a poster if I booked the film?
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am at a total loss here. I have booked the movie The Goonies and before the showings we often give a way a prize. Well, we wanted to take a copy of the poster and shrink it down to a 5x7 size and frame it to give it away. Is it legal to do this? We are a nonprofit agency--if that makes a difference. We are using this as a way of advertising.

Please any advice on this?

Thanks,
Cody

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-07-2005 11:44 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you considered asking the distributor? Technically, the poster is probably copyrighted, but I can't imagine that anyone would have any issue with a theatre that wants to distribute promotional material for the film.

Some promotional material (think "pressbooks" and "8x10 stills") is actually intended to be duplicated by theatres. As long as you aren't modifying the artwork, selling it, or using the poster for some purpose other than promoting the film, I doubt that anyone would give you any trouble about it.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2005 12:13 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't ask.....Don't tell..... [thumbsup]

Don

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-07-2005 12:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not just give away the actual poster as the prize rather than going thru the motions of reducing and framing a copy?

Unless, of course, the poster was borrowed and they wanted it back...

-Aaron

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-07-2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the poster art and poster is a copyrighted work. By the studio and the artist. Some press items can be copied for printing and magazines articles, while others you have to get permission.

quote: Scott Norwood
Have you considered asking the distributor?
That might work on films that are within a few years of their release. "The Goonies" is from 1985, thats 20 years ago. The studio does not stock pile older posters. Older Studio press materials have been seen to storage and to the University of Southern California for the Warner collection. I was assigned to Warner from 1983-1989. During that time we had Cineplex Odeon in Westwood & the Cineplex Fairfax Theatres ran special shows. They first tried National Screen Service for materials, but they were out of stock. Then they tried the studio for the one sheets or other materials. They were looking for "Blade Runner", "Blazing Saddles", "My Fair Lady", "The Music Man" & "The Shining". The department did not have any posters available on those titles anymore. My boss asked me about those titles. So they borrowed the one sheets for my collection for there engagements.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2005 02:29 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For $14 you can buy a full size liscensed reproduction to give away...

MovieGoods.Com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: