Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Another Road Trip For Mike (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Another Road Trip For Mike
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 08:30 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call me crazy with the price of gas, but I'm about to embark on another cross country road trip. This one has been planned for a while and I'm too selfish to cancel or postpone! Destination: Washington, D.C. to do some work at the Library of Congress and to take in a Washington Nationals game (some of you are aware of my baseball stadium quest obsession thing).

So, as with my previous road trips, if any film-tech members want to meet up for coffee or a beer or a tour of your theater, please let me know. Either post here or contact me via email.

My route: El Paso >>> Dallas >>> Memphis >>> Nashville >>> Lexington >>> Charleston, WV >>> D.C.

On the return: D.C. >>> Philadelphia >>> Pittsburgh >>> Columbus >>> Indianapolis >>> Quad Cities >>> St. Louis >>> Oklahoma City >>> Albuquerque >>> Phoenix >>> Los Angeles.

I'd also like to make it to New York City, but budget and time issues may prevent that visit.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2005 09:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Adam Heath
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 02:06 PM      Profile for Adam Heath   Email Adam Heath   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're obsessed with baseball stadiums too huh??? I've only gotten to 10, but my goal is to hit one or two new ones a year. I'm in the Quad Cities so give a shout when you are coming through.

Adam

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 02:43 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dinners on me in Columbus, Mike. Let me know when you are coming through.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only baseball stadiums that I would consider worthy a visit would be any that still have ***REAL*** grass. Any other place is just an imitation! Wrigley Field is still my #1 favorite and the pizza there is awsome! No other park that I've visited has the aura that Wrigley has. I sure miss Harry Carey though!
 -

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking of Wrigley Field (where the Bears used to play before Soldier Field came in..), these classic old stadiums are getting far and few between.

Wonder how Chicago likes their new Soldier Field compared to the old one? Granted, it just doesn't seem the same.

-Monte

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-04-2005 07:25 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louisville has an almost-new old style baseball stadium; grass Louis

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-04-2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
I hope you post some pics of your trip... especially some with you in them... [Wink]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-04-2005 09:10 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who like ballparks, Fenway is just as good as Wrigley (yes, I've been to both). Also, there are lots of really great minor-league parks scattered throughout the country, often in smaller cities and sometimes in more rural areas.

Fenway Park, circa 2003:

-

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-04-2005 09:52 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

RFK stadium has REAL grass so I guess it qualifies as a real stadium. RFK switches between soccer and baseball in 36-hours. Half of the seats are moved between modes (they are on this gigantic track).

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike

Sent you a PM. Contact me when you get to Phoenix. Can show you around my Department at ASU

Shane Cooper
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2005 10:43 PM      Profile for Shane Cooper   Email Shane Cooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Give me a shout when you get to Columbus. I will show you around the my theater.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2005 11:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Fenway is just as good as Wrigley (yes, I've been to both).
Great B&W shot Scott!! Fenway is a great place with a great history but..... Fenway doesn't have the beautiful skyline that Wrigley does... that adds ALOT to the aura of the place. I've been to Fenway, but that was a long time ago. To me you seem more closed in at Fenway but at Wrigley its alot more open.... even Wrigley's main stands are just more open because of the design of the park.

As I said Steve... any field with real grass certainly qualifies and that wold include JFK [thumbsup] !! Our own Franklin Covey Field is just 1/2 block from our shops..... Great field and probably the best view of any ballpark in existance... but the team sucks(Minor League stuff), so I go mainly to enjoy the Crowd, the field and the view. Thats the Wasatch Mountains in the background and the peak in the center is Mount Olympus at just a bit over 9,000'.

-

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-05-2005 02:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and as it happens, I'm doing something similar, but in the opposite direction - heading off for 10 days in California tomorrow to do some research in archives at San José and Los Angeles. For obvious reasons it won't be a road trip, though! I'm pretty much booked up for every moment of the Los Angeles days, but if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do with a couple of evenings in San José (any must-see theatres?), I'd be grateful for any tips.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2005 05:09 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
leo, if you can make it to palo alto, the stanford theater is worth checking out.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: