Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Why Would Anybody Ship By USPS? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Why Would Anybody Ship By USPS?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 08:36 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought a few things off Ebay and gotten good service on all, but if you look at feedback, most complaints come from slow delivery, lost items, and damaged items shipped by USPS. Granted it is slightly cheaper but the risk of it getting lost or mashed is MUCH greater. Their tracking is almost non existant too, as it is tracked only when received and when it goes thru a major distribution center. Cross country seems to take at least 10 days. USPS next day always takes 2 or 3 days! UPS ground cross country arrives in 3 or 4 days max.
Why do so many Ebay shippers use tht Postal Service? Seems that they are just asking for trouble.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that most of the folks I have sold to opt for the USPS media rate because it is quite a bit cheaper than UPS. Granted, its slow and tracking is less than optimal, but with insurance and delivery confirmation it seems to be the way most folks choose.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost never a problem with UPS or Fed Exp. Louis

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used USPS for nearly all my ebay sales. Never had a single problem. Priority Mail gets there in 3 days tops, usually 2 days. There's no extra charge for a residential or Saturday delivery. Overall it's significantly cheaper than FedEx or UPS. A delivery confirmation (which is all I care about when I'm shipping something) is only 45 cents.

Bill: Are you confusing Express Mail and Priority Mail? Express is overnight. Priority is 2-3 days.

According to the UPS website, a ground pkg. shipped from Eugene to New York City on Aug. 29th would be scheduled to arrive in NYC on Sept. 6th.

I receive packages of all sizes where I work, from USPS, UPS, and FedEx. Trust me -- They ALL mangle packages, fairly regularly, especially UPS.

EDIT: I chose a bad example -- The 5th is a holiday. That UPS shipment would normally arrive in 7 days, not 8.

[ 08-27-2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: David Stambaugh ]

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-27-2005 11:24 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the parcels I receive come via USPS. Once in a while I get one from them that's been mangled or run over. Never had a mangled one from either UPS or FedEx.

As for insurance with USPS, don't bother. You will never collect a dime from them. I've had several claims that went nowhere with them, literally. All the paperwork and damaged goods (evidence) simply disappear. I seem to recall Brad posted somewhere around here about similar issues with USPS.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 12:02 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at Fed Ex Ground as my second job, I'm a AM Package Handler. Which means I get up at 3:30am and go in and load the trucks so the drivers can deliver the packages that day. I can say that most damaged boxes come when some idiot who is loading the over the road trailer at one of the main terminals puts all the small boxes on the bottom and then decides hes going to put 20 tires on top of them...or something else like that. You get the idea.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 12:25 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased an item for a gazillion dollars & Damn if the seller didn't send it usps "Media mail". [Roll Eyes] I told him I'd gladly pay for FedEx overnight (It was that rare & costly) but, nope! Media mail it came...slowely. [sleep] It did arrive but not before i aged an extra 10 years. FedEx ground for Me. [Big Grin]

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll ship by any means the buyer chooses. What do I care, he's paying the freight. I do insist on insurance though, because without it, you don't have a prayer. IMHO

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2005 01:28 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had a problem with USPS on my ebay sales. (900+ plus now) On bulkier items I tried UPS for a while. They damage about 50% of what they ship & always claim I didn't pack it right! [Mad]

So now heavier items all go Fed-Ex ground. Great service and they stand behind their work. UPS --- NEVER AGAIN! [thumbsdown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-27-2005 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USPS "Overnight" or "Express" or whatever they want to call it, is a joke. If you send something "overnight" from here (or any small town that doesn't have a USPS hub in it), it will take two days to get there if the destination is over 100 miles away. UPS, on the other hand, will get it there the next day guaranteed, with every package fully trackable from the day it's picked up. But, you pay extra for efficiency.

As far as damage -- at my day job, we operate a UPS counter as a sideline. We send out thousands of packages a year. I would have to say that 99% of damage claims (and there are very few) are caused by the improper packaging done by the customer. I once had a guy try to ship a TV set in a box that was not deep enough for the set -- the back end of the tube was literally pushing out the side of the box. (We didn't accept it until he got a bigger box.)

Where UPS really gets you is in the rates. UPS's bottom rate is one pound, between 3 and 4 dollars depending on distance. Then they tack on surcharges for things like fuel, rural areas, residential addresses, etc. You can easily spend 7 or 8 dollars to send a one-pound package. If you send something large, oddly shaped, or "not encased in cardboard," God help you as they tack on "Oversize," "Large package surcharge," "Additional handling charge," and so on. And they keep on changing the applicable measurements, weight limits, etc. It's almost impossible to keep up with all the changes.

As you go up in weight, the rates tend to get closer and UPS will beat out the post office in many cases.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-27-2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the USPS priority and international flat rate for shipping circuit boards all over the world when I host a group buy like we do at DIY Audio.....

Fed-Ex has been the MOST trouble and UPS the least. I have to admit that Fed-Ex has made me quite rich at times paying all sorts of insurance claims, one of which was over 6500.00 on an Arriflex camera they totaled.

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2005 09:09 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On bulkier items I tried UPS for a while. They damage about 50% of what they ship & always claim I didn't pack it right!
If you're serious about that 50% number, then your packing is [iabsolutely at fault.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-28-2005 09:13 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although some of the boxes I receive are badly mangled, I've never received damaged merchandise. Boxes containing 21" computer monitors are frequently very abused, but the monitors have always survived without a scratch.

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2005 04:39 AM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had a problem getting an item from USPS. But a Fedex and a UPS shipment both never made it to me. I lived in an apartment complex and they just laid the box in front of my door, and they where ripped off. They told me @ FEDEX and UPS a signature is not required for deliveries going to private residences. When they replace the cost they DO NOT replace the shipping charges. [fu] I will not buy if they do not ship USPS.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-29-2005 07:30 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to ship most small stuff via USPS because they are convenient and usually cheaper than UPS or Fedex. Film can be shipped "Special 4th Class," which is significantly cheaper than parcel post, although the packages tend to be handled roughly. Technically, I believe that this is only supposed to be used for 16mm film, but no one at the USPS seems to notice or care about the film gauge.

I have yet to find anyone who has had success in making an insurance claim with the USPS; therefore, I never buy the insurance, nor do I buy the delivery confirmation service.

USPS's tracking system is pretty much useless; for packages that need to be tracked, I've been reasonably happy with both UPS and Fedex Ground. I prefer to receive packages via UPS, however, as Fedex and Fedex Ground both have a tendency to leave packages on my doorstep (which a bad idea in a downtown apartment, though I've only had one that was apparently stolen). Fedex actually does make good on their insurance. I've never had to make a claim with UPS, but have heard bad things.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: