Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » What Are Your Favorite Trailers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: What Are Your Favorite Trailers?
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 04:49 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it asks in the subject line, what is your favorite coming attractions trailer(s), and why?

These can be "favorites" for a variety of reasons; creative, well-produced, includes footage not in the final cut, memorable use of music, memorable audience response, really made you want to see the movie, saw it with someone special, etc.

Superman teaser
Aerial footage through the sky with the "S" logo appearing at the end along with the slogan, "This Christmas, You'll Believe A Man Can Fly." And I must say that, as a ten-year-old kid at the time, the filmmakers succeeded in making me believe. [thumbsup]

The Goonies teaser
If I'm remembering the trailer correctly, this was a fairly short teaser featuring the title logos being displayed, one by one, of Steven Spielberg and Richard Donner movies. A single letter would remain on screen as the title faded out. Collectively, the letters spelled "Goonies" which then dissolved into the "Goonies" logo.

I saw this trailer only once, with "Ladyhawke" (70mm presentation, Edwards South Coast Plaza, Costa Mesa, CA). I've always wanted to see the trailer again because I liked it a lot, plus I want to confirm I remember it correctly! It's not included on the DVD (unless it's an "Easter Egg" that I cannot locate).

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-24-2005 05:05 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original Psycho trailer in which Hitch wanders round the set making all sorts of innuendo-strewn comments is my favourite... but at nearly 7 minutes long it doesn't really work with modern audiences. The last time the film had a major rerelease there were some prints of the trailer too; and in the theatre I saw it people were losing interest and starting conversations long before the climax.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-24-2005 07:59 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer for "Independence Day" got lots of response and applause from the audience every time I saw it, especially the scene with the White House getting blown up.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to think about favorites in terms of the way they were put together, but two for not specifically artistic reasons are...

Monsters, Inc. - Disney/Pixar released a trailer for this along with the first Harry Potter film (Monster, Inc. opened 2 weeks before Harry Potter). In it Sulley & Mike play charades, Sulley is trying to get Mike to guess "Harry Potter". I don't remember the exact wording but it ended with the voice over of "Now playing at a theatre near you, very near, maybe even the one next to you" or something like that. I like the fact that they created a trailer just to play on one specific movie.

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - I saw the first teaser for this when I saw Underworld at a sold out, opening night show at the Chinese in Hollywood. It was set up like a commercial for some miracle skin cream, and the voice over eventually said "some side effects can occur" and it cut to a quick progression of shots with zombies, ending with Milla Jovovich cocking a shotgun. Certainly not the best trailer ever made, but it was perfect for that audience, a huge roaring cheer went up from the audience when they realized which movie it was for, louder than I'd ever heard in a movie auditorium before - say what you will about that movie &/or trailer, but at that moment, there were a bunch of happy filmgoers, it was an interesting thing to witness.

Paul Turner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 02:11 PM      Profile for Paul Turner   Email Paul Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talk to Her
The trailer had nothing to do with the film but was wonderful to watch. The movie was extreamly unsuccessful for us, but I loved it.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 come to mind:

Home Movies (Correction: Should be REAL LIFE) (Albert Brooks) This is the famous 3-D trailer. Part is in anaglyph 3-D, but glasses are not provided!! Has nothing to do with the film, but is hilarious. I think it climaxes with a paddle-ball guy in the room with Albert, and Brooks saying, "It's almost like he's in the room!" (I may not have that last quote correct, but you get the idea.)

CONVOY -- Better than the film. They play the song CONVOY and illustrate it with scenes from the film.

THIS IS SPINAL TAP --- Nothing like a cheese festival to tell about a rock and roll documentary. Very funny.

COMEDIAN -- The greatest trailer of all time, with legendary voiceover artist Hal Douglas having a complete meltdown.

Speaking of voiceovers, has anyone ever seen a short film called 5 Men and a Limo? It has the 5 top voiceover guys in a car going to an award ceremony. Very funny. I just came across this last night. File is fuzzy, but pretty good. Too big to upload here, however (7.81 meg)

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-24-2005 03:36 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Lensenmayer
Home Movies (Albert Brooks)
Were you thinking of "Real Life" (1979), "Home Movies" was by Brian DePalma.

One of my favorite trailers was "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" with the Buttometer gag.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 03:42 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the correction, Bill...I was in too much of a hurry. I'll correct it. Sorry.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 04:08 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Showgirls" [thumbsup] redband

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 05:34 PM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must agree, the Showgirls redband trailer was quite the eye opener the first time that I saw it.

"Twister"- movie sucked but I loved watching everybody jump in the auditorium when the tire goes flying towards the camera.

"Gone in 60 Seconds"- Yet another movie where the trailer was better than the actual film. Expert editing on this and it's extremely fast paced. Loved it!!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-24-2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comedian is definitely high on my list.

Also:

Ed Wood
Star Wars reissue (1997)
Lost World (the one with the synchronized strobe lights)
Citizen Kane
Psycho (original, long version)
Lost Highway

...and many others that I can't think of right now.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 06:16 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently I really enjoyed the new Harry Potter trailer. It starts with a montage of the 3 main actors as they appeared in each of the previous films. Just that image alone as they seem to grow up had me hooked. They didn't have to say anything or tell anything about the new film and I know what I was watching.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-24-2005 07:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Twister - The first teaser trailer in Dolby Digital. This was back when digital trailers were almost unheard of. We played all of the other trailers in mono, and "Twister" was last. I always liked to go into the auditorium and watch it. When the first sound started which was the narration saying "Even as the seasons change..." there would always be audible gasps from the audience over the sound quality alone. It was a HUGE difference from the trailers they had just been listening to. The entire trailer had superb sound mixing, FAR BETTER than the sound in the actual movie which wasn't special at all. What a horrible movie that was. All I remember was that the therapist lady had really nice boobies and I wanted to play with them.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-24-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One from recent years that sticks in my mind is the first trailer for PETER PAN with the music "Clocks" by coldplay. The trailer was better than the movie.

TWISTER - Yeah! I remember that trailer very well. The sound was amazingly good.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 08-24-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the third version of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy trailer was perfect. It's by no means the first time a trailer used a self-referential, self-aware gimmick, but it fit so nicely. Of COURSE it had to have "movie trailers" as an entry in the Guide itself. Extra fun was that the explosions and bikini girl in the trailer were nowhere to be found in the film itself!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: