Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Deleting voicemail on Cingular (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Deleting voicemail on Cingular
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-23-2005 01:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a cell phone with Sprint and when someone would call and leave one of those half hour long droning messages I could just hit "7" once I had enough of the rambling to cut it off and delete it, but last week I switched over to Cingular and found out that you have to listen to the entire damn thing before you can delete it!

I understand Verizon is like this too. Does anyone know of a workaround?

|  IP: Logged

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 02:07 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have cingular and at any time during the message I hit 3, the message is deleted.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 02:22 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have telus and 7 will delete mid message
on the office voice mail 33 jumps to the end of the message then I hit 7

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the Cingular website for phones used in Texas:

http://www.cingular.com/download/3961_Lucent_VM_QuickGuide.pdf

http://www.cingular.com/customer_service/common_voice_mail

quote:
Voice Mail Quick Guide
Based on your location, you can view and print a Quick Guide that assists with setting up voice mail, retrieving your messages, changing your settings, and navigating the voice mail system.

Maybe try hitting "77"?

Or fast forward "3" or "33" and then "7"?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-23-2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hitting 3 skips to the end of the message, thus giving me the option of 7 for delete.

Thanks!

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 02:58 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Brad, I was having to wait until the end of the message too. Thanks for the info!

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Cingular and I had the same problem but I found hitting the 77 works anytime during the message.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, on my cingular phone, pressing 3 deletes the message. It doesn't matter if I am half way through the message or at the end.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 07:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cingular is a little schizo since they're still part Cingular and part AT&T. Their former AT&T customers (like me) are handled separately, probably due to the AT&T contracts we originally signed or something. Anyway thanks for the tips on how to delete msgs.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 07:15 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have CIngular and hit "33" to delete a message in the middle.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2005 09:17 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Atlanta Cingular like this: push 3 at anytime during a voice mail and it's gone. 7 repeats the message.
You would think that EVERY Cingular phone would work the same way [Eek!]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-23-2005 09:27 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had cingular for the last 2 years. It used to be 3, now I just have to hit 7 once to instantly delete the message.
The voicemail system here was recently changed and has vastly improved. Before, you had to call from your actual phone and dial in a PIN. Now, you can call from any phone and dial in the PIN or set it up so that you can call from your phone without a PIN.
That is much better. You can listen to your messages by just pressing 1 button, without having to fumble around to enter your PIN.
What really sucked before was that, since you had to call from your phone, when roaming to our locations in Mexico, I couldn't check messages at all even though we had international roaming activated. But the voicemail system wouldn't recognize the number of your phone because of the international prefix, and that was the end of it.
Or if you are out of battery, now you can check messages from another phone.
That's a much better system.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 06:17 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off topic but still cingular related.

Has anyone on the forum in the Atlanta area had the problems over the last few months with Cingular that I have had? The coverage seems to be getting worse and worse. In areas like my house where I used to have rock solid signal, I now have to move outside in the driveway to get a just barely useable signal. I have also found that in general around the Atlanta area the coverage is spotty at best. Going down an interstate like I-20 on the east side of Atlanta, one would expect reasonable coverage, but I drop in and out so often I might as well not even try to carry on a conversation. One day recently in the space of about 6 miles the phone dropped out at least 4 times and I had to re-dial.

I have talked to other Cingular customers with much newer phones than mine and they are reporting the same exact problems. Cingular seems to have no answers when I call their customer no-service department. They tell me to switch my phone off, wait a couple of minutes, and then turn it back on. They also say not to leave the the phone turned on all the time, for example, to turn it off at night when I am not using it. These sound like answers they have cooked up to just stall their customers because they can't fix the real problems.

It was NOT this way in the past. I have been a Cingular customer since long before they were Cingular, over 10 years now, and it has gotten so bad that I am ready to close my account. Problem is, I am not sure if any other provider is any better.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-24-2005 06:47 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our area (Annaoplis, MD), it seems that SPRINT has gotten better and better. Most notably in the last 6 months or so. Also, with their free&clear plans...no more roaming charges...so if I'm on analog in the boonedocks...doesn't matter same price.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 09:06 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar,

Up here in Kennesaw I've noticed NO change in signal. We've had the service like you since the early 90's. I think it's actually gotten better. No complaints here. [Smile]

Don

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: