Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Synthesizer pioneer Bob Moog dead at 71

Author Topic: Synthesizer pioneer Bob Moog dead at 71
Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-22-2005 12:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad announcement from the Moog Music Website:

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — August 21, 2005 — Bob Moog died this afternoon at his home in Asheville, N.C. He was 71. Bob was diagnosed with brain cancer (glioblastoma multiforme or GBM) in late April 2005. He had received both radiation treatment and chemotherapy to help combat the disease. He is survived by his wife, Ileana, his five children, Laura Moog Lanier, Matthew Moog, Michelle Moog-Koussa, Renee Moog, and Miranda Richmond; and the mother of his children, Shirleigh Moog.

Bob was warm and outgoing. He enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. He especially appreciated what Ileana referred to as "the magical connection" between music-makers and their instruments.

No public memorial is planned. Fans and friends can direct their sympathies or remembrances to http://www.caringbridge.com/visit/bobmoog.

Bob's family has established The Bob Moog Foundation dedicated to the Advancement of Electronic Music in his memory. Many of his longtime collaborators including musicians, engineers and educators have agreed to sit on its executive board including David Borden, Wendy Carlos, Joel Chadabpe, John Eaton, David Mash, and Rick Wakeman. For more information about the foundation, contact Matthew Moog at mattmoog@yahoo.com.

[Frown] RIP Bob. [Frown]

-Aaron

|  IP: Logged

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 12:44 AM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure the guys from Kraftwerk are bowing their heads in a moment of remembrance [Frown]

Dan Bouvier
Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 12:47 AM      Profile for Dan Bouvier   Email Dan Bouvier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RIP Bob [Frown]

Speaking of synths, here's a page that talks about how they made the THX sound.

""The oscillators were not simple - they had 1-pole smoothers on both amplitude and frequency. At the beginning, they form a cluster from 200 to 400 Hz. I randomly assigned and poked the frequencies so they drifted up and down in that range. At a certain time (where the producer assured me that the THX logo would start to come into view), I jammed the frequencies of the final chord into the smoothers and set the smoothing time for the time that I was told it would take for the logo to completely materialize on the screen. At the time the logo was supposed to be in full view, I set the smoothing times down to very low values so the frequencies would converge to the frequencies of the big chord (which had been typed in by hand - based on a 150-Hz root), but not converge so precisely that I would lose all the beats between oscillators. All followed by the fade-out. It took about 4 days to program and debug the thing. The sound was produced entirely in real-time on the ASP."

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-22-2005 03:59 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and Gershon Kingsley - who wrote "Popcorn" for the MOOG. He should be included in this as well - being one of the original composers for the MOOG.

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 08:37 AM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The late Eric Siday was a friend of Wendy Carlos & Moog's second customer to buy his synth. Siday was known in the mid 1960's to produce jingles for Screen Gems,CBS,ABC,Maxwell House & others.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 11:47 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry "Wires" Fast I am sure is bowing his head as well. Rest in peace.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-22-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listening to Wendy Carlos' Switched-On Boxed Set today.

Rest In Peace, Bob Moog.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2005 03:39 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Allison Parsons
I'm sure the guys from Kraftwerk are bowing their heads in a moment of remembrance
Not to mention Walter Carlos (who later became Wendy Carlos).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-22-2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure Nine Inch Nails (Trent Reznor) has to be mourning Moog's passing.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-23-2005 09:01 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Sad to lose great people, but their great work will live on.

Ioan Allen introduced me to Wendy Carlos at an SMPTE Conference in NYC in the early '90s. She is not only a brilliant musician, but very astute technically. A true "renaissance person" in many ways. Here are her movie credits:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0137793/

She also did the music for the short Dolby demo/test film "Listen".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: