Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Carmike Theaters: Jargon Masters

Author Topic: Carmike Theaters: Jargon Masters
Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 12:07 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike's listing for each of its three Minneapolis megaplexes in the print edition of the Star Tribune has begun to include some illustriously descriptive terms for their sound systems.

Among them: Dolby Stereo Digital
Dolby DTS Digital Stereo
Dolby DTS Digital Stereo Digital
Dolby DTS Digital Digital
and Stereo Digital

The wonderful part is that these are all single auditoriums in theaters that are half Dolby, half DTS, with no swapping between showtimes. I can't recall a time I went to the Carmike 15 in Apple Valley and actually saw a feature with working digital sound. The Dolby Digital reverted out constantly and it seemed like they were unaware that you had to change the DTS discs for different movies.

Yeah, yeah, same Carmike rant I always go off on. From a technically educated standpoint, they have always had the worst presentation.

But I have to give crapmike special kudos for pushing the digital bandwagon further into obscurity. Throwing the word "digital" at patrons is devaluing the houses that actually work hard to ensure a quality presentation. Throwing a DTS or THX trailer onto scratched, dim features with distracting lighting and messy auditoriums raises patron's levels of frustrations, and makes the average or occasional moviegoer associate digital sound with loudness or more pre-show advertising. And in this case, more pandering before they even decide to go out to a movie.

Sorry I don't have a working scanner for an image, I let this go for a few weeks, thinking it was a type-o, I'm thinking, now that it really is an advertising method for crapmike.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The local UCI near me had: (according to the website)

SDS: Sony Digital Sound in some of the screens and,
SDDS: Sony Dynamic Digital Sound in the larger screens.
[Confused] [Roll Eyes]

As of 20th Aug they have now corrected their website(SDS has now been changed to DDS)

The last time I went to this theatre was for "Dark Water".

The showing was in Dolby Digital, But the surround channels were DEAD. (throughout the ads, trailers and first 5 mins of the feature) - when I left. At least the duty manager new what he was doing, he admitted there was a problem, applogised and the 2 passes are in my pocket. [Smile]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 03:50 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could "Dolby DTS Digital Sound" be a DTS unit run through a Dolby processor?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 04:59 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
Yeah, yeah, same Carmike rant I always go off on. From a technically educated standpoint, they have always had the worst presentation.
Again, I MUST point out, as others have done numerous times... any presentation is dependant on the level of care and skill shown by the staff, from the Manager down. A [bs] ty presentation at one carmike does not mean that ALL Carmike's have shitty presentation. The same is true for ANY theatre chain.

If you have a bad burger at Hardee's in your twon, does that imply that all Hardee's burgers are bad in every town? Most certainly not...

Also, please be aware that, in many locations, agencies place ads. This includes insertion of logos. They screw these up royally a huge part of the time. Don't know why.. especially when the proof was checked over and signed off on and they STILL muck it up. This only helps erode the individual theatre image further. Most folks, and I mean MOST FOLKS, couldn't tell the difference bewteen SRŽ and SR-DŽ anyway... [Roll Eyes]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-20-2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said. Management and staff is the primary factor on what makes a theater any good or not. They must have a good work ethic and care about quality presentation. It also helps if they really love movies.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 12:10 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that Jason and Bobby would sound off on this thread as soon as I saw the title. They are the official Carmike Cinemas cheerleaders. [Wink]

No offense guys, I am just joking with you [Smile]

See this thread about Carmike: http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=004009#000000

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2005 08:35 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jason Black
Again, I MUST point out, as others have done numerous times... any presentation is dependant on the level of care and skill shown by the staff, from the Manager down. A ty presentation at one carmike does not mean that ALL Carmike's have shitty presentation. The same is true for ANY theatre chain.
Sounds like I might be NCAA material, huh? [Roll Eyes]

Sorry to pipe up.. wait, no, I'm NOT sorry I'm piping up. Hell, I'm not even in the business anymore, but after 17 years with Carmike.. I tend to take any blanket statement to heart. As I've said time and time and time again.. it's heavily LOCATION dependant.

On bad steak at TGI Fridays doesn't mean all TGIF's have bad steak... HOWEVER, two bad steaks at the same place... you've got a TGIF with shitty steaks...no doubt about it.. [Smile]

Bad analogy, maybe, but anyone with 1/2 a brain (save Phil) gets the point.

Besides, can you REALLY see either Bobby or myself in a skirt or some tighty outfit with pom-poms?.. LOL.. Umm, NO.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-24-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me? In a tight skirt and holding pom poms? Hell, the visual thought of that even scares me enough to consider calling a shrink for counseling!
[Eek!]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: