Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Disabled 7 year old ejected from theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Disabled 7 year old ejected from theater
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-18-2005 03:39 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Story here

quote:

Disabled 7-year-old ejected from theater

By Dave Richardson
Times Herald-Record
drichardson@th-record.com

Town of Wallkill – If you're a 7-year-old kid with cerebral palsy and autism, you have to take your laughs anywhere you can get them.
Just don't have too much fun at the local movie theater, or you might get thrown out.
That's what happened to young Anthony Pratti this week. To say his parents are upset about it would be an understatement.
Anthony, who uses a wheelchair, was with his parents, his sister and his grandmother at the Loews Cineplex theaters in the Galleria at Crystal Run Sunday, watching a 1:15 p.m. matinee of the G-rated film "March of the Penguins."
The family sat in the wheelchair section provided by the theater. Anthony was having a good time, said his mom, Gina Pratti.
"He was laughing, but he really wasn't much louder than any of the other kids," she said.
About 15 minutes into the film, one of the theater's managers approached the family, she said.
"He said our son was laughing too loud," Pratti said. "My husband told him Anthony didn't understand, that he was disabled, but that we'd try to quiet him down."
Not good enough, apparently – the manager brusquely told the family that Anthony had to leave, Pratti said.
Outraged, the family followed the manager to the lobby, where they were told they all didn't have to leave – just Anthony, Pratti said.
Pratti was dumbfounded.
"I said to him, what are we supposed to do, wheel him outside and leave him there?" she said.
The manager refunded the family's ticket purchase and sent them on their way, she said.

Pratti and her husband have spent the past three days making phone calls and sending e-mails, trying to get someone – anyone – from Loews to give them an explanation.
"Not one person from Loews has called me back," Pratti said.
When contacted by the Times Herald-Record yesterday, a representative of Loews corporate headquarters said the company is concerned by Pratti's story, and is looking into Sunday's events.
The company says it will issue a statement today.
Pratti has spoken with attorneys about the incident, but isn't sure she wants to pursue any legal action.
Meanwhile, Pratti says she hopes Loews will do whatever it takes to make amends.
"This was only the third movie Anthony had ever seen, and now we're afraid to go back because they might throw us out again," Pratti said.
Explanations aside, Pratti has a simple message for the manager she says publicly humiliated her son:
"Shame on you."

Check back later today for the latest on this story.

Back to recordonline.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright Orange County Publications, a division of Ottaway Newspapers Inc., all rights reserved.

[ 08-18-2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Jeremy Fuentes ]

|  IP: Logged

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet there's more to this story than a manager somehow deciding its good policy to throw a disabled person out.

It will come out that there's WAY more going on from the manager's side. If there's one thing I've noticed about customer complaints against staff, its that there's either a complete lie embedded in the story, or that the story is so extremely exaggerated as to not even remotely reflect how it really went down.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-18-2005 04:44 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Click on one of the markers to show additional information. Use the (+) and (-) buttons to zoom in and out. Hold the mouse button and drag the map to move throughout the map. Click here if the map does not display.
This part upsets me the most!!

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 08-18-2005 05:00 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, should have double checked it after I pasted the story....removed.

Kelly Skaggs
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Kelly Skaggs   Author's Homepage   Email Kelly Skaggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not wanting to be the ass hole here, but while running Titanic when it was out, in a sold out 350 seat theater, there was a family with an autistic girl who was makeing alot of noise and kicking the seats in front of her. I asked them to leave and offered a refund on their tickets and snack bar food. They of course got Very Pissed. I gave them the number of my City Manager, who in turn backed me up 100%. I did this after about 20 people complained. So who should you piss off 1 family or the other 345 paying customers?

I also have an autistic niece, so I have had past experience dealing with what the family goes through.

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm going to play the part of insensitive and rude. Please do not read on if you may be offended.

If the child cannot understand to be quiet and keep it down, how the hell can he possibly understand the movie? IT'S A DOCUMENTARY!!!!! Why should everyone else have their entertainment ruined because we have to entertain people that aren't being entertained anyway.

If the family had any decency they would respect others in the theatre as well. I recently had a model citizen of a mother come to a show with an autistic boy. She called ahead explaining the situation and that they were going to try it out. I allowed her to bring him in early to get used to the surroundings before we had a crowd. He did make it through the movie with no disruptions. I informed her that if they could not make it through, I would refund their money and she was extremely gracious. Hell I would come in early to run a private show in that situation, but at least they had the decency to call ahead.

Come to think of it I had a man that was very sight imperred that wanted to see "Passion of the Christ" and I ran a private show for he and his wife so she could read the movie to him without disrupting others. Let the paper write about that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a very commendable action on your part...don't count on the newspaper though...they are only interested in causing controversy.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-19-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see anything insensitive or rude in Andrew's post - it describes a sensible and pragmatic way of helping a disabled person to lead as normal a life as is possible under the circumstances, thanks to give-and-take both by the customer (by 'phoning ahead) and the theatre. If everyone was as sensible and as level headed as that, left their sensitivities at home (easier said than done, I know) and tried to work out the best way of enabling an autistic customer to come and see a film without the symptoms of his illness affecting other customers, most of the world's problems would go away just like that.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 08-19-2005 05:37 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mostly what Andrew said.

Knowing full well that their child will probably disrupt a public performance like that, the parents have a responsibility to discuss the issue with the venue in advance. For them to just haul the poor kid to a movie and be unconcerned about any of the other paying customers just seems very selfish on their part. There's almost always a way to work around a problem like that.

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a family with an autistic child that comes to our theatre a couple times a year. When the mother buys the tickets, she tells us she has an autistic child. If the kid acts up during the movie, the mother brings her out in the hall. That way everyone enjoys the show, including the rest of the family with the autistic child. It hasn't been a big deal.

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had to ask a mother to remove her child from Batman because the child was making a lot of noise. She went ballistic, threw a coke on me, and started screaming about my hating autistic kids (I dunno if this kid was autistic or not - he was basically a bored 3 year old). Disabled or not, parents need to have the common sense to remove disruptive children - or make alternative arrangements with the theatre (i.e. special slow or what not)...

That being said, however, Penguins is being pushed as a kids film and is drawing a kid audience. In kids films we do not ask parents to remove laughing kids for the simple fact that its a kids movie..

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-19-2005 10:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the parent was the one that was "disabled" to me.

[ 08-19-2005, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-19-2005 11:15 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: R. Andrew Diercks
Come to think of it I had a man that was very sight imperred that wanted to see "Passion of the Christ" and I ran a private show for he and his wife so she could read the movie to him without disrupting others. Let the paper write about that.
Why did she have to read the movie to him? There was a lot of dialog explaining what was going on, and the story is well known anyway.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-20-2005 12:29 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There was a lot of dialog explaining what was going on,
Sure, if you understand Latin and Aramaic.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2005 02:32 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All i could think of was Leonardo's great character in Gilbert Grape sitting in the back of the theater laughing his ass off. Though in real life, I admit it could be annoying.

Normally, I would favor theater management, but considering it was a 1:15pm matinee which is not that crowded, and it's not a dialogue oriented movie, I would have given them more slack and handled it with more patience.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: