Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Funky Weather Patterns?

Author Topic: Funky Weather Patterns?
Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that I would ask if anyone has noticed any weird weather patterns lately? Just getting off the phone with family on the west coast (Yakima WA to be exact), they had a sand storm today, something like what you see in the movies for a western flick, and the highways leading from one city to another was closed.

I've also been told that the current ocean temps from Maine or Massachusetts all the way down to Florida are on average 85 degrees, while the ocean temps from Seattle down to San Francisco are about normal, around 65 degrees.

Now down here in Florida, or I should say the Southeast, through the entire month of June, we went from letters A to H for tropical storms/hurricanes. Throughout July, not one tropical storm to be named, now here we are in August and we are getting back on track with storm cells popping up. Now I may have been wrong about no storms in July, but there was hardly any activity to watch, unlike June.

What other weird weather is happening?

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 03:24 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Europe, the weather patterns are also weird. The one day it has 80 F and the other already 60. Then a quick change from hot-hot-hot to severe rainfall & thunderstorm.
Also we had temperatures down to 35 F (at night)!

Meteorologists say this was the coldest August since 25 years.

Also this summer we had only one week with temperatures above 90 F.

Due to those temperature differences a lot of people suffer headache.

Weird weather patterns are also a sign for a climate change.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 12:34 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scientific data attests that climate can change both from cold to warm and warm back into cold. The advance and retreat of glaciers only in the past 10,000 years proves both theories correct. When I was in college I had a professor who honestly believed that within a century Massachusetts would exhibit a tropical environment much like Florida today. In my lectures, I discredit that as too extreme for such a short period of time.

quote: Dieter Depypere
Also this summer we had only one week with temperatures above 90 F.
That sounds similar to the northeast United States during the summers of 2003 and 2004. Not this year, though - Its hot! Interestingly, however, I've noticed the national media isn't saying much about "global warming" making a come back. Now it make perfect sense given they can't back up the claims based on Europe's temperatures.

[ 08-13-2005, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Aaron Mehocic ]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the past 2 weeks or so we've had sporadic thunderstorms here in Scottsdale/Phoenix, in August! That's certainly weird.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-13-2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually several physists and astronomers that I know back at Yerkes say there is absolutely no global warming going on and that what is happenning is simply just a normal cyclical thingthat has occured many many times before.

Mark

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 02:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. And I think a lot of Americans are starting to realize this too. Clearly, though, climatic data compiled since 1800 does suggest we are more on the warm side of the spectrum than cold. Some years ago, a German team theorized that salt levels in the North Atlantic Ocean may have something to do with cool downs. If their theory is correct, it is believed that sometime around the year 2300, glaciers may advance again. Guess that remains to be seen.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-13-2005 05:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
Some years ago, a German team theorized that salt levels in the North Atlantic Ocean may have something to do with cool downs.
Oh, and I thought it was the spiral jetty in the Great Salt Lake that was causing that......

-

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: