Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Southwood Theatre, Austin TX

Author Topic: Southwood Theatre, Austin TX
John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

I was looking at cinematour.com and saw this rather "interesting" theater in Austin, the Southwood Theatre. Who has heard of this theatre and knows about it?

http://www.cinematour.com/tour.php?db=us&id=4677

Here's a pic of the booth, how many have a Lazy-Boy and a television? [Wink]

http://www.cinematour.com/location/usa/tx/tourtx/swood09.jpg

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2005 10:35 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Southwood theatre was built in the 60's by Trans Texas Theatres as a single screen house. It was in the Southwood shopping center on Ben White Blvd. Both the theatre and shopping center stand at present day. The theatre was converted into a twin during the 70's, most likey around 78 when Presidio built the Lakehills 4 just up the road. About the same time Mann built a 3 screen at Westgate, and AMC built an 8 screen in Westgate Mall all within 1/2 mile of this location. The theatre is currently used as a Laser Tag facility called Blazer Tag.

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2005 11:46 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to cinema-treasures.com, it opened in 1964 with 800+ seats, and ten years later, in 1974 it was bought and twinned by AMC, and in 82 it was bought by the Presidio chain. Also it ran dollar shows throught the 80's. And I guess it was closed in about 1996-1997. I guess those pics of the booth and auditorium were taken about 72-73 as it hasn't been twinned yet. Regarding those pics, it sure was something to see a spotless clean booth, and a pair of Centurys (look like JJ's to me) mated to Strong Futura's!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-10-2005 06:01 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like a Drew Eberson (architect) theater, but I don't know for sure.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 09:05 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are Century heads but the soundheads look like RCA to me.
Not sure about the penthouses.
Bob

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-10-2005 10:26 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a Magnasync penthouse.

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 04:32 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Southwood had Century C's w/RCA sound heads. The sister theater, the Americana, had JJ's and was a little larger than the Southwood. The Americana opened in 1965 and the Southwood in 1967. The photos of the Southwood booth and the house were taken the night before they closed for the twin job. You can see the shipping tubes with the new screens laying under the screen.

The theater was twined before AMC purchased it. Just talked to the projectionist that worked there and even he couldn't remember when it was twined.

John

John H. Crawford
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 06:31 PM      Profile for John H. Crawford   Email John H. Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, what movie's end credits were shown in that one 1974 theater pic? It's a scope film for sure, that'd be my only hint.

John Stewart
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 11:30 PM      Profile for John Stewart   Email John Stewart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish my memory was that good, but I don't recall what it was. Sure was a nice theater in it's day. Was a dream to work.

John

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: