Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Baking Terminology - European vs. American

Author Topic: Baking Terminology - European vs. American
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-08-2005 07:53 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife's hobby is baking. You know she does it will because I weigh in at 260 lbs. [Wink]

She came across a recipe from Europe. It's actually a German recipe. Kinda' like a sweet pizza with plums on top. It's got a long German name that we can't pronnounce.

Anyway, we think the recipe was translated into English via Great Britain because some of the terminology is British. Weights and measures aren't too hard to translate. I've got a calculator that can do that in a second. Most of the other terms we can look up in Melanie's reference library of cook books. There are, however, a couple we can't quite pin down:

1) "Cake Tin".

2) "Rectangular Cake Tin".

3) "Square Cake Tin".

We're assuming that "Cake Tin" is equivalent to a 8 or 9 inch round metal baking vessel which is about 1 or 2 inches deep. We assume that "Rectangular Cake Tin" is a 9 inch by 13 inch metal vessel and a "Square Cake Tin" is a 9 inch square vessel.

Any bakers out there who can clue us in?

T.I.A. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2005 10:06 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know Randy....

I get a huge laugh out of todays celebrity chefs....boy oh boy how they can complicate and screw things up!

Keep in mind that many foods considered "delicays" today were in reality, peasant food....or they just threw in the kitchen sink!

I have many of my Grandmother's receipies from the old world. And I know how to make them.

I once watched a Big Kahuna celeb chef try and make traditional Jewish Chicken soup! The idiot did not have a clue! And I busted up laughin right in front of him.

I guarantee ya that you could never go into a bakery and find strudle like Grandma...or my Mom made/can make...ohhhh the calories!

I also have the reciepie for traditional Hungarian/Russian sour cream cookies (tea biscuits). My Dad loved to make those! He retired as a letter carrier in Cleveland, Ohio. Anyhow, he would take some to work for his breaktime snack...along with hot tea (sugar cube between the teeth)! When asked by his fellow letter carriers what kind of cookies they were, everyone said eeeewwwwww! But they tried a few, and my Dad had everyone hooked...always on demand...especially in winter. Not much taste, but for some reason, they are addictive!

We had a decent traditional German restraunt in Tucson. Food was good.....but $$$$$. Anyhow, some German friends of ours occasionally have us over for dinner. She can make enough of the same food served in that restraunt for a mere fraction of the cost, and have enough left-over for a month of Sundays!

And I could go on....

cheers

K.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-08-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Randy Stankey
She came across a recipe from Europe. It's actually a German recipe. Kinda' like a sweet pizza with plums on top. It's got a long German name that we can't pronnounce.
That sounds like Pflaumenkuchen. What's so hard about pronouncing that?

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-08-2005 11:30 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your assumption sounds right to me Randy. Flexible thin aluminum tins used as molds for the cake batter. Rectangular ones for cake or corn bread, round ones for cake and pies, round ones with holes in the middle for short cake...

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-08-2005 11:36 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Schaffer
That sounds like Pflaumenkuchen.
Easy for you to say! [Wink]

Actually, Melanie's brother is the one with the recipe. He lived in Germany a while back. The house mother where he lived would bake treats. He got a hankerin' for some plum cake like in Germany. Knowing that his sister is an excellent cook, he phoned this evening for some advice.

We got just about everything figured out but, when translating from one continent to another, it's prudent to get all the facts straight before starting out.

She's got a stack of bake ware that'll fit almost any need. It's a virtual certainty that she's got the right one or, at least, one that will fit the bill.

Melanie makes cookies and baked goods that people actually fight over! All the nuns at the Mother House (of the catholic school where I work) know her by name.

We went on a trip to Old Salem, North Carolina where she picked up this recipe for Moravian pound cake. She weaseled some baking secrets out of one of the Moravian ladies living there.

Let me tell you! It's so good you would dribble a basketball through a mine field for a piece of this pound cake! [Big Grin]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-09-2005 01:35 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pflow-men-koo-khen

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 06:05 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yorkshire Pudding- It's not pudding but probably the tastiest thing on this earth.

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 07:34 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike--

You got it, there! Yummy.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy
Try here for clarification

And Yorkshire pudding is best with roast beef, roast potatoes and gravy inside

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-10-2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Especially with British beef. Moo. A little BSE doesn't do that much damage. Bon appetit.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-10-2005 07:14 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've got a hit there, Dick! [Smile]
Melanie's probably going to "need" one of those!

I'd rather eat a hamburger than fly on a commercial airline ANY DAY! [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: