Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » UK high street electronics store chain to stop selling 35mm stills cameras (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: UK high street electronics store chain to stop selling 35mm stills cameras
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-08-2005 03:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: BBC Online
High Street retailer Dixons, which started by selling 35mm cameras, is to stop stocking the items because of the popularity of digital cameras.

The company has said it will not be stocking any more after the current stock of the film cameras runs out. Marketing director Bryan Magrath said the decision was a "sentimental event".

"35mm cameras were the first products we ever sold and film processing has been a part of our lives for several decades," he added. Mr Magrath said digital cameras were now the rule rather than the exception. "We have decided that the time is now right to take 35mm cameras out of the frame." [I wonder how long it took him to think up that pun?!]

In 1989, sales of 35mm cameras peaked at 2.9 million in the UK, but now Dixons says it is an "increasingly niche" market. Improved quality and lessening prices have seen digital cameras grow in popularity and this year sales will outstrip the 35mm by 15 to 1. However, the firm will continue to sell some 35mm cameras at its airport branches, to cater for professional photographers looking to buy duty-free products.

Dixons is probably the best known chain of photography/home entertainment/computer shops in the town centre, so I guess this move is significant. I've noticed that even its main rival, Jessops, only has a very small range of film cameras in its catalogue, and often none on display in the stores themselves. I hope this doesn't mean that the availability of film and processing is likely to become a lot more problematic.

But on another level, good - I hope they'll be selling their current stock off at a hefty discount! My Minolta SLR developed an electronic fault a couple of years ago and I still haven't got around to replacing it. The only working film camera I now have is a 1930s Leica I inherited from my grandfather. It still takes lovely pictures, but I only have a 50mm lens for it and you can't get any filters to fit it, which is a bit limiting.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2005 12:18 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you're going to see any more 35mm point-and-shoot cameras, but semi-pro and pro 35mm will exist in the market for some time (although I doubt you'll see new models.)

New York's largest photo store, B&H Photo Video, just released the latest edition of its 35mm SLR Photo SourceBook at a whopping 690 pages. While it's true that many lenses and accessories can also be used for digital photography, this catalog is dedicated only to 35mm photography (digital photography gets its own catalog).

Canon still has six 35mm SLRs. Nikon has eight. Konica/Minolta has three. While amateurs will probably soon give up 35mm photography, it will still be around for semi-pros and pros.

Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2005 04:35 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I cannot for the life of me, give up my 35mm camera. Nor do I ever want to. However, I'm the type of girl that will carry around a 35mm and digital, just in case. Sooooo, I'm hoping that one day some company will make a 35mm/digital camera all in one! Just push a button and it will switch to either film or digital. Actually, is there such a thing out on the market now? If so, what company makes it.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-08-2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably it would be possible to modify most 35mm SLRs so that the back cover could be interchangeable with a replacement one in which a CCD is mounted of roughly the same dimensions as a 35mm frame (so that the same lens could focus on both). The only problems I could see are that (i) most people now would want 35mm for 'proper' photography and digital for point-and-shoot snapshots: and an SLR body plus lens is a little bit unwieldy for pulling out of a pocket or handbag to snap some friends in the pub or the cat in the back yard; and (ii) if you're half way through a film roll and want to change to digital, you'd have to finish and rewind the film first. But I can't see any reason why a combination film/digital stills camera based on a conventional SLR body couldn't work, technically speaking. For a serious photographer, that would also have the advantage of not needing to invest in two sets of lenses.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-08-2005 07:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So long as the manufactuer makes their digital and film bodies accept the same lenses...one neednt invest in duplicate lenses.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-08-2005 09:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use both my Kodak DX6490 Digital Camera and my Minolta X-370S 35mm SLR film camera, depending on the situation. It's usually a matter of whether I need the images in digital form right away.

Kodak DX6490 Users Manual

My daughter's wedding photographer MUCH prefers film for wedding photography -- still the best flesh tones and ability to hold highlight detail in all that white lace:

Wedding Photos by Thom Bell

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-08-2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, there goes Kodak's B&W printing paper.

quote:
-- NOTICE -- Discontinuance of KODAK PROFESSIONAL Black & White Photographic Papers

Due to the ongoing transition to digital output technologies in both professional and educational markets, Kodak has announced manufacturing discontinuance of Black & White Photographic Papers. Sales will cease by the end of 2005.

KODAK Black & White Films and Black & White Processing Chemicals will continue to be produced.

The final availability of specific Black & White papers will vary based on type, size, configuration and surface. Please contact your normal supplier of KODAK PROFESSIONAL Products for the latest information.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2005 01:34 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison asked about combo 35mm SRL/digital cameras.
Nikon has had the F-4 since 1988. I remember when it was relatively new; the military was one of its first users. The photograper could take a photo, store it on the data back, take it to a computer and instantly wire the photo (s) to the Pentagon). The data back could also imprint pertinant data on the print or between frames. Data back was the MF-23 (for F-4 only).

Cheers

K

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2005 04:49 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo there already were products out like you are talking about. But not something the user can change. Kodak released a data back for Canon EOS (can't remeber the model) that turned the 35mm film camera into a digital. The data back had to be fitted by a tech and was very expensive, but there are still a few around. One of the other techs the other day at work was repairing a Fuji Finepix which was a 35mm casting with a CCD on the film plane and the outer case was taller to allow the electronics to live under the body, why reinvent the wheel I guess! The problem with all SLR Digitals is the focus, they all suffer from some sort of back focus problems after time. The smallest warp in the casting and the CCD is no longer paralel. In 35mm this is not so much of a problem becuase the lens is not really focusing on one fixed point as the emulsion on the film allows some play. Digital is great in some respects, but the printing technology is not yet matched to the camera quality. Digital is a point and shoot format for me and any photos of importance are on 35mm. Shoot a roll of Fuji slide film and the colour will blow digital away!!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-09-2005 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So lets see...Kodak is canning their B&W papers but continuing their films and chemicals. What sense does that make? While I'm partial to Ilford films and paper for B&W work...Ilford isn't exactly in great shape...having declared bankruptcy.

So I can shoot B&W and process it but never be able to show it to someone unless I print it to color papers?

Personally, I would have thought B&W would have been film's last stand. It has great archival properties and provides great detail.

So John...if one purchases the B&W films...how IS one supposed to turn them into a finished product?

If Kodak is not to make B&W papers...is Dektol Developer also to go away?

I just don't get it...as film heads towards a niche market...Kodak seems to be killing it at an accellerated rate rather than trying to support and promote the niche. [Confused]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-09-2005 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree withg Steve......
It does seem like Kodak is doing more to systematically kill chemical based photography then any other one company. Why is this?

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-09-2005 08:47 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
......because Kodak's, recent downsizing annoucement is probably eliminating employees who handle these products [Frown] Kodak has an interest in Lucky film of China which is still in the B & W paper business.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-09-2005 09:28 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's website has an on-line "Investors Center" that gives detailed "Organizational Overviews" of each of the company's many business units:

Kodak Investors Center

quote:
Corporate Profile
Kodak is the leader in helping people take, share, print and view images - for memories, for information, for entertainment.

With worldwide sales of $13.5 billion in 2004, the company is committed to a digitally oriented growth strategy focused on the following businesses: Health Imaging -- supplying the medical and dental industries with traditional and digital imaging-information products and services, as well healthcare IT solutions and services; Graphic Communications - offering on-demand color and black and white printing, wide-format inkjet printing, high-speed, high-volume continuous inkjet printing, as well as document scanning, archiving and multi-vendor IT services; Digital & Film Imaging Systems - providing consumers, professionals and cinematographers with digital and traditional products and services; and Display & Components - which designs and manufactures state-of-the-art organic light-emitting diode displays as well as other specialty materials, and delivers imaging sensors to original equipment manufacturers.

Kodak Entertainment Imaging (Motion Picture and Television markets) is still a strong film-based business, making significant investments for the future of film, hybrid, and digital imaging:

Overview of Entertainment Imaging Business

quote:
EI Strategy Summary
Vision
• Be acknowledged leader in services and film for creation,
management, distribution, display and preservation of
professional multi-media entertainment content
Path Forward
• Continue to generate revenue/earnings through film and services
– Film/hybrid/digital
• Leverage core film business to attain competitive advantage in
industry transition to more digital pipeline
– Build off existing industry relationships, image science, etc.
• Continue to selectively invest in D-Cinema technologies,
services, and partnerships to position for future growth

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-09-2005 10:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it not be possible to produce inkjet cartridges with a high silver content in the ink, in order to try and reproduce the look of photochemical b/w paper prints?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-09-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Would it not be possible to produce inkjet cartridges with a high silver content in the ink, in order to try and reproduce the look of photochemical b/w paper prints?
Anything is possible. It may not need to be silver.

Kodak has some pretty interesting print display materials in its portfolio of products:

Kodak ENDURA Metallic Paper

quote:
ENDURA Metallic Paper opens a whole new dimension for commercial and portrait output. Its glossy finish and metallic appearance creates images with exceptional visual interest and depth that will appeal to both photographers and display designers seeking a unique look. And it delivers rich, vibrant colors and flattering flesh tones.

Kodak ENDURA Night and Day Display Material

quote:
This true photographic material gives you these kinds of outstanding displays with stopping power...day and night, indoors or outdoors, with or without backlighting. Kodak's Day/Night Display Material can be viewed with both transmitted and reflected illumination. Offer your customers a compelling and unique photographic display that makes their message stand out above the competition.

Kodak Thermal Media

quote:
Thermal media from Kodak Professional, along with KODAK PROFESSIONAL Thermal Printers, delivers the same high-quality photographic prints that you have built your reputation on. Whether you are producing digital portraits in the studio, creating high-quality transparencies for presentations, selling digital photos at an event or making CMYK proofs for your next offset print client, Kodak has a thermal output solution to meet your needs. From 4 x 6” photo prints on the 4720 printer up to 9-1/2 x 14” professional prints on the 8670 PS printer, Kodak offers a media and printer to suit your digital application. If printing professional pictures is your business, Kodak provides layout choices in the printer drivers so you can print standard or custom package prints that are ready to sell.
Kodak PROFESSIONAL Inkjet Photo Paper

quote:
With KODAK PROFESSIONAL Inkjet Photo Paper, you have the freedom to print in your studio, and the quality to back it up. KODAK PROFESSIONAL Inkjet Photo Paper is universally compatible and will work with both pigmented and dye based inkjet printers.

Kodak ULTIMA Picture Paper

quote:
Ultima Picture Paper with KODAK COLORLAST Technology delivers significantly longer print life compared to other leading brands of inkjet photo paper.

Locks in color so the brilliant, vivid photo you see today will stay that way
Shields photos from the key factors that lead to fading – light, air pollution, moisture and heat
Photos last no matter how you display them - in a frame, photo album or on a table at home

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: