Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » NATO "In Focus" Article on Film Piracy

Author Topic: NATO "In Focus" Article on Film Piracy
John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-04-2005 12:13 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MPA "Copyright Cop" John Malcolm was interviewed for an article in the NATO publication "In Focus":

http://www.infocusmag.com/05July/malcolm.htm

quote:

An Interview With New MPA Copyright Cop John Malcolm

Movie theft is not a victimless crime, says John G. Malcolm, who 15 months ago joined the Motion Picture Association as senior vice president and director of its worldwide anti-piracy operations. “It is highly likely that every dollar paid to a pirate vendor is going into the hands of bad person who will use that money to perpetrate other illegal activities and to spread violence and misery.”...

In Focus interviewed Malcolm, a Harvard Law honors grad who once served the U.S. Justice Department's Criminal Division as a deputy assistant attorney general, on the perils and promise of purging piracy.

-
MPA "Copyright Cop" John Malcolm

|  IP: Logged

R. Andrew Diercks
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for R. Andrew Diercks   Email R. Andrew Diercks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Violence and Misery" !? AYFKM? I am no fan of pirating but seriously man. Perhaps only violent and evil movies are getting pirated thereby spreading violence and misery. Next thing we'll find out is that all evil terrorist organizations are being funded by movie pirating.

You think that's bad? You should see the havoc created by those lunatics that remove their mattress tags. It's like Armageddon or worse!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-04-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Criminal activities can have links. Certainly the production of heroin in Afghanistan has helped finance terrorism, and illegal gambling helps fund other crime. It's not a stretch to think the proceeds of film piracy (e.g. pirated DVD sales on the street) find their way to organized crime.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is exactly why people should learn how to get these things for free instead of paying for them. Seriously, anyone who knowingly buys pirate stuff is a complete moron! If you're gonna spend money, just get the real thing.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2005 01:06 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah but it's a stretch believing EVERY dollar will go to Osama bin Laden's group, come on. These pirates have to eat and sleep somewhere, so some of the money will go towards rent, food in restaurants, gas for their car, clothes for their kids, you name it [Wink] . Sounds like this guy has taken a page from Valenti's rhetoric.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-2005 02:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are just playing the whole funding crime thing to scare people, that's all. Hell, the money we spend buying groceries probably finds it's way to criminals who use it to buy cocaine. The only way to prevent this is to never, EVER spend money on ANYTHING. Everybody is eager to use the terrorism scare to promote their agenda. John Malcolm is quite obviously a loser.

It's scare tactics, nothing more.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-04-2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: In Focus quoting John Malcolm
“It is highly likely that every dollar paid to a pirate vendor is going into the hands of bad person who will use that money to perpetrate other illegal activities and to spread violence and misery.”
Is it not obvious the solution is tracking down bad person?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2005 10:29 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So last night, i kick back in front of the T.V., cold beer, popcorn in hand. I push play on the DVD remote, War of the World begins, and it is in Russian! WTF I think? So I give the control to my girlfriend so she can switch the language to English, because all of the menus are in Chinese. Only Russian and Chinese are on it. O.K. no problem, I put in Batman Begins. SAME DAMN THING! What is this world coming to? When a decent person cant buy a quality product anymore!

I ended up watching some lame movie about a fighter plane that has a mind of its own. Boring!!!

The bad person who made these copies are now going to experiance "violance and misery" when I get my hands on them!!!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: