Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Air France plane crash at Toronto (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Air France plane crash at Toronto
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 04:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As reported on the CBC news feed Link

Passenger jet on fire at Toronto airport
Last Updated Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:15:37 EDT
CBC News

An Air France jet with as many as 200 people aboard has skidded off a runway while landing at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, bursting into flames and sending thick black smoke pouring into the air.

There is no word on the condition of the passengers and crew members on board the A340, with the plane still burning an hour after the 3:50 p.m. crash.
The Air France jet burst into flames after skidding off a runway at Toronto's Pearson Airport Tuesday.

The airplane was trying to land in bad weather when it skidded off the east-west runway just metres from one of Toronto's busiest roads, Highway 401.

"There was quite a downpour. The visibility was really bad, with lots of lightning," said John Finlay, a CBC News journalist who was at the airport at the time of the accident.

The jet crashed through barriers and ended up in the Etobicoke Creek ravine, a small valley at the far west end of the airport, the aircraft's fuselage tipped down and its tail in the air.

"An Air France plane landing on Runway 24 Left went off the end of the runway in the area of Convair Drive and the 401 area in Mississauga," Peel police Sgt. Glyn Griffiths said at about 4:30 p.m.

He said the number and extent of injuries was still unknown.
Rescue crews trying to extinguish the flames.

The incident happened as most operations at the airport were grounded because of the severe thunderstorms that had been reported in the area.

Rescue crews are on the scene.

The Greater Toronto Airport Authority is holding a news conference at this hour to give details about the crash.

[ 08-02-2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 04:49 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story just broke on BBC radio, which reported contradictory accounts. One eyewitness told a Canadian TV station that the aircraft appeared to touch down normally but was then failed to decelerate and crashed into a ravine past the end of the runway. Various sources put the total number of passengers and crew at 204, 252 and 291: one is quoted is saying that all survived. I hope he's right.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 05:09 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The report said there was a thunderstorm with lightning and strong wind gusts in the area at the time of the crash. It also said that the storm had worsen on the final approach. Those thunderstorms create the possibility of wind shear.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-02-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the GTAA:

They've been under Red Alert (triggered by LDS, run by NAV Canada) on and off since 12:20.

Heavy rain and hail at the time (16:03).

They ended up 200m off the end of 24 left. A little faster and they could have made it into the drink.

297 and 12 crew on board. Only 14 injuries.

A/C completely evacuated prior to fire outbreak.

TSB on the way with their marshmallows.

Leave it to the French to slid off a 9000' runway and mess up a great safety record at YYZ (no incidents since two in the 70s).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 05:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the latest from cbc Link

No fatalities in Toronto airplane fire
Last Updated Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:13:44 EDT
CBC News

All 309 people aboard a jet that overshot a runway and burst into flames at Pearson International Airport Tuesday survived the ordeal, according to fire officials on the scene.

There were 14 minor injuries, however.
The Air France jet burst into flames after skidding off a runway at Toronto's Pearson Airport Tuesday.

One passenger aboard the Air France Airbus A340, Roel Bramar, told CBC News that he saw lightning just as the plane landed in a torrential downpour at about 3:50 p.m.

"I'm sure that the bad weather was responsible," said Bramar, who was not injured and managed to scramble off the plane by means of an emergency chute. He was the second person off the plane, he said.

* RELATED STORY: Everyone was 'running like crazy': passenger

Flight 358 from Paris had been scheduled to arrive at Toronto at 3:35 p.m. EDT. Something went badly wrong, and the plane overshot its intended runway by about 200 metres.

The plane skidded off Runway 24 Left, an east-west runway laid out parallel to one of Toronto's busiest roads, Highway 401. It ended up in the Etobicoke Creek ravine, a small valley at the far west end of the airport, the aircraft's fuselage tipped down and its tail in the air.

"We had a hell of a roller-coaster going down the ravine," Bramar said. "All I could think of was 'Get off!'"

Emergency crews were still on the scene by early evening.
Rescue crews trying to extinguish the flames.

While cleanup efforts continued and the Transportation Safety Board of Canada prepared to begin its investigation, all incoming flights were being rerouted to Ottawa's airport.

* YOUR SPACE: Send us your eyewitness accounts and photos

The incident happened as most operations at the airport were grounded because of severe thunderstorms in the area.

At mid-afternoon Tuesday, a spokesperson with the Greater Toronto Airports Authority said lightning was causing technical problems with the airport's lightning-detection system. All aircraft were grounded for safety reasons as a result, largely to protect crews working on the ground.

[ 08-02-2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 06:02 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In light of the last paragraph of Gordon's post, what imbecile gave permission for the plane to land under those conditions?

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That paragraph isn't actually accurate. Planes weren't grounded, ground services (such as marshalling) just weren't available since ground crews aren't allowed outside during lightning activity.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-02-2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like the pilot shouldn't have attempted the landing if it was that bad of a storm. I have to wonder if this was like that first air show Airbus crash where the plane was programmed to land but the pilot was frantically trying to re-program the nav so it didn't. Things happen real fast in a jet, to fast to be doing that sort of stuff on approach...

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 07:12 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in an Airbus 10 years ago during a storm in the Caribbean and the pilot attempted to land three times before aborting and flying another 40 minutes to the next available airport. From what they told me the on board computers upon wheel touchdown told them to "go around" so as not to overshoot the runway [uhoh]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-02-2005 08:15 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landing in a situation like that is always up to the Captain. However, the information he may or may not have will be the focus of any investigation.

We can make more planes; people come harder.

Louis

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-02-2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Landings are always at the pilot's discretion. ATC doesn't fly the aircraft, nor is weather their main concern. So it will be interesting to see what this captain and flight crew were up against (and what information and tools they had to work with) during this arrival.

Coincidently, exactly 20 years ago today, Delta Air Lines tried a similar arrival in an L-1011 at DFW with quite less than fortunate results (DAL191). Looks like we may still have something to learn about operations close to the ground when there are thunderstorms nearby.

This one will be a hot topic in my AV115 Aviation Meteorology class this fall.

Oh yeah, both The High and the Mighty and Island in the Sky came out today on R1 DVD. Need to run out and grab them. Would you believe I've never seen either one?

Marshmellows over a Jet-A and luggage fire? I think I'll pass. [Razz]

[ 08-02-2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-03-2005 02:13 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
In light of the last paragraph of Gordon's post, what imbecile gave permission for the plane to land under those conditions?
A Canadian aviation expert noted that Daryl points out, the 'red alert' at the airport meant that ground movements such as towing aircraft, unloading baggage and extending airbridges are not permitted in order to prevent the risk of ground staff being struck by lightning. Aircraft are allowed to land, but must then wait with the passengers and crew inside until the alert is lifted. He then continued to point out that most of the other arrivals at Toronto yesterday afternoon were diverted after either their captains, the ground controllers or both decided that landing would be too risky. If so, I guess the question needs to be asked as to why that flight attempted to land in conditions when so many others didn't.

quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I have to wonder if this was like that first air show Airbus crash where the plane was programmed to land but the pilot was frantically trying to re-program the nav so it didn't.
quote: Richard Fowler
I was in an Airbus 10 years ago during a storm in the Caribbean and the pilot attempted to land three times before aborting and flying another 40 minutes to the next available airport. From what they told me the on board computers upon wheel touchdown told them to "go around" so as not to overshoot the runway
In which case, why didn't the pilot 'go around' in this case, too? If the plane was failing to decelerate after touchdown, surely that would have been the obvious thing to do? A passenger who was interviewed on the radio this morning said that the touchdown was 'very hard... much more of a thud than usual'. Perhaps the heavy landing could have damaged the undercarriage and/or sensors which feed the on-board computers, thereby contributing to the accident? Thankfully, both the crew and (presumably) the black boxes survived intact, and so the investigation should be able to get to the bottom of it.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 08-03-2005 02:36 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously this is very early so we don't yet know what that crew knew or what they had to work with on that approach. I can tell you though that the final decision on landing or diverting always rests with the pilot in command. ATC controllers and airline dispatchers can recommend or suggest courses of action, but the PIC always makes the final call. That's why they make the big bucks, or Euros in this case, because they are expected to make the big decisions.

As for the hard touchdown, in this case that's what a prudent pilot would want. The runway was apparently quite wet, with very gusty winds at the time. The aircraft would be using a higher than normal approach speed to help with control effectiveness in such conditions. So the aircraft would be touching down at higher than normal speed as well. The technique in such cases is to put it down hard in order to minimize any chance of hydroplaning, forcing the tires through any water and into solid contact with the pavement. A hard landing is a good landing in this case. But in this case it appears the landing wasn't hard enough. [Big Grin]

[ 08-03-2005, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Paul Mayer ]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 08-03-2005 05:44 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hard enough to run it straight off the end of the runway in a 24-33 knot (103 degree) crosswind though. [Big Grin] Hard enough to stop about 50' short of the drink too.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=toronto&ll=43.657,-79.623

My favourite ATC quote to AC 691 (right after telling him to check his comments about his fancy radar):

"We've had an aircraft slide off the runway. Uh, you will not be landing on runway 24 left. Your approach clearance is cancelled." Sorry, too bad for you. [Smile]

52 second emergency response time, BTW.

-

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-03-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Looks like we may still have something to learn about operations close to the ground when there are thunderstorms nearby.

Nah, we know what is what pertaining to safe operations during thunderstorms and wind shears. It's just when some dumbass pilot/captain thinks HE knows better that f*cks the innocent...gotta save that fuel cost and land where/when scheduled no matter the cost to the "geese."

A great pilot friend of mine, with whom I've flown with many times in his Piper, always sez "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one." That has always stuck in my mind and I agree with him. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: