Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Slow Connection Due to Virus? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Slow Connection Due to Virus?
Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 07:27 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have dial-up which is very slow anyways but for the last month or so it has gotten considerably worse. When I first boot up and dial-up the computer runs so slow with just one window open that I have to close it and re-boot the computer. After that it runs normal.

I tried running spybot. I tried erasing cookies, history and temporary files. I even ran Norton although it expired last November so it hasn't had any updates since then. It never removed any of my problems when it was updated so I saw no reason to renew it. When I try to sign into ebay and type in my username and password it takes me back to the ebay homepage. I suspect the ebay server senses a virus or the virus won't let me sign in. Something is definitely wrong.

Another problem I noticed recently is Windows Media Player goes on the fritz too. When I close the window the music keeps playing. Sometimes it just freezes up. Could it be related? Did I maybe download a virus through a video on the internet? Any ideas anyone? I don't even know where to look on the internet for help. Thanks.

Josh

|  IP: Logged

Floyd Justin Newton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 09:30 AM      Profile for Floyd Justin Newton   Email Floyd Justin Newton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Josha--

What OS (Operating System) are you running? I'm no expert
guru on computers, however, I had a similar problem with mine
a short time back (Sony VAIO). I purchased the Sony System
Recovery CD ($25.00); took the computer into repair to have
the hard drive erased; re-laid the OS on and it work like a
brand new computer out-of-the-box. Total cost about $247.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Windows XP PRO on a Dell XPS computer. I don't really want to reformat the hard drive. Too much work. I have done that too many times before. Any other suggestions.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-26-2005 06:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One suggestion is making sure System Restore is turned off when running some spyware and anti-viral scans. You especially need to do this when removing identified infections, otherwise System Restore may bring them back to life. It may be even better to open Windows in Safe Mode and then run the anti-virus and anti-spyware scans in that mode.

Unfortunately, formatting the hard drive may be the only reliable thing to do with certain infections. A friend's PC got infected with the Cool Web Search hack and formatting was the only thing that killed that piece of spyware. May whoever creates that hack get a .50 cal round to the face. They deserve it 100%.

If I can't figure out what's ailing a PC, I won't hesistate to reformat the hard drive. It's usually not very difficult to restore the OS and drivers on any recently built Dell system. It may take a good bit longer to reinstall the rest of your software. Still, the time you spend doing that will be less over the long haul than the time and productivity lost in trying to use a compromised PC. Honestly, if you think you may have some kind of spyware or virus infection on your Dell XPS, it would be ill-advised to use it for any kind of online transactions.

One of the best investments computer users can make is getting a copy of Norton Ghost and using it in conjunction with a large capacity external hard disc drive. You can ghost your boot disc to that drive. If the system gets compromised Ghost can get it restored pretty fast. However, Ghost is only going to be useful to anyone as long as they keep their anti-viral programs up to date and take other steps to secure their computers. Without up to date anti-viral and anti-spyware apps in use you'll very likely include viruses as part of your backed up boot disc.

AVG offers a free, personal edition of their anti-viral software.

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 07:05 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Russians seem to be doing just that Bobby (at least for spammers):

link

Russia’s Biggest Spammer Brutally Murdered in Apartment

MosNews

Vardan Kushnir, notorious for sending spam to each and every citizen of Russia who appeared to have an e-mail, was found dead in his Moscow apartment on Sunday, Interfax reported Monday. He died after suffering repeated blows to the head.

Kushnir, 35, headed the English learning centers the Center for American English, the New York English Centre and the Centre for Spoken English, all known to have aggressive Internet advertising policies in which millions of e-mails were sent every day.

In the past angry Internet users have targeted the American English centre by publishing the Center’s telephone numbers anywhere on the Web to provoke telephone calls. The Center’s telephone was advertised as a contact number for cheap sex services, or bargain real estate sales.

Another attack involved hundreds of people making phone calls to the American English Center and sending it numerous e-mails back, but Vardan Kushnir remained sure of his right to spam, saying it was what e-mails were for.

Under Russian law, spamming is not considered illegal, although lawmakers are working on legal projects that could protect Russian Internet users like they do in Europe and the U.S.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-26-2005 07:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Heenan
Russia’s Biggest Spammer Brutally Murdered in Apartment
[thumbsup]

Brian Hogan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Brian Hogan   Email Brian Hogan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
speakin of system restore.. you could always restore to a past system checkpoint via system restore. system restore, although not nearly as effective as a reformat, is a quick and easy way to get most of your box back the way you had it before. plus, you can undo a restore if it doesnt work out.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-26-2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: http://mosnews.com/commentary/2005/07/26/spamassassin.shtml
Russia’s most (in)famous spammer, Vardan Kushnir, 35, was dead in his apartment in downtown Moscow on Monday, July 25. Someone repeatedly smashed his head with a heavy object, authorities say, and then ransacked his entire apartment. The authorities have obviously got no clue as to who that someone might have been.
Apache SpamAssassin [evil]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-26-2005 09:51 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it looks like your problem is software or malware related, still, don't rule out physical problems with your phone connection!

I have two specific stories about problems with dial-up that I spent hours trying to track down. Both of them turned out to be in the phone line.

Story #1: The modem disconnects whenever somebody flushes a toilet!

At first, I thought I was getting random disconnects. I called my ISP. I called the phone company. I went through every setting and parameter on the computer but couldn't find the problem. The phone company advised me to make notes of when the disconnects happened. That's when I started seeing a pattern.

I would get disconnected every time somebody flushed a toilet, used the shower, turned on the dishwasher or used a lot of water in the house. It took a couple of weeks before it dawned on me. We have a well with an electric pump! Whenever somebody used enough water to cause the pump to start running the modem would lose connection. I couldn't get a connection back until the water pump stopped running. (If somebody was using a WHOLE LOT of water it could be several minutes!)

I went to the basement to investigate. It turned out that the phone lines ran right next to the electrical line that fed the water pump. It was about 2 inches away and ran parallel for several feet.
This house was built in the 60's, before computers became standard equipment in the home. The wiring and phone line was installed with due care for the time period the house was built in but most people didn't think about computers back then. If you picked up the phone and could hear the other person, the phones were OK. Nowadays, as many of you know, with modems, this is not so.

I ripped out all the phone lines, replaced them with CAT-5 and made sure they were routed away from all electrical lines and the problem cleared right up!

Story #2: The modem runs slowly when the weather is wet and completely disconnects when the wind blows hard!

This happened in a different house. The one I live in now. I had previously ripped out all phone lines and replaced them with CAT-5. From my experience with the other house, I wasn't going to take chances! However, I didn't think to look at the piece of wire that comes from the junction box outside the house, through the wall and into the basement where I placed my terminal block.

What I eventually found was that the wire had come loose from its strain reliefs and the insulation was stressed at the point where the wire penetrated the wall. There were micro-fine cracks in the old rubber (vinyl?) insulation that grew from the stress put on the wire as it flapped around in the wind. If the weather was wet and water seeped into the insulation the phone connection was degraded. If the weather was windy, the connection would be completely lost for hours on end until the weather calmed down.

I replaced that 3-foot piece of cable and the problem disappeared. My modem is running as fast as it ever has!

What I'm saying here is not necessarily that you sould check your phone lines. If you haven't done a visual inspection in a while, it would pay to do so. What I'm really getting at is that, if you can't solve the problem with normal measures, it would be beneficial for you to engage in some lateral thinking.

(i.e.: Maybe the problem doesn't lie where you think it does.)

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 08:01 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are great stories Randy. I have never heard of anything like that before. [Smile]

But once I reboot it works fine. I am sure it is in the software.

Unfortunately computers have become like cars, they are too hard for the average guy to work on. I don't have time to learn all the ins and outs of a computer. I will have to have someone else look at it I guess. I have a 1999 Chevy truck and everytime there is a problem I have to take it to a mechanic (there isn't an honest one for 50 miles around here) and get the Big Kahuna. I haven't had a bill that was less than $600 yet! [Roll Eyes]

[ 07-29-2005, 07:41 AM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-27-2005 09:25 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working on cars or computers is really no more difficult than working on projectors... At least, to me, it is.

Work on them the same way. The problem IS solvable if you use logic. It's JUST a machine, for cryin' out loud! [Big Grin]

Get the manual and keep it in the bathroom. [Wink]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-27-2005 09:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
One of the best investments computer users can make is getting a copy of Norton Ghost and using it in conjunction with a large capacity external hard disc drive. You can ghost your boot disc to that drive. If the system gets compromised Ghost can get it restored pretty fast. However, Ghost is only going to be useful to anyone as long as they keep their anti-viral programs up to date and take other steps to secure their computers.
About every year or so I reformat my system volume and then reinstall Windows, drivers and applications. In fact, I do everything possible in the way of configuring the computer the way I like it without connecting it to the Internet. At that point I make a set of system image DVDs using Drive Image. Then I install Zone Alarm, Norton, connect to the Net and immediately download the updates for everything.

That way, the recovery process takes a little longer, because after restoring the image you need to reinstall Zone Alarm, Norton and then download a ton of updates. But because the computer was never connected to the net before the image was made, that image is 100% guaranteed to be free of viruses, spyware or any other nasties. If, after creating the image, I install new software or update the versions on there, I'll just make a note of what I've done on the DVD sleeve and add that to the recovery process.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 08:30 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that I can't figure out how to fix a car. I am on a Formula One car design team at school. See Here Mostly it's that between working on my Mechanical Engineering degree, having a job and spending time with the wife (almost none), I don't have the time. I also don't have diagnostic equipment for the computer in the truck as most of my problems have been computer/electrical system related. A diagnostic system is almost essential to work on car nowadays which the average guy cannot afford or even know how to use without proper training.

Not to mention I am 6'-4" tall, weigh 285 pounds and wear size 15 shoes (to give you an idea of the size of my hands). Trying to get under there and configure my body like a pretzel while trying not to bust my knuckles in a tight space and loosen the rusted bolts is a real pain in the arse. So I pick the lesser of two evils and take it to the mechanic.

As far as computers go, I used to be able to hold my own when DOS ruled. I haven't kept up and now most of it is foreign to me. I did take a Visual Basic course a few years ago, but it has even changed a lot now. I can use software no problem and I am even considered the resident computer expert at work to all the older generational people, but fixing problems like this that require changing files is beyond my skill level.

I downloaded a newer version of CWSHREDDER and ran all my programs again. Spybot found some adware but nothing I haven't had before this problem started. Still stumped.

[ 07-29-2005, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Joshua Waaland ]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2005 09:05 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby has put forward some good points.

AVG anti virus is worth a go , free and it works , I have it on my laptop , and it detected a virus that norton did not on my home PC.

Another point that is worthwhile is a partition , Partition Magic is a simple program to use , split C drive into 2 areas save all files to the second partition so if you need to reformat you only need to restore OS and drivers/software all other files remain untouched on the partition.
Or run 2 hard drives.

Mark Lippert
Film Handler

From: Milwaukee, WI, the birthplace of people from Milwaukee, WI.

- posted 07-28-2005 01:14 PM      Profile for Mark Lippert   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Lippert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second Phil AVG Anti-Virus suggestion. I've used it for years and have been blissfully virus-free. It's free, updated almost daily and much less intrusive than Norton. Every computer I've worked on that had Norton installed was sssslllllooooooooowwwwwww. Ditch it.

Also, Ad-Aware (another freebie) is another good spyware checker. I've heard many people recommend running it in conjunction with Spybot, as each one seems to find things the other doesn't. It's usually best to run those in safe mode.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: