Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » ISO source for multiconductor 10 - 12 AWG cable

Author Topic: ISO source for multiconductor 10 - 12 AWG cable
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 07:04 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any recommendations for a multiconductor cable with six 10 or 12 AWG conductors?

I've got a pipe that had twelve single DCC 12 AWG cables running through it, 6 each passing through 9/16" openings after going around hard corners, etc. 10 AWG plastic insulated cable is smaller in dia. than the 12 AWG DCC cables, but the route is so tough that only a few could be pulled before it got packed up. A couple of 6 conductor cables might go through on a couple of fishes, if I can find something no larger than 9/16" O.D.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-26-2005 08:40 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used thhn cable that is quite slick. Without reducing the wire size, the only hope is to reduce the insulation thickness. A "cable" will only make it larger still. BTW #10 is Larger than #12.

Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-26-2005 09:26 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Multiconductor tray cable that you are looking for would not work due to the outer insulation taking up about 30% of the cable size...the 9/16" hole is roughly equal to the net area in a 3/4" EMT conduit so you are already asking to exceed electrical code recommendations. There are cable companies that can "lash" individual insulated THHN or high temperature ( and thinner wall ) wires together so as not to have an outer jacket. The lashing also allows for easy pull with proper cable lubricant.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2005 01:14 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

I was probably unclear when I mentioned that even though the 10 AWG THNN has a smaller OD than the cotton-covered 12 AWG I pulled out, I could still only pull a couple of runs of skinny 10 AWG THNN in the same pipe where the 12 runs of fatter cotton-covered 12 AWG had been.

And the old stuff was cotton-covered rubber, not DCC, brain fade.

quote: Richard Fowler
There are cable companies that can "lash" individual insulated THHN or high temperature ( and thinner wall ) wires together so as not to have an outer jacket.
Richard, can you suggest a company to contact? My concern would be the ribbon or cord I've seen used to lash cables might hang up on an inside corner. That's why I was thinking of perhaps something with a sheath.

quote: Richard Fowler
The lashing also allows for easy pull with proper cable lubricant.
I promise you, that pipe after last weekend would be worth millions as a Yellow 77 mine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-27-2005 08:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off..."tray" cable is often the fattest of the stuff...I do't know who mentioned that first...it will even have filler cords in it to make it nice a round so it will lay properly in a tray.

As to cable lashing...mostly what I see now is a clear mylar wrap around the bundle that is quite slick and with wire-lube will pull rather easily. Try International Wire and Cable.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2005 12:15 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: