Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » How do you force an IP on a Windows machine?

Author Topic: How do you force an IP on a Windows machine?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-25-2005 11:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Windows, mostly because it sucks. I'd say that's the main reason. Nobody can say the OS is good.

Anyway, I am behind a Linksys router which has DHCP and can auto-assign IPs to any connected equipment. I'd like to leave this function turned on. But I always want my PC to snag the IP of 192.168.1.112, being that it will always be available and not snatched up first by another machine. I tried going in and changing the TCP/IP properties in Windows 2000 (sux ballz) and telling it to always use that IP address. I put in the same default gateway (for my ISP) that was in the router as well as the same subnet mask. Windows could no longer access the internet after the lengthy reboot (much longer than a typical reboot). I changed it back to auto and it was fine.

What can I do?

PS - I hate Windows. They need to make a good version someday maybe.

|  IP: Logged

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 11:10 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When your computer is behind a router and you are configuring TCP/IP manually you have to specify the default gateway as the address of your router. It will likely be 192.168.1.1 if you left it with the standard configuration. You can set the DNS to the address specified by your ISP.

Hope this helps
Greg

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2005 12:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that helps! But I still hate Windows, even though the problem was mine. Arg! (No that is not the sound a pirate makes).

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-26-2005 12:31 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the computer doing that it needs to have the 192.168.1.112 IP address every time? I think there's some limitations on computers being able to do web server or FTP functions behind a router, having to do with how the ISP treats IPs it assigns to customers.

These routers are confusing the shit out of me lately. I have two Linksys routers that work perfectly (an old wired BEFSR41 model and a new Wi-Fi WRT54GS). One of my friends has the WRT54G model and recently lost her ability to get online with the thing. She's having to hardware her notebook to her DSL modem to get any Internet access. I don't know what the hell could be going on with it. I checked every damned setting in the router and all the entries appear correct. I even took my old BEFSR41 over there and it connected okay. Maybe her router is broken? I even tried upgrading the firmware and no dice.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah it's a server and the routing works fine. But it will also be an Xbox server for Xbox Media Center and one must edit an XML file on the Xbox itself before the Xbox knows which computer to look for (the Xbox is retarded). I only ever want to touch the XML file once. XML sucks and should be BANNED in at least the lower 48.

I have the same wired router you do and it works well. I know wireless is gawdawful slow. I can't imagine being on such a slow wireless network. Japan has 40mbps internet connections as pretty much standard, and here we are sucking ass thinking that wireless internet is the hip new thing!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-26-2005 01:22 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I you hate Windows, ever thought of going over to Linux for your OS?

'sides, Microsoft is pumping out a new OS that'll replace XP by next year ......

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-26-2005 03:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby, check the IP of the router vs. the IP of the DSL modem. I am using a D-Link router and SpeedStream modem and both had the same default IP, so I had to change the router from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 so they would be happy together.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-26-2005 03:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And that's why I like MAC ADDRESS based ISPs/modems better than IP based. My ISP simply looks for a certain Mac address, which I can clone in the router. It then assigns that MAC with my certain IP (12.170.40.56).

I am special.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-26-2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DSL doesn't care about IP or hardware address. The few models of SpeedStream DSL CPE that "have IP addresses" are the ones that have built in NATing capability (but will also work in bridge mode).

SpeedStream hardware generally kicks much ass.

quote:
I have the same wired router you do and it works well. I know wireless is gawdawful slow. I can't imagine being on such a slow wireless network. Japan has 40mbps internet connections as pretty much standard, and here we are sucking ass thinking that wireless internet is the hip new thing!
54 and 108 Mbps isn't too shabby.

quote: Bobby Henderson
These routers are confusing the shit out of me lately. I have two Linksys routers that work perfectly (an old wired BEFSR41 model and a new Wi-Fi WRT54GS). One of my friends has the WRT54G model and recently lost her ability to get online with the thing.
The WRT54GS kicks ass. Its got a 200 MHz processor, 8MB flash and 32MB of RAM... lots of room to create your own Cisco PIX / HTTP / DNS server. [evil]

The WRT54G isn't too bad either, it's got a 125-200MHz processor and half the memory.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: