Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Discovery Ready for Launch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Discovery Ready for Launch
Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 09:16 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Discovery Ready for Launch
The Space Shuttle Discovery and its seven-member crew are ready for launch at 10:39 a.m. EDT on Tuesday, July 26.

STS-114 -- the first Shuttle mission in more than two years -- is set to test new safety procedures and deliver supplies and equipment to the International Space Station
Well I wish Discovery, a safe journey after 2 years been, grounded after Columbia ill fated mission…

God speed Discovery…

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/index.html

There is still more testing to be done," space shuttle Discovery Commander Eileen Collins said while standing on the deck of the space center's neutral buoyancy lab — an indoor pool that contains mock-ups of the shuttle and International Space Station where astronauts practice spacewalks.

Hears a little something about launching, the Space Shuttle.

While we prepare for STS-114 Discovery return to flight status.

http://kids.msfc.nasa.gov/rockets/shuttle/launch.asp

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-25-2005 09:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could agree with that statement. They still don't know what the exact problem is with the low fuel sensor and they are ready to issue a launch waiver without knowing what is really wrong. It seems to me that NASA still has the WRONG mentality for playing with this sort of equipment. Clearly, they are NOT ready to launch it.

A shuttle engineer with 14 years experience has this to say about it......

That disappoints former NASA shuttle engineer Randy Avera, a 14-year veteran of the orbiter program who participated in the investigation into the explosion that destroyed the shuttle Challenger in 1986.

"It disturbs me that in the first countdown attempt, a problem on the vehicle -- where it is known but not identified what the problem is -- that so quickly discussions about waiving the launch commit criteria surface," Avera said.

If a waiver is issued, and NASA launches Tuesday with the same indication of a problem it had last week, Avera wants NASA to release the documentation that details why it issued the waiver.

"What I'm looking for is NASA to come forward with the actual basis for that waiver," Avera said. "And that basis should be linked directly to design requirements and operational requirements."

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 09:52 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there

Mark

It is also said the Space Shuttle is the most complex machine ever built by man, clearly she is a compacted bird, she must be 100% flight ready not 99.999, but the crew know this, they know that the unforeseen can not always be seen, and the challenges this brave crew must face if one does arise, and to deal with the problem as fast and as professional, without losing your head…

Mark I’ll give my left arm to ride the Space Shuttle, and to look down upon the earth and see England passing by every 90mins at 18,000ft per sec…

So are your keeping your fingers (X), I am “God Speed STS-114 Discovery Safe Journey”.

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogallery/index.html

Also hear is a way to track the Space Shuttle when she's off the launch Pad 39B and in orbit.
http://science.nasa.gov/temp/ShuttleLoc.html

On October 14, 1947, in the rocket powered Bell X-1, Capt. Charles E. Yeager flew faster than sound for the first time.

To see where the (ISS) International Space Station is currently in orbit around the earth, and if she is going to pass over where you live, then step outside and you will see a very bright object moving at 18,000ft per sec, that’s fast, and only takes 90mins for her to complete an orbit so get looking.
http://science.nasa.gov/temp/StationLoc.html

[ 07-26-2005, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Andy Summers ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-25-2005 10:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We as a country are way too incompetant to launch a nearly 30 year old shuttle. Why we can't use the old parts that worked countless times before is beyond me. Morons. They really need to ditch the shuttle and catch up to at least 1990 technology. We also need a ship that actually goes into space. I don't consider where the space shuttle goes actual "space", just orbit. Yawn. Fly that sucker around!

This is all very embarrasing.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2005 10:20 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and they can start by updating their computer systems to Macintoshes. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-25-2005 10:23 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Knowing NASA, they'd get 50 System 6.0 Macs (1 for the actual work, 49 for back ups) and pay $2 million EACH for them. NASA is smart. [Roll Eyes]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on guys, give them a break will you….

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-25-2005 10:31 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prolly gonna be get bitch-slapped for saying this...

Joe, you should wish AIDS on everyone at NASA! That's like your funniest line! Ha ha ha.

[thumbsdown]

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 10:44 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m very excited about this, it’s like April 14 1982, man I would have liked to see Columbia launch back then when I went to Florida back in early February 1982 ,and the visit to the Kennedy Space centre, was out of this world…

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/missions/sts-1/images/79HC206.GIF

April 12, 1981 - The first space shuttle flight occurred with the launching of Columbia with astronauts John Young and Robert Crippen aboard. Columbia spent 54 hours in space, making 36 orbits, then landed at Edwards Air Force Base in California

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 10:48 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
Why we can't use the old parts that worked countless times before is beyond me.
If they used the original tank fabrication methods, the Columbia disaster never would have happened. The foam falling off tank problem started on earlier launches after they switched to a no CFC manufacturing process for the foam. They did this to be PC and environmentally friendly even though they could have gotten a waiver to use CFCs due to the extremely minute amount that would be emitted in the manufacturing of a shuttle tank.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 10:59 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Dame you guys are so ultimately negative wow….

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 11:25 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be tuning in to the NASA channel for the launch. But the Space Shuttle is a big disappointment overall. The program held the promise of giving us a reusable space plane that would be easier to use, more versatile and cost less than disposable rockets. We missed that mark by a long shot. And it's sad that, since the late 1970s, NASA has had nothing else that could put a man into space. Now we're relying on very old technology and we've already lost two of them (and their entire crews). Face it. The promise of the Space Shuttle has not been met.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2005 11:52 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
That maybe very true, and I’m amazed she still in service and soon all the remaining Shuttle fleet will be all decommissioned and there newer X project!

But let us not forget the crew of Columbia STS-107 and not let that dream die in vain, again the dream is alive, lets keep it that way for now shall we…

http://www.astrosurf.org/lombry/Documents/sts107-crew-columbia.jpg

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-26-2005 01:42 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg,
I don't recall there being any promises made..... just claims of what it could do. I think the claims have been pretty much lived up to in many respects but not all. Its still an amazing piece of machnery no matter how you look at it. The main engines alone are a technological triumph that like the Saturn V have never let us down and actually have gotten ALOT more reliable and efficient over the years. Sorry guys but the computers are not all that old of a design.... they are not using the original computers that had magnetic core memory any more. Can't remember the year they were upgraded but its not all that long ago as was the entire flight deck.... readouts, everything.

quote: Greg Anderson
NASA has had nothing else that could put a man into space.
Of course, you also didn't hear about the shuttle until a few years before the testing phase began. I wouldn't expect them to unveil anything in the works until its design is near completed.

Andy,
Sorry chap, but the shuttle flies around England in its orbit so you wouldn't see a thing........ [Wink] .

Joe,
You don't consider over 200 miles up very far from the ground?

Mark

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2005 01:49 AM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there

Mark

Are that’s low numbers, oh well I’ve got the (J-tracking) so I’ll be keeping an eye on her, even if she wont pass overhead.

I’ve seen the (ISS) at least three times in the past during the winter time, when the sky’s get darker fast and makes for great astronomical viewing…

Catch you later going to catch a few zzz zzz before the launch

[ 07-26-2005, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Andy Summers ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: