Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » 70mm Alive And Well In San Francisco (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 70mm Alive And Well In San Francisco
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2005 09:47 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the Castro in San Francisco has scheduled a 70mm fest for August. Diverse lineup includes the usual suspects ("Lawrence," "2001"...), new "Hello, Dolly!" print, original version of "Apocalypse Now," plus blowups of some well-liked movies.

http://www.in70mm.com/now_showing/index.htm

http://www.castrotheatre.com

quote:

Aug. 1 ... Vertigo
Aug. 2 ... 2001: A Space Odyssey
Aug. 3 ... Lawrence Of Arabia
Aug. 4 ... The Bridge On The River Kwai
Aug. 5 ... Apocalypse Now
Aug. 6 ... The Road Warrior
Aug. 7 ... Ghostbusters
Aug. 8 ... Dragonslayer
Aug. 9 ... Tommy
Aug. 10 ... Edward Scissorhands
Aug. 11 ... Hello, Dolly!

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-19-2005 06:19 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless it is on a really VAST screen, 70 is just another Yeah, So What. Even then, after the first impression wears off, it's just a movie. Just my opinion guys. I ain't impressed.

If a film is originated on 35, other that the potential for brightness, what is the benefit of a 35 to 70 blowup? The resolution can never be any better than the original 35mm neg.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-19-2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm may be alive in San Francisco, but it certainly isn't "well". If it were well, it'd be more than special venue and many theaters would be playing prints, and new movies would be uprezed from the pathetic HDTV resolution (which Kodak and Dolby feel is plenty good enough for the general public due to their low standards) that they are currently shot/scanned in to 5-perf 70mm prints.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-19-2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I find incredibly stupid is all of the IMAX DMR stuff. These are not 4:3 shows but some form of wide screen...as such the picture though still bigger than a 5/70 frame is not that much bigger. If WB wants to really recover their costs...go back to 5/70 and increase the number of venues that can possibly show it and not have to cut IMAX in on the deal. From what I can tell...these new IMAX (MPX?) theatres are not the super big screens normally assoicated with traditional IMAX 15/70 process.

If you are going to show films on that size screen...then 5/70 is the logical choice. What does IMAX have to offer? I guess their DMR process...but I counter with shooting in 65mm...then all prints are improved...even those weird digital ones.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2005 08:21 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a huge difference with 70mm the ability to present films in six-track mag Dolby stereo with split-surrounds, and Lucasfilm THX sound system, yeah 70mm is still very much alive 35mm regular in the days before the dawn of the digital domain, was just a routine film showing leaving 70mm for the eventful road show presentations totally indispensable…

Also I believe a few of those films where shot in 65mm originally like “Lawrence of Arabia” “2001: A Space Odyssey” and the visual effects in “Ghostbusters” where 65mm by “Richard Edlund” Boss group.

http://www.fromscripttodvd.com/richard_edlund.htm

I love the smell of 70mm six-track Dolby A type, in the morning…

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-19-2005 09:15 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve, the IMAX DMR stuff is pretty silly. You're going through a very expensive method to deliver something honestly no better than a 5/70 blow-up of a 35mm originated film. On top of that, some the digital methods used to "up-rez" the 35mm film actually introduce other problems into the image.

The IMAX DMR version of "The Matrix: Reloaded" often had this subtle but noticeable flattened newsprint quality imagery happening. It seemed as if the image had been put through something similar to Photoshop's high pass filter to sharpen up things. But it resulted in this dirty look that reminds me of photocopies of photos.

Here's another thing I find extremely stupid:
Giant screen stadium seated theaters with only 35mm projection equipment. Now and then some exhibitor has to open a theater with what they claim is the biggest screen in town or the entire state. The Dallas area has a few of these (two at the Galaxy 9, a couple at the Cinemark 17 - Webb Chapel/LBJ and a couple at the Cinemark in Grapevine). These houses boast screens over 70 feet across. I have never seen 35mm projection equipment properly light any screen that big ever. Only 70mm can do it.

Given the Dallas area has at least seven or more screens like this, it would be a conservative estimate that there are at least more than 100 or 200 of these types of giant screened stadium seated theaters in the United States alone. And they all need 70mm entirely all the time to show a properly bright image. But nooooooooooooo. 35mm on giant screens is good enough. Oh, but wait, let's go one better --VIDEO of roughly HDTV quality on giant screens. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
[Mad]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2005 10:30 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how much filming in 70MM would add to a movie not directed by a multitake maniac like Kubrick? And filmmakers could always mix in 35 and 70MM based on the scene and the maximum value of a shot if they can get away with it.

Also how much would printing 100 70MM blowups add to the overall distribution cost ?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-20-2005 06:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Harris has given figures for the shooting aspect of 65mm. I seem to recall that the increase to a typical feature would be on the order of just under 1-million...a rather reasonable amount given the many-millions put into the making of one film.

For distribution...70mm normally represents a 7-10 fold increase in cost. However, those 70mm prints have normally heavily out sold their 35mm counterparts. I would think that the cost of printing in 70mm would vary with the number of prints ordered. The cost of the print stock alone will set you back 2.5 times since 70mm is 25% longer and twice as wide. I believe Mr. Pytlak has stated that 70mm print stock is roughly twice as expensive to purchase.

However...and IMAX release is 3 times more than a standard 5/70. The difference mainly being, the amount of black letter boxing on the IMAX film...one is spending an awful alot of money to project black bars (and print them). Choose 5/70, "its the environmental thing to do!" (now I think I may go puke)

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2005 07:10 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Hamlet' managed to shoot on 65mm, and that wasn't a particularly high-budget production; I wouldn't imagine that 'Baraka' was either, but I don't have the figures for it. Of course, there are many productions where this difference would be totally unaffordable, but I would have thought that there would be several each year where it could be justified.

The vast majority of cinemas do not have screens so large that they cannot be reasonably lit with 35mm, though there are some that do.

I think there would be a greater benefit in shooting on 65mm, or Vista or other large format than there would be from making 70mm blow-ups from 35mm productions. Large format origination benefits all cinemas which show the film, not just the few that are equipped to run 70mm (and manage to get hold of a 70mm print). Once you've made the interneg a 35mm print of a 65mm production costs no more than one from a 35mm production, yet gives better quality, with no extra expenditure in distribution or exhibition. I've seen some very good-looking 35mm reduction prints, and these days 70mm no longer has the sound advantage that it used to, given that any new release would be likely to be DTS, which is the same with both gauges. 'West Side Story' had a limited re-release here a few years ago, and the prints of that were as good as any I've seen.

Of course, you would still have the option to make a few 70mm prints if you wanted to for those few venues that do have very large screens.

Where you need a small, lightweight camera the Arri 765 is not much bigger or heavier than a 35mm one. You would still have the reduced depth of field, but with todays faster stocks you could probably shoot at a smaller stop to partially compensate.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-20-2005 07:47 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other thing that must be stated regarding 5/70mm or VistaVision 8/35mm for feature film production: it is better for home video release too. Larger film formats deliver superior color quality and image sharpness for transfers to HD and NSTC formats.

The higher resolution of a 5/70 or 8/35 image makes the movie more forward compatible with future video formats than 4/35 or current HD video standards. Given the fact movies can cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and market, it would only seem to make sense to protect that very expensive investment by producing the movie in a better quality format.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2005 08:00 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vistavision also has extra image area above and below the 2.21:1 area, which gives extra head- and foot-room, allowing for more options to improve the composition of a 1.33 full-frame TV version of the film. Super 35 also has this advantage, but VV will give better quality, due to the larger frame area.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 09:16 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
If a film is originated on 35, other that the potential for brightness, what is the benefit of a 35 to 70 blowup? The resolution can never be any better than the original 35mm neg.
So what. The audience never sees what's on the negative.

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2005 09:52 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While archaic at this point in time, if one wished to print to both 35 and 70, an interesting alternative, which gave superior results from a stability standpoint, was Technirama.

RAH

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2005 01:15 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just added 8 more 70mm screenings at the Paramount in Austin.

see www.in70mm.com for details

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2005 01:24 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
speaking of the castro, i heard the other day that their upcoming calendar will include some 3-d. i didn't note exactly when. within the last few years they had gotten rid of their silver screen, so i guess this means they got, or will get, another one. (at least one would hope so.)

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: