Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Passing of Tony Lautenbach

Author Topic: Passing of Tony Lautenbach
Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-19-2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned Monday of the passing of Tony Lautenbach, general manager of Ash-Stevenson, formerly of Stanley Ash Theatrical Decorators. Service will be held on Thursday and details can be provided by Alex Stephenson at 416-321-1412.

Tony started his theatre career with Strand Lighting in the 1960's. He became shop manager with Stanley Ash Theatrical Decorators about 1972, and stayed with the firm for 33 years, through its merger and change to Ash-Stephenson Inc, until his recent strokes.

A self-taught rigger, electronics and computer technician, and lighting designer, Tony developed most of the products for the firm, such as the TEC8112 cinema dimmers and the DimPac theatrical dimmers, managed the quotes department, and did much of the purchasing and system documentation. Those of us who knew him well were impressed with his knowledge. I worked with Tony as a supplier of drapes, pipe grids and dimmers for 31 years so I think I knew his as well as almost any of his industry contacts.

He was no doubt a genious in many things, from ham radio, electronics design and repair, to computer programs, and CAD drafting, taking on projects well beyond many of us. He was a consumate entrepreneur, even when he was working as an employee.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-19-2005 01:47 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear of this passing, for these TEC-8112's are great dimmers.

Yet, I have to ask for a little help on the particular dimmer: I have a 8112 that "strobes" during light down and light up and remains steady at full light. Do I have a triac acting up?

thx-monte

Rick Long Jr
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2005 02:23 PM      Profile for Rick Long Jr   Email Rick Long Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear of Tony's passing. My condolences to his family and friends.

Monte, have you tried swapping the control card to see if the problem travels? My experience with triacs is either they work, or they're shorted! (Usually due to some dumb-ass changing bulbs with the thing on.)

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-19-2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also sorry to hear of Tony's passing. He was indeed one of the truly professional people I had the pleasure of dealing with. He will be missed.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-19-2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte try reversing the two power leads on the triac as if they are backwards and with some card vintages you will have odd effects or it will plain not work
If not that and it is the later ones with the optocoupler replace the opto

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: