Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » anyone know of a phone that will ONLY dial 911? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: anyone know of a phone that will ONLY dial 911?
Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 12:49 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without going into details, I need to buy a phone (2 actualy) that will only dial 911..Anyone know where I can find one (Or 2 actually)?

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-13-2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need more information. Do you want the _phone_ to place the call, or do you just want to be able to install something like a no-dial phone and have it connect to 911 when the receiver is lifted? If the latter, you can order from the phone company (or configure on a PBX) a "ring down circuit" to the 911 number. This is more reliable and less subject to tampering than an autodialer phone.

Alternatively, you can get a hotline dialer to attach to the phone which will automatically dial a pre-programmed number when the receiver is lifted.

Note that, in the US, even disconnected phone lines have the ability to dial 911; thus, another option would be to have a phone line installed, then disconnect service and leave a phone attached to it. I believe that the same applies to cellular telephones without service contracts. I don't know if this applies in areas without 911 service, however.

[ 07-13-2005, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 01:33 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. fine, I'll go into details... At our family owned Assisted Living Facility the State Of R.I. Department of Health is requiring all Assisted Living Facilities in the state to have a phone on all floors that can dial 911. We have three floors at our facility, there is a phone on the first floor, but not the second or third floor. I feel that if I provide a phone on the 2nd and 3rd floor, the phone bill will go through the roof with calls being made from it by the residents or staff. I called Verizon and they said that they can provide a phone line that could provide local area phone service, but they cannot provide a line that could only be used for 911.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-13-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely, Verizon was either clueless or lying and they can provide a ring down circuit for 911 calls only. Failing that, and assuming that you don't have a PBX and want this to work directly on a POTS line, order two red no-dial phones (you might be able to find another vendor with better pricing; I just posted a link to the first place that Google found) and a hotline dialer. Don't get long-distance service on the line and don't allow incoming calls (or, at least, disconnect the ringers in the phones); this will prevent someone from taking an incoming call, waiting for the caller to hang up (which would return a dial tone), and then placing an outgoing call using a separate tone dialer or by using the switchhook.

If you only want the line to be able to dial 911, you should be able to disconnect the service after it is installed and have 911 still work, though you will want to verify this ahead of time with the state or city department of public utilities. Don't mention this to Verizon, as they probably won't appreciate the idea.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-13-2005 02:35 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just my opinion, but disconnecting the service in hopes that 911 will still continue to work indefinitely sounds like a lawsuit in the making if something goes wrong. For liability purposes, you need a "certified" 911-only phone.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-13-2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Install outgoing only pay phones.

By law, pay phones have to be able to dial out 911 without any coins.

Plus it would be a source of income if they are used for personal reasons. [beer]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-13-2005 07:28 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
By law, pay phones have to be able to dial out 911 without any coins.
Unfortunately physics doesn't always agree. You wouldn't believe how many line cards I've had replaced after them being hit by lightning and requiring coins before putting through any x11 calls.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The requirement is that every floor have a phone that can dial 911... Can it be a cellular phone? Any old cell phone can still dial 911, even if there is no other service plan. But, I'm doubting that that would be very smart, as it would be too easy to get "misplaced". I think Phil's pay phone suggestion, if it is feasible at your facility, sounds like a good one.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 07:34 PM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that police departments take unwanted cell phones for that very reason for battered women. If you check in when the local PD, they might beable to help you. Cell Phones do not require a service to dial 911.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-13-2005 08:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh blow it out your ass, Daryl! [Razz]

(Glad to see both you and Thomass are back posting!) [beer] [thumbsup] [evil]

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2005 09:48 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These work for you?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2005 12:38 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Install outgoing only pay phones.

If only it was that easy, according to the state, pay phones and/or cell phones cannot be used.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2005 05:58 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check with payphone.com and phonecoinc.com for "line restrictors" devices. These can mount inside ordinary phones and only allow 911 or any other owner programmed number(s) to be dialed.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 07-14-2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do those "line restricters" work? Are they effective against the use of handheld tone dialers or tapping the switchhook to simulate rotary dialing?

Paul Goulet
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Paul Goulet   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Goulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the info Scott. I think I am going to order the one that automatically dials 911 when the receiver is picked up. We have a centrex system, so to dial out we have to dial 9 before the #..I just hope those devices can be used on the that system..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: