Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » When are pirated DVDs a good thing? When it's Episode 3! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: When are pirated DVDs a good thing? When it's Episode 3!
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2005 12:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the original link to the webpage, but I have archived this FABULOUS job of captioning below as well.

-----------------

episode iii, the backstroke of the west

i saw revenge of the sith last weekend at a local theater with my friend joe who was in town on business. it was much better than the first two movies and a fitting end (err.. middle) to the star wars saga.

the next day i was walking past my friendly dvd salesperson and decided to check out revenge of the sith. i was assured the quality was good and for 7rmb why not give it a shot.

aside from the counters on the top of the screen and a distorted perspective it was ok- not high quality but watchable. the captions were a hilarious surprise- a direct english translation of the chinese interpretation of what the script was saying. it varied from being somewhat close to the script to being 'far far away'....

amazingly enough, the beginning scroll is mistranslated even though the words are right there on the screen.
 -

star war (just one)
 -

'the backstroke of the west' is the english translation of the chinese title.
 -

anakin: "this is where the fun begins"
 -

obi wan: "let them pass between us"
 -

anonymous doomed fighter pilot: "they're all over me"
 -

obi wan, space battle strategist.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2005 12:58 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
obi wan grows impatient with r2.
 -

the chancellor warns anakin and obi wan that count dooku is... big.
 -

obi wan assures the chancellor that it's no problem.
 -

count dooku talks tough.
 -

that's chancellor palpatine speaking, talking about obi wan.
 -

general grevious gets some bad news.
 -

the general considers punishing his troops.
 -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2005 12:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
anakin taunts general grevious.
 -

the general fires off a snappy comeback.
 -

ummm... ????
 -

we gonna rock down to... lemon avenue.
 -

yoda: "premonitions? premonitions?"
 -

sounds like something yoda might actually say... maybe.
 -

anakin is haunted by dreamses.
 -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2005 01:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
troopseses!
 -

anakin gets frustrated with the jedi council.
 -

this seemed completely random until i figured out that 'jedi council' was being translated into chinese then back to english as 'the presbyterian church'.
 -

anakin: "obi wan, may the force be with you"
 -

anakin bargains for the life of his cuckoldry. cuckoldry?
 -

c3po tells the amorous couple to get a room.
 -

obi wan can't face what he must do.
 -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2005 01:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
yoda insists...
 -

...and explains that the person he once knew noed longer is.
 -

anakin tells padme about his new virtues, now being both strong and big.
 -

padme doesn't want strong and big- she also doesn't want to walk on a road meant for running about.
 -

lier!!!
 -

obi wan has heard enough.
 -

i won't post any spoiler screen shots for those who haven't seen the movie yet- this is a memorable scene towards the end of the film. needless to say, obi wan wasn't actually speaking like yoda in this scene.
 -

i love this translation. darth vader is actually shouting, "nooooooooooooo..."
 -

captions there be, mangled they are.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2005 01:31 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dare I say it?

All your base are superior the elephant fuck.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-06-2005 02:14 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they should release a special edition boxed set, and include this version on an extra disc!

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2005 05:28 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only my local Odeon was still running subtitled screenings of Ep3.

What language is the Audio?

[ 07-06-2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Mark Hajducki ]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-06-2005 05:45 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-06-2005 06:19 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this IS the original script and our expected dialog is the translation?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-06-2005 08:10 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but even in Pidgin English, perfect sense Yoda's words still make! [Big Grin]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-06-2005 09:21 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laughings off the be-hindeses of my fuzzy mule I did.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-06-2005 12:17 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About THIS kind of thing, the MPAA is worried?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-06-2005 12:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is without a doubt the best laugh I have had in at least the last month. When I was a kid I got some pretty good chuckles out of Japanese attempts at using English on their signs or advertisements. But this DVD even more funny.

I'm a little worried about suggesting this, but that DVD might make for a good drinking game. Everytime an odd subtitle pops up, take a drink. Players would probably need a complete blood transfusion before the show was half over.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rolling....on...the...floor!

Thanks Pooh-Bah [thumbsup] You just made my week!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: