Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Need help on unemployement (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Need help on unemployement
Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 05:03 PM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to know what its called when you get setup on NOT STEALING money and getting fired over it.
If it matters the amount that was NOT taken was $64.25

This was a box drawer using RTS.
What I did was made the sale receipt even(since she worked all day) and left the money in the drawer to be able to see if she was over the same amount at the end of the night or even (see if it would balance out.

This employee has NEVER been short or over any amount.

I have worked for the company just about 2 months.
And just so everyone knows what company not to work for its Touchstar Cinemas in Orlando Fl.

|  IP: Logged

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 05:12 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What in the world are you trying to say??????
You could go like ten different directions on this. Try to read your sentences. They don't make sense. None at all.
Did you try to set somebody up for stealing? Did you get fired? Did somebody get fired that you didn't think deserved it? What are you trying to say?????

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Franklin, where do you work? I've never heard of Touchstar, maybe this is a good thing?...My only question is $64.25 after working all day?...In Orlando? what is that , a couple of tickets? I cant go to a theme park for less than that.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-02-2005 06:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were setup on not stealing money, I'd be pissed! I'd go to the manager right away and make sure that he knew that I actually did steal it, and that I shouldn't be fired for not stealing.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-02-2005 06:53 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused]

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2005 07:29 PM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was one of the managers I was setup i guess to see if i would take it .

Touchstar Cinemas is a small chain 5 Theatres i.e(south obt, Altamonte 8)

It was a employee's drawer who has never been short or over

So I was fired for not stealing the money.

Hey Richard its been a while I was at Muvico Pointe 21 when MegaSystems came in.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-02-2005 10:21 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Franklin Armstrong
...What I did was made the sale receipt even...
I'm totally confused! [Confused]

Are you saying that you logged into somebody ELSE'S termainal before it was balanced out and started ringing up sales?

Then, did you find out that the drawer was off by sixty-some dollars but fail to report it the instant you discovered the problem?

Then, did you tamper with the system to make the drawer appear to be even?

If that's what you did, I'd fire you too!

If a cash drawer is out of balance by more than a few dollars you have one of two problems: Either the cashier is dishonest or the he/she can't count money. I wouldn't want either of these two kinds of people handling MY money! Would you?

When you find that kind of problem in a register drawer the FIRST thing you should do is throw your hands up in the air and call the manager on duty. Let the MANAGER sort it out!

By doing anything other than calling a manager, YOU are basically setting YOURSELF up to take the fall for SOMEBODY ELSE'S F*** Up!

Furthermore, I DOUBT it was a set-up! C'Mon! Take a look around you and consider the intelligence level of your average theater employee these days. It's a rare bird, indeed, who has the mental ability to put such a plan into action! On top of that, somebody who did have the intelligence to set you up would have instantly recognized that, if the sting went bad and you got away with the cash, THEY would be fired for mishandling the company's funds! Would you risk your own job just to get back at some pipsqueak cashier!? No? Neither would they!

You need to make it clear exactly what happend because I, like the others, am inclined to think that you screwed the pooch pretty badly but management didn't think you had any other redeeming qualities to make it worthwhile to keep you around. Otherwise, they would have moved you to another job where you wouldn't be around money.

Sorry... Don't mean to be harsh. That's just what I gather from what you said.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2005 12:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were you trying to cover up the overage by making the receits appear even? They may have prefered you to record the overage on your nightly records and deposit the 64.25. There is a lot of confusion here.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-03-2005 02:14 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to a couple people I've known who were bank managers, the cashier who settles to the cent every day is definitely stealing.

Thomas Dieter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2005 02:29 AM      Profile for Thomas Dieter   Email Thomas Dieter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, here's what I gather from Franks Story, and correct me if I'm wrong. Frank was the manager coming on duty for the evening shift at his theatre, and upon arrival, he counted the following drawers to make sure that they were even and correct. RTS, having worked with it myself, has the ability for you to count the drawer down and make the balance of the drawer $0.00 before you close the station. Frank thinking that he might have counted it wrong, just marked the station $0.00 going on the impression that the $64.25 would not be there when he counted down at the end of the night cause the person was never off in the first place. Well, somewhere the $64.25 isn't being documented.

I take it that you worked over at the Altamonte 8 there Frank. Honestly myself, from the way it sounds, you might have been setup. Even then though, you should have CYA.

Personally myself, having marked the sales receipt even, at the end of the night after closing, I would have made a detailed note stating what you had done. Granted, you might have done this, but you didn't state that.

On a side note, I personally would not work for Touchstar Cinemas as I feel the owner himself is a crook. I inquired on being a projectionist at the Altamonte 8 thinking I might find the grass a little greener with more screens, and the theatre reopening. I found out quick that was not so. The owner wanted me to take a pay cut by over a 1$ an hour, and no medical or dental insurance. I said, nope, sorry.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-03-2005 02:52 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I used to service that booth when it was GCC. They have Cinemecheapica platters there! [Eek!] You're probably better off where you are.

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2005 04:03 AM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not an uncommon practice to make an employees drawer over with the hopes they will steal it.
Many employees get away with re-selling tickets. Selling without printing tickets. and lots lots more.
Lots of these cashiers are wizzes at math and make sure their drawers are "right" before the end of their shift.
But throw an extra 12 dollars or so in their drawer when you give them change or when they are not looking and watch that money not be there when you count their drawer.
If their drawer is "perfect" when you count it down...............Nailed Ya Sucka!! [thumbsup]

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2005 06:48 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One cinema I used to work for (on box office/concessions) till drawers were counted up in the Cash office. (The box office system did not reveal the 'expected' total except on the management terminals).

It the actual total did not mach the expected total (a small margin of error was allowed) then this was meant to be recorded and monitored (to see if somebody is regularly over or short).

In reality (I think the over-shorts counted against the managers getting a bonus) any over was often kept seperate and used to balance shortages on other tills so as to have as many as possible balancing. If a surplus accumulated this was used to 'buy' concessions items so as to improve the stock levels (the company had tight stock targets).

---

It seems that Franklin may have been guilty of doing something similar to this so as to improve conceved site performance.

Alternatively another (more senior) manager may have deliberately made the draw short so as to test your reactions and following of procedure.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2005 08:23 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry - but just the explaination alone would get someone fired at my theatre..........

When someone's drawer is .01 cent over or short it is documented. Also - I have never heard of this 'setting up' of someone by starting their drawer out as over. The whole deal sounds shady. Shady stuff will get you fired everytime....

Weird stuff.....

Franklin Armstrong
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2005 08:49 AM      Profile for Franklin Armstrong   Email Franklin Armstrong   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas you are right (sorry everyone it happened yesterday)
quote: Thomas Dieter
he counted the following drawers to make sure that they were even and correct. RTS, having worked with it myself, has the ability for you to count the drawer down and make the balance of the drawer $0.00 before you close the station. Frank thinking that he might have counted it wrong, just marked the station $0.00 going on the impression that the $64.25 would not be there when he counted down at the end of the night cause the person was never off in the first place.
I was fired over it I only was going to sort it out at the end of the night

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: