Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Paul Winchell has passed away at 82

Author Topic: Paul Winchell has passed away at 82
Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-27-2005 02:49 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Winchell was the cartoon voice to Disney's Tigger from the Winnie the Pooh series of films & videos. He passed away in LA at 82 last Friday.

This is the fifth cartoon voice artist to pass away in the last two months.

Thurl Ravenscroft "Tony the Tiger"
Howard Morris "Gopher" Winnie the Pooh, Jetsons, Flintstones, Beetle Bailey, Atom Ant, Jughead
Henry Corden "Fred Flintstone" (since 1977 after original voice passed away Alan Reed)
John Fiedler "Piglet" Winnie the Pooh

RIP [Frown]

Thanks

[ 06-27-2005, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Bill Gabel ]

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-27-2005 03:21 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Mr. Winchell, lots of voices have been silenced. RIP. [Frown]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0934593/

http://www.paulwinchell.com/

quote:
December 21, 1922 - June 24, 2005

Paul Winchell had a lifetime of achievements however I was most impressed with what he was doing right up until his passing. At 82 Paul was still active and was working on streaming video that would showcase full half hour children shows from the 50's and 60's. Not just his shows, but as many performers as he could get that had wholesome children's programming. He wanted it all to be free to the public.

He knew more about and better understood the technology of the Internet than most people one quarter his age and often compared the spread of broadband to the early days of television when he could judge the spread of television by the number of rooftop antennas. Paul had a dedicated media server that was streaming some of his early work for a while (Paul Winchell Kids Network) but put the project on hold for a year until technology could catch up, broadband had a greater saturation, and he could get the rights for the shows he wanted to broadcast over the Internet.

I will greatly miss my long conversations with him and his desire to push the boundaries of "what's next" rather than living in "what was". As was often the case he was a little ahead of his time.

For recent radio interviews with Paul click here.

Michael Sowers
webmaster
www.paulwinchell.com

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-27-2005 05:50 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was saddened by the news of Paul Winchell's passing. It brought back some early childhood memories. Tigger was my favorite character from the Winnie the Pooh stories. We even had a Siamese cat named Tigger.

Then I heard this shocking news today:

quote:
John Fiedler, voice of Piglet, dies

Actor also starred in 'Bob Newhart Show'

Monday, June 27, 2005; Posted: 8:02 a.m. EDT (12:02 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- John Fiedler, a stage actor who won fame as the voice of Piglet in Walt Disney's Winnie-the-Pooh films, died Saturday, The New York Times reported in Monday editions. He was 80.

Fiedler served in the Navy during World War II before beginning a stage career in New York. He performed in supporting roles alongside Sidney Poitier on Broadway, John Wayne in Hollywood and Bob Newhart on television.

With Newhart, on "The Bob Newhart Show," he was Mr. Peterson, the meek patient who was often a target for Jack Riley's sarcastic Mr. Carlin.

Fiedler also appeared in the films "12 Angry Men," "The Odd Couple," "True Grit," "The Fortune" and "Sharky's Machine," and was a cast member on the TV show "Buffalo Bill."

But he was best known for the squeaky voice of the ever-worrying Piglet that he landed when someone noticed his naturally high-pitched voice.

"Walt Disney heard it on a program and said, 'That's Piglet,' " his brother James Fiedler told The Times.

In addition to his brother, Fiedler is survived by a sister, Mary Dean, The Times reported. The newspaper did not report the cause or location of his death.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

It turns out both Fiedler and Winchell passed within hours of each other. For the world of cartoon voice talent it seems just as sad as presidents Jefferson and Adams passing on the same day. I just can't see anyone else voicing Piglet or Tigger. The voices are just too unique.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2005 06:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Fiedler was "Lawyer Daggett" in the John Wayne classic "True Grit". He'll be missed. [Frown]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-30-2005 09:40 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Jeff. That was the first question that popped in my mind.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising that we're losing so much voice talent. The films they performed in were made back when animation was still enjoying its heyday. Time has caught up with them.

Like our past greats Daws Butler, Bill Thompson, Mel Blanc, et.al., Winchell had a great trick voice and knew how to use it. By contrast, much of the voice work heard today -- performed by flavor-of-the-day actors speaking in their normal bland voices -- is wholly uninspired.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-30-2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, modern animated movies are definitely lacking in great voice talent.

Joe Ranft of Pixar is the only person I can think of immediately who does good voice work in modern movies. He was the voice of Heimlich in "A Bug's Life," Wheezy, the Penguin in "Toy Story 2" and Jaques in "Finding Nemo."

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-30-2005 03:32 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't John Fiedler in that Star Trek episode yelling; "Die, die, you'll all die ...!"

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-30-2005 08:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was him.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: