Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » War of Worlds - a dud? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: War of Worlds - a dud?
Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 08:45 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2005-06-23/#3

(the above link may expire)

This is the normal routine for Speilberg when one of his movies turns out to be a dud. I remember this from Jurassic Park 2.

Article:

Film Critics Barred From Mars

New York film critics have been barred from tonight's (Thursday) premiere of Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, leading New York Times columnist Campbell Robertson to wax poetic -- Yeatsian, really -- to speculate whether the snub might have something to do with star Tom Cruise's Scientology beliefs, or last weekend's incident in which a bogus reporter squirted him with a phony microphone, or his bizarre behavior on Oprah Winfrey's talk show. ("The press lacks all conviction, while TOM CRUISE/Is full of passionate intensity, /Really, really passionate intensity.") Meanwhile, film critics in Germany threatened Wednesday to boycott War of the Worlds if they are required to sign an agreement not to publish a review before its June 29 release date in that country. While an informal agreement exists between U.S. critics and studios to withhold publication of reviews of new movies until the day of their premieres, no such agreement exists in Germany. In a statement released Wednesday, the Association of German Film Critics said that the studio demand represents "scandalous P.R." and "obstructs the press from its constitutionally guaranteed rights."

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-24-2005 09:09 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: article writer
film critics in Germany threatened Wednesday to boycott War of the Worlds
I fail to see how this could hurt the movie in anyway....oh wait, maybe its due to the people who cant think for themselves and listen to critics.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-24-2005 09:39 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Dennis! Our friend Chris D. saw it and said it was pretty good. Generally, I would think that means it will not be BAD.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-24-2005 10:23 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jeremy Fuentes
I fail to see how this could hurt the movie in anyway....oh wait, maybe its due to the people who cant think for themselves and listen to critics.
No, it is because being written about in the papers is publicity for a movie.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-24-2005 10:28 AM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you mean bad publicity?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 10:52 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey - if Chris said it was good. Then it's good.

All this weird publicity is darn confusin'. I guess I'll have to attend that 'party in fresno'......

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-24-2005 11:12 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In other cases on some movies the studios will not hold press screenings. Or hold a select screening with the select press that always gives the artists a good review. But when they release a film without any press screenings that was always a sign of the studio having a turkey on it's hands.

The Ziegfeld Theatre premiere in New York last night was an all Digital 2K Presentation.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-24-2005 11:35 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
that was always a sign of the studio having a turkey on it's hands.
That was my first thought when I read that story.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-24-2005 12:40 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
The Ziegfeld Theatre premiere in New York last night was an all Digital 2K Presentation.
How times have changed. I remember the late 1980s and early 1990s when just about anything playing at the Ziegfeld was shown in 70mm, a real big screen format. 2K video projection, even if its the latest greatest digital stuff, still pales in comparison.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-24-2005 01:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's every possibility that the film will be a crowd-pleaser, but not a critic-pleaser. If the studio knows this, then they're probably doing a good thing by keeping the critics from screening it. Then the critics will get peeved and write a bunch of "bad buzz" whining about how they were denied seeing the screening. Personally I feel that this type of bad buzz is probably not as harmful as a raft of bad reviews would be, so maybe the studio knows what it's doing.

We were planning on playing WOTW on the break but decided to back-off because we were getting too far behind other playable movies. I'm sure there are other small venues doing the same because of the crowded schedule.

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 06-24-2005 01:56 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're not playing it because we think Tom Cruise has completely lost his mind. [Wink]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-24-2005 02:48 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the Today show interview this morning with Matt he looked ready to be locked up [Eek!] One of Tom's eyes had a dark ring like he had been in a fight. His topic was his opposition, based on his religious teachings, to "mind altering" prescription drugs [uhoh] ....I'll go see the movie regardless [Cool]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-24-2005 03:05 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it could be the aliens from Battlefield Earth coming back for revenge on the critics. [Eek!]

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 03:10 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it ... not bad ...

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2005 09:31 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like everyone to go over to the "film review' section and check the reviews for this film.

I knew it....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: