Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » FASHION TREND 1930's audio gear

Author Topic: FASHION TREND 1930's audio gear
Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JAPAN: The latest fashion since worn out jeans: ….Old sound equipment (or new made in old design case) For instance, Valve power amps and hi range speakers with huge flared horns. Oh no, that would be right, I just threw out my huge horned speakers.
There selling for $4000 in Nagoya (where Expo 2005 is)

|  IP: Logged

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, It's actually been the "Fashion" for over forty years. Flea powered single ended valve amps & super efficient Horn speakers. Done right the results can be Jaw dropping. I made some sweet coin in the 70's selling 30's vintage Western Electric gear to an exporter who dealt with the asian market. [Big Grin]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2005 12:45 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeh, that's old news. Been going on at least 20 years that I know of.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2005 01:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't anything large being popular in Japan since the average dwelling over there is smaller than a typical American ass.

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 03:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Japanese homes may not be as small as we are led to believe. There has got to be some people with plenty of money, as OSAKA and TOKYO were surveyed as the first and second most expensive cities in the world.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-26-2005 08:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hear that in Japan, hotels are basically like a morgue, you sleep in a cube-shaped hole in the wall, and that is all the space there is in your entire room.

Or something like that.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like these, Joe? [Smile]

Apparently these hotels are for businessmen who need a cheap place to sleep if they missed the last train home. Tourists can still book more conventional lodging.

I saw this hotel concept on TV quite a few years ago (IIRC, it may have been one of Bill Geist's segments on "CBS Sunday Morning") and, yes, it sort of looks like a morgue...with TV and individual A/C in each cell.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2005 10:03 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why does consumer audio seem to start at 100+ watts?

I've got an IPC amp from the early 1930's. It has a beautiful sound. Hiss is gone, and no hum, after a few new caps, and several big resistors. This amp came from a small theatre here in NC. The last film I saw there was "The Longest Yard" in 1974. The amp was still in use, and had no trouble being heard over the laughter of the packed house. The speakers in the theatre were very old Altec. Someone else got them when the theatre was demolished.

The 2A3's are not powerful tubes. Only 10-12 watts, AFAIK.

Back when I was repairing the amp, I posted requests on the 'net for schematics for this amp on several forums that I frequent. I got no schematics, but I DID get lots of requests to buy it from me. Its not for sale, right now. [Razz] Of the 10 requests that I got, 8 were not in the US.

I dont want any more American electronics to leave the USA. I'm trying to get all that I can find to keep here.

I dont run this amp with any of the speakers that I have on hand. They all like larger amps.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-26-2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually mainland China has taken the lead in producing new toobe gear of all types. Its not necessarily less expensive to buy per say after the U.S. distributer makes his cut but one can generally order it direct from a mainland China or Hong Kong dealer anyway. Both mid-fi and excellent high end products can be had very inexpensively if one orders direct. An example below of a 20 watt integrated S.E. 845 tube amp that sells direct for less than 500.00 U.S. with the tubes. You could barely buy the toobes for that NOS here in the states.

UK based Chinese Hi-Fi distributers link here

Kevin, You're nosing around in the wrong country! Check out around the Guyangdong Province in China........

-

-

Paul J. Neuhaus
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Paul J. Neuhaus   Email Paul J. Neuhaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe and Jon,

Wow, those are some small rooms. When I was in Japan, Korea, and Thailand the hotels are all pretty much the same. They were smaller then a U.S. hotel room but not too small. Kinda like a Super 8. The one common thing is shower head height. Wow, only made for short people. Remember the shower scene from "Lost in Translation"? Totaly like that! But when it comes to appartments that is a different story. Very Very small!

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry there is no corner of this planet I don't intend to "nose around"..and for an extended duration too. So keep tuned in.

The Capsule hotels are I think male/local only...thus - little first hand info on them, but sounds very organized for a cheep clean & safe sleep, in the city.

I'm shooting HD video, and the first upload to my site, with an intro to EXPO 05, will be available in the morning (Wed) I'm very proud of the first segment, so check it out. www.filmtheatres.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: