Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Driving from San Diego to Seattle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Driving from San Diego to Seattle
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-17-2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need some time off, so the invitation to take part in a music festival in Seattle in mid-July seems to come at exactly the right time. I haven't figured out yet whether I should fly or drive. Obviously, flying is very quick and flights are available for little money, but I am seriously thinking about driving. I could take my own bass then rather than having to rent one in Seattle, wouldn't have to rent a car there either and I am curious what the US North West looks like. I haven't been further North than San Francisco and Napa Valley.

Mapquest says it is 1250 miles and takes 18 hours. But that means just going on I-5. I know the PCH all the way up to SF, so I could "bypass" that on the freeway to save time. The rest of the distance, how long does it really take? Which route would you take? What is there to see on the way? What is Seattle like? What can I do and see there?

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2005 05:00 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from Seattle Mike.
You're going to love this part of the country. We're not called the Evergreen State for nothing. Please be sure to look us up when you get here. We work for Landmark, which has 8 theatres here, and you are more than welcome to check them out.
There's lots to do here in the summer months so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Looking foward to seeing you again.
I work at the Metro 10 and you can reach me at a phone number which has been deleted that I should have emailed to you privately. Just ask for the booth, as most of our employees never know which one of us is up there.

[ 06-19-2005, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Brad Miller ]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 06-18-2005 09:50 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I lived in Los Angeles and would take a drive up to San Francisco it would take me on I-5 about 5 1/2 hours. That was from Santa Monica to the Bay Bridge. If you take PCH which is a great drive along the coast in many sections of the state, it adds alot of time to the trip. In parts its only two lanes when you get up near the Santa Cruz / Monterey areas. The upper part of the state is very nice to in the Mt. Shasta area.

But remember the half way point when driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco is Coalinga . Remember to roll up your windows and cut the vent around this small piece of road. It only lasts a short time. Because on your right side of the highway there is a large amount of cattle there. [Eek!]

Seattle is a very nice area, I had a great time the last time I was there.

Have a Great trip.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2005 10:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

While you're on the drive just loop over by Salt Lake City and pick up your platter motors [Big Grin] .

BE sure to visit Jack Ondracek's drive In while you're in the Seattle area...... Also, if there is time take a trip out to the San Juan Islands.

Mark

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2005 11:41 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the Seattle area last June and visited my family in the Lynnwood and Shoreline neighborhoods. My uncle has been out there since the late 60's and worked for the Department of Health in Snohomish County.

Being from the east, I was unimpressed with coastal Washington. It was cold, wet, and overcast all the time (winter weather for me). Although the mountains and forests are vast and beautiful, the city of Seattle itself seemed over ran with a mix of gaudy-dressed hippies ranging from what looked like Eastern mystics to skate board types. Many were filthy, greasy, and just left me with a sense that I did not want to go back. Of course, I've seen these same types in places like Pittsburgh and Cleveland, but in those cities they are few. Seattle had far more and they looked happily united there.

When I made this trip I traveled by rail and also stoped to see cousins in Las Vegas by way of a connection in Los Angeles. Amtrak's Coast Starlight made the Seattle to LA run in about 30 hours, though we were delayed about two hours in the Cascade Mountains. I loved the train, but in your case I'd still recommend driving.

California is without a doubt the most beautiful state I've ever seen, but I still wouldn't live there even if you paid me.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2005 11:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
California is without a doubt the most beautiful state I've ever seen, but I still wouldn't live there even if you paid me.

I guess then that you haven't seen much of Utah, Idaho, or Montana......

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2005 12:30 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to Utah so the jury is still out on that one. Unfortunately, I crossed through Idaho in the dead of night and did not truely experience its geography. Granted, it was just a small section of the northern panhandle. Montana was interesting to say the least. The eastern part of the state near Wolf Point is no different than the Dakotas, but what I found different was just how quickly the Rocky Mountains come up on you. I went into the dinning car for my evening meal while we were still out in the open country. By the time I was finished we were in the mountains. It was that quick. Here in Pennsylvania you need at least two hours in the foothills before you actually cross into the Appalachiens.

I guess I was just struck by the beauty of California in that along the coast it truely is a golden shore when the sun hits it just right. Even at night, Mount Shasta still had enough snow on it to reflect the moon light. And the closer we got to LA, the more the cities and villages had more of a southwest flaire to them such as Martinez, Santa Monica, and Santa Barbara especially.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-18-2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the reverse of Michael's proposed road trip in 1997 - Vancouver, BC to San Diego, CA checking out various Japanese language graduate degree programs. I wound up using a combination of I-5 and various incarnations of PCH along the way. Since I didn't have a schedule I took my time - six days all together. Some of the things I stopped to look at:

Bellingham and Lynden, WA (seeing old friends)

All of the touristy things to do in SEA (Space Needle, IMAX, monorail, International District), but especially (for me anyway):
Boeing Factory tour in Renton, and
Boeing Museum of Flight in Seattle
University of Washington

Salmon hatcheries near Portland, OR
Bonneville Dam and fish ladders

Howard Hughes' HK-1 Hercules "Spruce Goose" displayed at McMinnville, OR

University of Oregon in Eugene

Shasta Dam

Fort Ord, Mendocino, Clear Lake, Ukiah, CA
The Redwood forest stands in that area
The Skunk Train
Winsor, Santa Rosa, Petaluma, San Rafael, Tiburon, CA (seeing more old friends)

Japan Town, and the Castro Theater, San Francisco, CA

California 1 Highway (PCH, right on the coast):
Watsonville
Monterey
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Cannery Row
Monterey Institute of International Studies
Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center
The famous 17-Mile Loop
Carmel-By-The-Sea (Clint Eastwood's Hog's Breath Inn)
Big Sur
San Simeon
Hearst Castle (check out the 40-minute 70mm film cabinet in the booth at the LF theater there [Big Grin] )
Cambria
Morro Bay

Inland to San Luis Obispo and mostly back on US-101 / I-5 for the rest of the trip, except for:

Solvang (a bit of the Netherlands in SoCal)

Didn't do the rest of the coast route southward since I've done that part so many times before. Definitely want to do the rest of the west coast again, when I have a car or plane again someday.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you have to get off the main highways in all those states to see some really amazing stuff. In Utah the closest thing located to the highway(30 miles off to be exact)is Zion National Park. Except for Yosemite Park California is way over-rated and now way over-run. My favorite coast line is still Oregon and after that Maine. The San Jusn Islands are very hard to beat for sheer beauty but they are almost a trip in themselves. I would certainly bypass Seattle if I was heading that way. Another really neat place is Isle Royale in Lake Superior. This is the least visited National Park and is mainly a divers heaven for shipwrecks. But some great hiking and scenery is also at hand there.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-18-2005 05:42 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be visiting San Jose and Los Angeles in September for some research work, and hope to spend a few days off at the end of it. A friend in Los Angeles suggested that a 'no stress' way of sightseeing might be to take the 'Coast Starlight' train mentioned by Aaron at the end of my trip, and then fly home from Seattle. Even though I don't like trains as a general rule, I must admit to being quite tempted by the idea, especially as I'd like to stop off at Santa Barbara to visit another friend, which is also on that line. Another advantage would be not having to hire a car and worry about driving on what is for us the 'wrong' side of the road. I'm also told that, being a Brit, I might find the Coast Starlight a very familiar experience, because apparently it is notorious for running late!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-18-2005 06:04 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, then you can't go off on excursions on your own, such as Hearst Castle, which is well worth the trip by itself. Remember that while late trains may remind you of Britain, there is nothing like the public transport density here that you know from European cities. In any case, when you come to California, let me know, then we can get together for a drink in LA or somewhere in the area.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-18-2005 07:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Aaron Mehocic
The eastern part of the state near Wolf Point is no different than the Dakotas
That's too general. The NORTHeastern part of the state is no different than North Dakota. The SOUTHeastern part, where I live, is actually quite different even from South Dakota. (Anyone who thinks this is nitpicking should keep in mind that Montana is around 400 miles from top to bottom.) Take a drive across Montana on I-90/I-94 sometime. It's probably one of the prettiest freeway drives there is, no matter what part of the state you're in. Most places you have to get off the highway to see anything...not here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2005 11:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I like most of Montana but south central is my favorite. This is the route that goes to one of my customers theatres.... a little mud slide problem right now from the snow melt but hopefully that'll be mopped up later this summer when I have to go there...... This would be fun in a Ferarri but is a bit tricky of a drive in a chevy van.

-

Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-18-2005 11:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Beartooth Highway. I love that road. You can forget about it for this summer though. They plan to "possibly" have it open by October, if they can get it open this year at all.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-18-2005 11:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, just finished reading an article in the Billings Gazette about the mud slides.... a bit more than juat a mop job up there.... more like build bridges where there isn't any road or mountain left......! Guess I'll have to go around the long way... through Yellowstone and Cody, WY...... back around to Red Lodge.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: