Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Could you pass the UK citizenship test? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Could you pass the UK citizenship test?
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 08:50 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an example of a multiple choice exam which new immigrants will now need to sit in order to get a British passport. I'm ashamed to say that I only got 11 right (I got 1, 7, 12 & 14 wrong)!

Some of the questions look a bit ambiguous to me - for example, the correct answer to question 8 would probably depend on what sort of pub you were in and what sort of person you'd spilt beer over! [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 09:39 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-Hoo!! I got 5 right!

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-16-2005 11:32 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've earned a seat in Heathrow Arrivals... with a 5 too.
But at least I got that first pub question right. [beer]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 12:21 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not have got most of them.

The '12' certificate was replaced by '12a' some time ago for cinema exhibition, though it is still used on videos.

The nominal Voltage was changed from 240 to 230 a few years ago to bring us into line with the mainland. Theirs was raised from 220 to 230 Volts. Tolerances were changed to bring the existing Voltages within the allowed range.

Who the hell cares where the myth of Father Christmas came from, or when various saints' days are? (I haven't got a clue when any of them are) Why would anyone wanting to live here need to know?

Knowing what number to dial in an emergency is obviously important, but most of the rest of it isn't. I think the most important thing is a reasonable knowledge of the English language; at least if you've got that you can ask for help or advice on any other matter if you need it.

In Croydon on a Friday night the fight would be almost certain, but since the pubs here don't generally have car parks it would be out in the street.

Gunnar Johansson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Gunnar Johansson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Johansson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got 11 right, a seat in the Parliament, apparently...

But then Iīm an anglophile... And I havenīt read the "manual"...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 12:52 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a seat on the district council ...

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i got an 8. UK here I come!

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-16-2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The UK introduced the 112 number to help foreign visitors who may not know that 999 is the main emergency number.
Why, exactly? What is the significance of "112" elsewhere in the world?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the answers (I got this one wrong, of course):
quote:
The UK introduced the 112 number to help foreign visitors who may not know that 999 is the main emergency number.
Does this make any sense? Make up a new emergency number because visitors don't know the usual one? Doesn't is seem slightly more sane to just tell new arrivals what the right number is?
I suppose this doubles the probability that somebody in a panic who is frantically dialling random 3 digit numbers will actually connect to the emergency centre (from 1 in 1000 to 2 in 1000 each time)... still doesn't make sense to me.

Edit: I looked up the international "911" numbers and 112 is there but hardly dominates. The site is http://www.sccfd.org/travel.html and there's way too much there to quote here I think. Maybe vistors from Curacao or Greece have a lot of trouble remembering 999?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think 112 is the most common in Europe, most countries use it, in some cases alongside an older, national, number, as in Britain. I think it's a European harmonisation thing.

Between them, 112 and 911 cover a large part of the World; maybe there's a case for making both available everywhere. Is there anywhere that either of these numbers is used for any non-emergency purpose? There are places where different numbers are used for each service, but as long as at least one of them is using 112 or 911 it wouldn't really matter; if you wanted the Fire Brigade, but got the Police, it would only take a couple of seconds for them to transfer the call for you, no longer than for an emergency operator to put you through.

My guess is that 112 will soon be published as the emergency number in Britain, but that 999 will still work for a long time to come. As a matter of interest, does anybody know if 911 will work here, or if 112 will work in 911 countries?

Many years ago, when the speaking clock changed from TIM to 123 the new number worked long before it was published. In the last couple of decades London has changed from 01 to 071 and 081 to 0171 and 0181 to 020. In each case there was an official overlap period when either number could be used, but in each case the new nmber would work for some time before this period started. It wouldn't surprise me if unpublished emergency numbers can actually be used.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-16-2005 02:31 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the UK has multiple 3-digit numbers for various purposes?

In the US, I'm only aware of 911 (emergency), 411 (information), and 611 (telephone repair service). In some areas, there is a 3-digit ANI number (reads back your phone number...888-902-9998 is the nationwide equivalent), too.

The "time of day" number varies by location. In the 617 area code, it's 637 followed by any four digits (e.g. 617-NERVOUS will give you the time, plus or minus twenty seconds or so). Same for the weather number (which usually begins with 93--i.e. WEather).

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got 10 right.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-16-2005 02:48 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
So the UK has multiple 3-digit numbers for various purposes?
Yes. Most of them except the emergency number are 1XX, and 9XX is also reserved. For example, 100 gets you the operator, 152 is to report a fault and 141 is dialed before the a customer's number if you want to withhold yours (i.e. your number won't appear on the LCD display of the person your calling's 'phone).

Agreed with Stephen that most of these questions are pretty silly. If you're going to have a test at all, IMHO, the emphasis should be on stuff you really need to know in order to get through everyday life - for example, knowing what businesses are closed on a bank holiday, or that you have to buy a licence in order to use a TV in your home, would surely be of more use to newly arrived immigrants more than knowing where the myth of Father Christmas came from. The cultural stuff can come later, and furthermore I don't think you really need to test people on that: all the immigrants I know are very keen to take that on board. I would be if I were even to live in another country temporarily, let alone want to become a citizen of one.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 07:34 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YAHOO WHAOO...8 RIGHT!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-2005 07:35 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got them all right. I am now a citizen of the United Kingdom.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: