Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Indiana Jones - Episode IV: Attack of the Clones (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Indiana Jones - Episode IV: Attack of the Clones
Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2005 11:22 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spielberg Mum on 'Indiana Jones 4'

quote:

Mon Jun 13, 9:51 AM ET

Director Steven Spielberg absolutely, positively won't reveal the plot for "Indiana Jones 4."

Spielberg, whose latest film, "War of the Worlds," debuted in Tokyo on Monday, said he and "Star Wars" director George Lucas are working on the movie together.

"If I did that, my really good friend and collaborator would have me on a silver platter," Spielberg told AP Radio. "I gotta be careful because if I tell you that he might take over directing 'Indy 4' himself. And I won't have a job."

Spielberg and Lucas hope to start shooting the new "Indiana Jones" movie next year with Harrison Ford.

Copyright © 2005 The Associated Press.

Okay. Who's taking bets? Will George get his way and shoot it on video, or will Steven win and shoot film?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-14-2005 12:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
My bet, Lucas will win. Video it will be.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-14-2005 12:41 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that they want to make this film more in the "old fashioned way," that is less digital efx, more real stunts, etc. so I'm betting film. That is, if it ever gets made at all.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-14-2005 02:24 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"If I did that, my really good friend and collaborator would have me on a silver platter," Spielberg told AP Radio. "I gotta be careful because if I tell you that he might take over directing 'Indy 4' himself. And I won't have a job."
That is a really dire threat. Lucas would probably let Jar-Jar and young Greedo into the movie.

Here is something I never understood. Lucas couldn't hire Spielberg to direct "Return of the Jedi" because he had left the union after the credits scandal. But they worked together on the Indiana Jones movies. How did that work?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-14-2005 08:04 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bernardoproductions.com/p855.html

All the Right Movies

Washington Rolls the Credits for Director Steven Spielberg

Jacqueline TrescottWashington Post Staff Writer
August 12, 1999

quote:
In the end, Spielberg promised not only to keep making movies but to keep making them the old-fashioned way. He's not going to box everything in a computer. "I'm going to make all my films on film until they close the last lab down," he said to more cheers.
http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/1999-08-12#film2

quote:
Spielberg Won't Shoot Films Digitally

Steven Spielberg has vowed to continue to make movies "the old fashioned way, " on celluloid rather than on hard disks. Speaking Wednesday night at the Smithsonian Institution's Baird Auditorium in Washington D.C., where he received the James Smithson Bicentennial Medal, Spielberg distanced himself from his longtime friend and sometime colleague George Lucas, who has announced plans to shoot his next Star Wars movie entirely on digital media. As reported in today's (Thursday) Washington Post, Spielberg told the Smithsonian audience: "I'm going to make all my films on film until they close the last lab down." The audience cheered.

Unfortunately, never say never about shooting on video when Mr. Lucas may be paying the bills as the producer.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-14-2005 08:57 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Indiana Jones movies had conventional credits at the beginning. STAR WARS was unique in that one of the contentions was that the "LUCASFILM" card at the beginning was a "credit" since it had Lucas' name. In reality it is no more a credit than "MIRIMAX" or the 20th Century Fox fanfare. Personally, I don't think ANY movies should have credits at the beginning...one shouldn't take credit for something they have yet to deliver on...you take credit (or responsibility) at the end. I also don't go for long credits.

I think the next Indy will be on film. Now the chore is to get SS to shoot on 65mm and do a REAL Hi-Def comparison for Georgie.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Portable video equipment has been around for decades, but most prime time TV shows, and most TV commercials are still shot on FILM. Directors and producers know how to work with film, and like the look of it, so they continue to want to work with it. I expect that this will apply to feature production as well. The cost difference between shooting film vs video, would not even be noticed in the huge budgets of todays features.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-14-2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I can't stand is all those shows shot on video and then taken through that photochemical step in post-production that shouts "I'm pretending to be film!" The end result is usually something that looks like it was shot on video, but with really crappy, degraded color quality.

It would be nice if any of the proponents of doing everything on video would have the balls to stand behind the true look of video and leave it as it is. Honestly, the regular video look is far superior to that film-step pretentious bullshit being applied to video. If the show needs to look like it was shot on film, shoot the damned movie on film! Geez!

On Indy IV, I agree with Mike. I think Spielberg will win out and be able to shoot the movie on film in traditional 35mm 'scope. But that's only if the film gets made at all. I have my doubts it will ever happen. 65mm true widescreen (and true high def) would be great. However, it would be inconsistent with the formats of the first three films. But if the show is set in something like the late 1950's or early 1960's (the time of the space race, Cuban missile crisis, etc.) there might be some historical justification to shoot the movie on 65mm. After all, that was the time when 65mm/70mm was in its prime.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2005 08:05 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're really dreaming if you think this film is going to be shot on 65mm.

I'm hoping it's not shot in 2-perf Super Pan. I can't stand all that grain.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-14-2005 08:34 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the problem with Lucas hiring Spielberg as director only because of the credits or would Spielberg not have been allowed to work for him by the union? Couldn't have Lucas simply have changed the title to "A Lucasfilm production directed by Steven Spielberg" or would he have had to add a whole bunch of other credits?

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 02:42 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
That is, if it ever gets made at all.
Of course it will get made: They just released the complete trillogy on DVD, so Lucas has to do something to make it incomplete, and, thus, require an updated "complete" set. [Roll Eyes]

Mark Pierce
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Mark Pierce   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Pierce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that if Spielberg directs it'll be on film. If Lucas takes the reigns... I'm buying stock in ones and zeros!!!! ;-) [Cool]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-16-2005 07:31 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if you guys bashed George Lucas in the same way when he pioneered digital sound post-production with Sprocket Systems/Skywalker Sound? Or, established the reference point in visual effects with ILM? Or, put Dolby Stereo on the map with "Star Wars"? Or, led the resurgence in popularity of 70mm with "The Empire Strikes Back"? What about TAP? THX? Even Pixar started as a division of ILM.

Just wondering.

I will always believe George Lucas is a visionary. He has incredible foresight. No other individual has contributed as much to filmmaking artifice as he has, and he continues to forge new vistas.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-2005 07:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see nothing wrong with shooting and presenting movies digitally. But if you're gonna do that, please at least use a noticeably higher resolution than HDTV!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-16-2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are pioneering efforts. It has to evolve, but it won't if no one is using it. For example, the blue screen work in the first "Star Wars" was well below the quality of today's work; garbage mattes could be seen tracking around all the ships in the outer space shots. You will never see artifacts like that today. The technology needed to evolve, and it did... but it took time.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: