Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » YASHICA MAT 124G

Author Topic: YASHICA MAT 124G
Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2005 06:41 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has very little with our jobs to do, -but does any of You know the japanse Yashica Mat 124G twin lens middle format camera - Produced in the seventies and early eighties - A clone of famous german Rolleiflex.
This fine, old piece was hidden deep inside my closet with photo gear, and seems to work ok after 15 years or so in the dark. -Only trouble in this othervise all-mechanical camera is the built in meter, originally driven by a 1,35 volt battery - a tiny hearing-aid size thing, so far I understand now discontinued and forbidden due to quicksilver contents.
Have any of You any experience ? - Other battery possibilities or modifying possible ? The 124G is certainly no Hasselblad 6x6, but a damned good camera anyway - and much too good to be thrown away - or hidden in the closet....

Per

Per

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-12-2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this site Per: PhotoBattery.com.

I faced the same problem myself with old Canon 35mm bodies that also used Mercury batteries. As you'll see on the site, there are environmentally safe replacement options now.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Per, I have one of those Yashicas, a fine piece of kit it is too. Although I don't use the meter (have a Sekonic spotmeter, and a Weston Euromaster), I do keep a battery in it. My local camera shop told me about the battery being discontinued due to the mercury issues, however there is a direct replacement, which he stocks. I'll have a look next time I have the camera out.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-12-2005 02:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would compare that meter against a known accurate one before you expose any critical film with it. Early cells like the 124 uses can age and loose sensitvity over time even if not used.

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-12-2005 06:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of these, too. Nice camera, for what it is. I'd love to have a Rolleiflex, but the Yashica is a very good substitute for about 20% of the price. It has a decent lens, is relatively lightweight, and is cheap enough that I don't worry about damaging it. It also looks old enough that no one would ever think of stealing it.

The meter in mine is broken, and so I don't need to worry about finding batteries for it. I have a handheld Luna Pro meter that I can carry in my pocket. I normally use Tri-X in it, which gives a pretty wide exposure latitude, anyway.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: