Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone into boating/angling?

Author Topic: Anyone into boating/angling?
Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2005 08:06 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, Any Film Tech'rs out there into boats or angling?

I left the cinema a year ago to live out on an island off the coast of Ireland. Was a lifetime dream to go out there and live and work with the sea. Back working at the cinema for a couple of months but itching to get back to sea!!

Anyone on the forums into boats and fishing? And I am talking sea fishing. Big sea. Usually working on a 27ft lobster boat, we use it mostly for angling and lobster work, though also for trips to the mainland. Typical fish I'd get would be pollock (you can get some nice big ones there), mackerel, glasson (irish name, don't know it in english) allsorts really.

My next dream is to save and buy a boat for myself, a nice fast fucker! Something that would do about 30knts, though a wee bit impractical in the heavy seas around there!

There must at least be a few techers out there into boating, show yourselves!

|  IP: Logged

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2005 01:34 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had my boat, & had my convertible. They were both fun. Beautiful memories of a storm pulling the top off the XK140 while driving, & hours submerged in a cold river as sundown turns into night, diving & searching for the prop on the bottom or pulling crap off the prop, while guests in the boat say "I'm tired! It's getting cold! These mosquitoes are bad! Are there snakes in this river?"

When I had my boat, I mainly used it for skiing in bays & rivers. I am too type A for fishing.

I've noticed that wherever you are in the US, you can usually tell people who've worked on the big boats in the fishing industry by looking at their hands. Do you still have all your fingers?

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-07-2005 09:51 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from a fishing town (Perfect Storm anyone?) and have been out on a boat or two. It's HARD work, I don't think people realize that...

I love the sea though, I'm missing it even more because I don't live 10 seconds from it anymore. [Big Grin]

Andy Muirhead
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Andy Muirhead   Email Andy Muirhead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still have all fingers, thankfully! Though the biggest danger is getting tangled in the ropes when your setting pots, you wouldn't be far behind them going to the bottom if you got your foot stuck!

Yeah Rachel, I remember now that your from Maine, I don't think anybody that hasn't been out fishing appreciates how tough it can be out there. It is hard work, but oh so enjoyable!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: