Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Man blows himself up with cigarette while sitting on loo

Author Topic: Man blows himself up with cigarette while sitting on loo
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 06-06-2005 07:03 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: CNN News
MORGANTOWN, West Virginia (AP) -- A man who says he was severely burned when a portable toilet exploded after he sat down and lit a cigarette is suing a general contractor and a coal company, accusing them of negligence.

John Jenkins, 53, and his wife, Ramona Jenkins, 35, of Brave, Pennsylvania, filed the suite Tuesday in county circuit court seeking $10 million in damages from Chisler Inc. and Eastern Associated Coal Corp.

The lawsuit claims Jenkins' face, neck, arms, torso and legs were severely burned last July after the cigarette ignited methane gas leaking from a pipe underneath the toilet unit.

"When I struck the lighter, the whole thing just detonated -- the whole top blew off," said Jenkins, a methane power plant operator with North West Fuels Development Inc. "I can't tell you if it blew me out the door or if I jumped out."

Eastern Associated owns the Blacksville property where the explosion occurred. Jenkins alleges that heavy equipment from Chisler Inc. ran over the pipelines before the explosion, causing the methane gas leak.

A call to the Charleston office of Peabody Energy, the parent company of Eastern Associated Coal, was not returned. A man who answered the phone at Chisler's office in Fairview said the company would have no comment.

Well, they say that smoking is bad for your health... [evil]

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2005 07:15 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoa... I sure do know why I am a non-smoker [Eek!]
Besides, is smoking prohibited in your booths? In mine, smoking is allowed.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2005 09:11 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They attempted the same thing on Myth Busters and it failed. Also, you should never smoke in a booth. Smoke leaves a residue that will get on everything. Lenses, film...etc.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 06-06-2005 09:46 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
.....the cigarette ignited methane gas leaking from a pipe underneath the toilet unit.

.....alleges that heavy equipment.....ran over the pipelines before the explosion, causing the methane gas leak.

.....Jenkins, a methane power plant operator with North West Fuels Development Inc.....

Did Myth Busters also run the scenario with a methane power plant in the background with heavy machinery running over leaky gas pipes under the portable? Just Checking...

Ciao

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2005 11:11 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No but they did fill the toilet up with mass amounts of gun powder and gasoline.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2005 02:35 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which did explode when they used massive ammounts of gun powder. But lets be accurate: They were busting the myth about hair spray and other such common household fumes being severely concentrated in the toilet bowl.

This whole thing with the gas pipe leak is different.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2005 09:57 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They also did one with Porta-Potty. They filled it with Methane but I believe they said it was lighter than air and escaped out the vents at the top of the unit. They then sealed it up and may have gotten the desired results, but they HAD to rig it to make it happen

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-07-2005 10:32 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some explosive fumes are heavier than air, and would tend to settle in low spaces (e.g., gasoline/petrol fumes).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: