Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Music videos: JLo, Britney should takes lessons from Shakira

Author Topic: Music videos: JLo, Britney should takes lessons from Shakira
Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2005 05:48 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see the record company not force Shakira to remake in her broken english one of her spanish hits La Tortura.

I love the video for this.
You can view the videos here .Or you can catch it on tv.

She does do some gratuitous rack shaking and booty shaking, but it comes across so natural versus desperate and pathetically slutty as in the case of Jennifer Lopez or Britney Spears. Love the sequence where her butt muscles drag her body on a table and then she does a Hungry Like The Wolf stare and spinaround in black oil. And she duets with some regular looking guy instead of some total wuss, or at the other extreme, some chest shaving bland dancer.

And best of all, her dance doesn't conform to the american pop star routine of put your arms in front of you, shake them to the left, shake them to the right, spin around, sit backwards on a chair, toss the chair away, and then do a perfunctory pelvic thrust. We know we have seen that done to death by the Paula Abdul, JLo , Janet Jackson school of dancing.

Anyway, after the FeelGood , Inc. video by the Gorillaz, this is my favorite video on the MTV-Vh1 lineup of channels right now.

P.S.: If anyone is near the Atlanta area next week, check out Music Midtown . 3 days 75 bucks. Killers, John Fogerty, Pixies, Devo, Louis XIV, White Stripes, Joan Jett, Tom Petty, Public Enemy, and others. Pretty good deal.

To the moderator: IS THERE A WAY TO MOVE THIS TO FILM-YAK? I MUST HAVE CLICKED ON THE WRONG FORUM BY MISTAKE.I thought I was posting to film-yak.

|  IP: Logged

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-04-2005 08:01 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do agree that Shakira is a great dancer but you can't say JLo is horrible, I think she is also a great dancer. Jlo started her career as a dancer and it shows IMO. Britany on the other hand, if you ever watch her videos, she basically dances from the waste up...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-04-2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't tell a bloomin' thing about dance ability from the videos. The cuts are all about 2 nanoseconds long -- for all we know, they instructed Britney Shakira Aguilera Lopez for five hours on each move and then stitched them all together.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-04-2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't you ever see JLo as a "flygirl" on In Living Color? C'mon, she really CAN dance! [Smile]

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2005 02:15 AM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, I don't think JLo is a horrible dancer(she had to be competent at a professional level, at the very least, to be where she was in the early 90s), and yes, i remember her on In Living Color, but I just dont care for her dance style in videos. All these famous pop stars kind of cling to the same rigid set of dance moves. They should just let their bodies sway to the music once in a while and say f*** with the choreographed dance moves.

As far as Aguilera. Ughhh. Pathetic.

Britney Spears: the only time I liked her was when she did look pretty good shaking it during the MTV awards for "oops i did It Again".

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 06-05-2005 10:52 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, just watched the video for La Tortura. She just keeps humping everything! The air, the table, the guy... There are a couple other nice moves in there but what does she do that the others don't? To me it looks just as choreographed as the rest...but thats just me. I guess oil pouring down on you is totally different then water pouring or the raining thing everyone does these days... [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: