Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Concert to aid hit-and-run victim (Scottsdale, Arizona)

Author Topic: Concert to aid hit-and-run victim (Scottsdale, Arizona)
Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-31-2005 09:46 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I already talked about this on another thread but I figured I should send out a reminder for people who are in the area to check out the show.

quote:
Concert to aid hit-and-run victim

Weldon B. Johnson
The Arizona Republic
May. 27, 2005 01:45 PM

Nick Ruppert is the kind of guy who likes to support local bands. So in his time of need, some local bands are getting together to support him.

A vehicle struck Ruppert in a hit-and-run incident around 10 p.m. March 10 while he was crossing Scottsdale Road. The Arizona State University student was heading home from his job at the Kerr Cultural Center in Scottsdale. He was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare with severe head trauma and many broken bones on the right side of his body. Since then he has endured numerous surgeries and therapy, and his medical bills are mounting.

To help, his friends in the music community are putting on a benefit concert at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Kerr Cultural Center. Tickets are $12.50.

"We were thinking about what we could do to help out," said Darrell Vasquez, a friend of Ruppert's and a member of the band Stick Figures. "So we thought we'd try to raise money for his medical bills. We also want to raise awareness to find the person who's responsible for doing this. We wanted to let people know what's going on because after a while, people forget."

The opening act will be the Mesa-based band the Funky Monks, followed by Stick Figures with special guest Jennifer Pan. Headlining will be Minibosses, a local band that plays songs from classic Nintendo video games.

"We were trying to find bands that Nick liked and see if they would help out," Vasquez said. "One of the first groups we contacted, and I knew it would be a long shot, was Megadeth. I was surprised their lead singer responded to me; he said they couldn't help out, but he gave me the number of his manager to see if he could help."

All of the bands are performing free, and the venue is being donated. They are also looking for items to raffle off to raise more money. Vasquez said anyone who cannot attend but would like to make a donation could do so at Ruppert's Web site, www.nickruppert.com.

"Our main goal is to pack the place, raise as much money as we can and have fun," Vasquez said. "We hope Nick can attend, but we're not 100 percent sure if that will happen yet."

Vasquez said they were also still hoping that someone would identify the hit-and-run driver.

"Somebody has to know something," Vasquez said. "Hopefully somebody with a conscience will come forward."

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0527sr-ruppert27-ON.html

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-31-2005 11:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll help out! I will buy 10 tickets ($125.00)... use, don't use, or donate to who you wish.

Email me where to send the check... PayPal?

I thought about making a condition that hhot Alex cook for me and be my sex slave for at least 2 hours... but I decided to pursue that another time. [Smile]

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 05-31-2005 11:53 PM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We've had some people inquiring about a way to donate electronically. To help, PayPal has set up an account for us to facilitate electronic contributions. PayPal donations may now be made to medicalfund@nickruppert.com. This should work for credit card transactions also; please email us if you run into any problems.
http://www.nickruppert.com/wst_page5.html

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-04-2005 02:57 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh heck yes! [Cool] The concert was pretty awesome, I'll post up some video clips of the show tomorrow. I'm too friggin' tired to get off my lazy butt and get the video uploaded tonight. The turn out was decent and the acts were just really cool. Two news stations with camcorders and such came by... Supposedly they will be airing some footage of the show as repeats of the news cast thought out tonight(channel 12 NBC & 3).

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-04-2005 03:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
News stations using camcorders?

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-04-2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... like this... duh. [Roll Eyes]
 -
Sony PDW 530 XDCAM 24P Optical Camcorder

Here's a clip on RealPlayer [Razz] ... I feel like being an ass and not giving you Quicktime shit. [Big Grin] Oh yeah, its definitely better when you're actually at the show. Video does not do it justice. I love footage that makes people dizzy, its so awesome.

http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/Default_4.rm
(The Funky Munks)

[ 06-04-2005, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-04-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be amazed if any news shows are using something that is capable of 24p. Our local station shoots the news in HD and it is still 60i.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-05-2005 02:53 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
24P is so sexy. [Cool] Oh just to have some of that... [eyes]

Anyways, more clips:

Stick Figures (intro and a cover song)
http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/Default_9.rm

The Funky Munks (couple songs including MEGAMAN!) Heck YES!
http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/Default_3.rm

Pointless retarded footage taken before the show as people slowly walked in. But you get to see me... so there you have it. [Razz] All of The Funky Munks and their friends brought their Nintendo DSs and linked to each other before the show... oh the world we live in... [Big Grin]
http://www.film-tech.com/ubbpics/Default_8.rm

[ 06-05-2005, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-07-2005 10:42 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jennifer Pan
24P is so sexy. [Cool] Oh just to have some of that... [eyes]

Then I know some engineers here at Kodak who would like to meet you Jennifer! [Wink]

http://videosystems.com/news/video_sony_kodak_laserpacific/

http://millimeter.com/news/video_kodak_claims_th/

quote:
Kodak scientists first discussed the advantages of a 24p video standard in a technical paper published in 1992 by the Journal of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. Kodak scientists strongly proposed the inclusion of 24p in HDTV standards, as well as the technical implementation to a SMPTE working group. These standards have been widely adopted by the television industry, hardware manufacturers, and postproduction facilities, and are used throughout the process from origination to transmission.

http://www.i3a.org/virtual/v1_1.html#11

quote:
Ken Parulski is a Research Fellow in the Digital & Film Imaging Systems division of Eastman Kodak Company. He has been involved in digital imaging research and product development for 25 years. He received B.S. and M.S. degrees in Electrical Engineering from MIT in 1980, and then joined the physics division of Kodak Research Labs. Parulski led the research group that developed the first color megapixel CCD prototype digital camera in the 1980s. He was a key inventor of the Kodak PhotoCD system, and chief architect of Kodak's first consumer digital cameras in the 1990s.

Parulski is a fellow of the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers. From 1986 through 1994, he was a technical liaison to the Advanced Television Research Program at MIT. He was instrumental in developing the SMPTE 24 P scanning standards, for which Kodak received a technical Emmy award. Parulski has authored two book chapters and more than 50 papers, and has been granted more than 80 U.S. patents. In 2001, Parulski received the Eastman Award, Kodak's highest technical honor, for his contributions to the development of digital cameras. He received the PMDA Technical Achievement award at PMA 2002 for his “pioneering work in the development of digital imaging technology”.

Parulski has been an expert in IT10 and ISO TC42/WG18 since they were formed in 1992. He has served as Chair of IT10 since 1994. Parulski is currently the project leader for ISO 12232, ISO 12233 and I3A 7000, and co-project leader for the ISO 12234 series of standards.

Jennifer Pan
THE JEN!

- posted 06-16-2005 12:21 AM      Profile for Jennifer Pan   Author's Homepage   Email Jennifer Pan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Official Benefit Show thank you...

We thank YOU:

We would like to thank ASU and ASU’s Kerr Cultural Center and their entire staff for donating the facility along with so much time and effort. 42 Saint at the Kierland Commons, The Herberger Theater and Best Buy (across from Fiesta Mall) for their raffle donations. Scott Brady and Chris Salinas for helping Nick during the accident. Carl's Jr. whom surprised us and delivered great tasting $6 Burgers to the bands and Kerr staff. KTVK Channel 3, KPNX Channel 12, The Arizona Republic, The East Valley Tribune and The New Times for providing extremely important media coverage. The Edge 103.9 and The Zone 101.5 for posting information about the show on their Website.

Jennifer Pan, The Funky Munks, Stick Figures and Minibosses whom donated their time and talent. Those of you that came out to the show or donated to help Nick raise over $1,300 . Finally and most importantly, we would like to thank Nick and his family for being so strong. Thank you for supporting Nick! Please visit www.nickruppert.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: