Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Solving The Mystery Of The Sarku Toothpicks

Author Topic: Solving The Mystery Of The Sarku Toothpicks
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-26-2005 01:19 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whenever my friends and I go to the Sarku's japanese place in our local mall, we're always amazed at how the order taker is able to convey the order to the chef just by sticking different combinations of colored toothpicks in the styrofoam plates.

For example, I usually order chicken teriyaki with white rice, and no vegetables. For me, the plate is face up (white rice) with one plain toothpick (no vegetables).

I've seen various combinations of toothpicks including one red one, and one plain one, and then the plain one is broken in half. I have no clue what that meant.

I don't know why we're all fascinated by this phenomenon, but we are. So here's my question... What do you order at Sarku's, and what is your toothpick combination? Maybe we can figure this out. It will be interesting to see if they have the same "language" on the west coast that they do on the east coast.

Again, here's mine:

Chicken Teriyaki, White Rice, No Vegetables = Plate face up, one plain toothpick.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-26-2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of Sarku out here, but we do have a new teppan-style stand in the Meadows Mall called Sansei, which has replaced the long-standing Edo. Sansei also uses colored toothpicks as a code for the cooks. I'll be working my way through their menu over the next few weeks so we'll see how this goes.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 05-29-2005 09:38 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So far...

Beef teri with vegies and rice = red w/plate up

Shrimp teri with vegies and rice = blue w/plate up

Beef & shrimp teri with vegies and rice = red & yellow w/plate up

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-29-2005 10:08 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Sarku here in Eugene at the Valley River Mall. I've eaten there many times. The "presentation" of their food isn't fancy - the cooks basically just scoop it off the grill and dump it over the rice or noodles in a big glob. But it's freshly cooked, tasty, filling, and not expensive.

I've never paid close attention to their toothpick system, but they definitely do what you're talking about: Depending on what the customer orders, the styrofoam plate gets colored toothpicks, sometimes bent in the middle.

Another interesting Sarku factoid: They ALWAYS have someone standing in front handing out free samples of teriyaki chicken. It doesn't matter what time of day, or what day of week: There is ALWAYS someone handing out samples. And there's almost always a line of customers. They seem to do great business.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-30-2005 11:21 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Mayer
Beef ... = red

Shrimp ... = blue

Beef & shrimp ... = red & yellow

[Confused]

Fascinating.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: