Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Thurl Ravenscroft - Voice of "Tony the Tiger" - Dies at 91

Author Topic: Thurl Ravenscroft - Voice of "Tony the Tiger" - Dies at 91
Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-24-2005 11:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Washington Post.com

quote:
Man Who Was Voice of Tony the Tiger Dies

The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 24, 2005; 11:37 PM

FULLERTON, Calif. -- Thurl Ravenscroft, who provided the rumbling "They're Grrrrreeeat!" for Tony the Tiger in countless Kellogg's ads and voiced a host of Disney characters, has died. He was 91. Ravenscroft was born in Norfork, Neb.

He died Sunday of prostate cancer, said Diane Challis Davy, director of Laguna Beach's Pageant of the Masters.

Thurl Ravenscroft, the voice of Kellogg's Tony the Tiger, is shown in this undated photo with the cereal cartoon character. Ravenscroft, who provided the rumbling "They're Grrrrreeeat!" for Kellogg's Tony the Tiger ads and voiced a host of Disney characters, died Sunday, May 22, 2005. He was 91. (AP Photo/The Enquirer) (AP)

For more than 50 years, Ravenscroft was the affable voice behind Tony the Tiger, TV's popular cartoon pitchman for Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.

He also narrated the summertime Pageant of the Masters at Laguna Beach for 20 years and lent his voice to characters on thrill rides at Disneyland, including the Pirates of the Caribbean, Splash Mountain, the Enchanted Tiki Room and the Haunted Mansion.

Ravenscroft also did voices for the animated films "Cinderella," "The Jungle Book," "Mary Poppins," "Alice in Wonderland," "Lady and the Tramp" and many others.

Ravenscroft left Nebraska for California in 1933 to study art. By the mid-1930s he was appearing regularly on radio and by the late-1930s he was singing backup for Bing Crosby.

After military service during World War II, he returned to Hollywood, where he sang with the Mellomen, a group that performed with Frank Sinatra, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Elvis Presley.

The article doesn't mention it but Thurl was also known for singing the song, "You're a Mean One, Mister Grinch!"

Audio with soundbites at: NPR.org

In 1952, Ravenscroft's voice appeared in the first Frosted Flakes commercial. [/i]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2005 07:14 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always a big Thurl fan. He had one of the most solid and steady bass voices around. You can hear his voice pop up in many unexpected places, whether as part of a chorus or a solo.

One of the best places to find him is in SOUTH PACIFIC, during "Nothing Like A Dame". That bass solo is Thurl.

I've heard that he was not only a great musician but also a very nice person.

Ron Yost
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2005 11:22 AM      Profile for Ron Yost   Email Ron Yost   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful voice talent! Lots of him in The Haunted Mansion soundtrack at Disneyland/world, too. He's also one of the three projected singing ghost busts in the graveyard. (I assume they're still there .. haven't been there in many years).

R.I.P. Mr. Ravenscroft .. and thank you. [Smile] [thumbsup]

Ron Yost

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-26-2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ravenscroft was also heard in numerous NSS animated-song concession trailers.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-30-2005 04:03 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what a sad day [Frown]

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-30-2005 10:34 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. I'll ride the Haunted Mansion a few extra times next time I'm at the park.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: