Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Bad Newspaper Ad (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bad Newspaper Ad
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-20-2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the May 19th ads from the two local Century theaters. They do not believe in advertising start times. Well at least not for all movies. Check out the scans below. They are not Photoshopped (other than combining the 2 ads into a single image)!

-

It is widely known that Century is pretty cheap in regards to what they pay their "projectionists", so maybe they don't want to list times because they know that the movies have little hope of starting on time! [Razz]

Also, notice how BOTH theaters are Denver's ONLY all THX theater. (Neither theater is in Denver)

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-21-2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ehh, looks like a newspaper typesetter error.

At least the logo designer knows how to spell "Theatre." [Big Grin]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 12:52 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
who looks in the newspaper for showtimes anymore?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-21-2005 02:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the newspaper only screw up the Century ads (which were on two different pages)?

If people didn't look in the newspaper, there wouldn't be newspaper ads. Can we please get back to poking fun of Century's incompetance? Notice they spell it "Century Theatres" but then they say they are the only THX theater. Pick a spelling.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-21-2005 03:05 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you see the strategy, Joe? They're providing the showtimes only for the crappy movies that are tough to sell. For good movies, most people will wait in vain out there in the parking lot for, I don't know, maybe 7 hours until the show begins.

The ads do suck ass because there's no DTS logos, and especially no Paramount style 70mm logos. Gotta have a cool 70mm logo for a directory ad or stack ad to be worth a damn.

Hey Joe (where you goin' with that gun in your hand --oh wait, sorry, wrong guitar oriented tangent)...are either of those "theatres" any good, even with the "all-THX" bragging rights? I'm going to be up in that part of the country sometime this summer. There's gotta be some decent theatres somewhere from Colorado Springs to Denver.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 03:37 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it says one of them is "e. denver's only" and the other is "w. denver's only" so there's not a contradiction. tomorrow i will probably visit a century for the first time so i will see how bad their projection sucks.

carl

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 04:40 AM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UA Denver West has at least 2 auds that were THX at one time. UA continental has 3.

I think the AMC theatres on the flanks might have some THX auds in them as well.

the one in aurora isnt all that nice. the one in lakewood was built right after I left. everyone tells me the lobby looks really nice, but the auds weren't anything special.

Colorado Mills is still my favorite (but I am biased).

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 01:48 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nowadays, the showtimes are uploaded to the newspapers via a computer program. Probably was some sort of error due to the problem. I always have my newspapers FAX me a proof BEFORE the ad runs to prevent this sort of thing. The blame is most likely placed with the media collection service that publishes the times to the newspaper.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-21-2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason, I opened both Denver West and the Continental projection booths. Continental only had 2 THX rooms. I got some decent before and after pics of the Denver West, so check out the PICTURES section of the site.

Bobby, I've never seen a movie at a Century, but my dad complained to me how messy the Aurora one was. The Lakewood one looks like an apartment building.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-21-2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like they only had so much space to work with and didn't want to exceed their budget.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2005 09:41 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought #1, #5 and #6 were all THX at Continental? maybe I am wrong on #1.

I didnt know you were ever at DW. I knew you were at Greenwood and Continental.

Have you seen the DLP version of Star Wars at UA Pavilions?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-22-2005 01:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 and #6 were the THX ones at the Continental. They wanted to do #5 (da big house) but THX wouldn't certify it because it didn't meet the criteria. I've never seen the UA Pavilions DLP in action. I've only been there once to change a xenon bulb for manager Tim Campbell (I was working for Mann at the time). It was a bloody maze.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2005 09:03 AM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, when I lived in Vegas - Century did this all the time. I believe it actually has to do with Newspaper deadlines more than the fact that they are cheap (cause we know they are).

Many times in the weekly papers (ones that only come out once a week) Century would want to get an ad in - but they didn't have their showtimes availible for the new films - so they would simply put the title of the new films (knowing that they would be running shows every hour on the hour).

[ 05-24-2005, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Benjamin ]

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-22-2005 10:30 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Aurora Century is fair as far as theatres go, but nothing special, no knock your socks off presentation or anything.

If you want to see that, just visit Brad Miller, wherever the hell he is at, and then you get knock your socks off presentation.

And to a smaller extent, maybe joe redifer.

Ciao

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Century has a problem sometimes getting their showtimes uploaded on Fandango too, especially mid-week showtimes (which you would think would be a no brainer). Even their little 'My Century' newsletter is often missing showtimes.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: