Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » "Episode III" D-Cinema Showings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Episode III" D-Cinema Showings
Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bevan Wright (4/27)
quote:
Sounds like it is time for THE POLL..... how many D-cinema screens of SWIII?
John Pytlak (5/5)
quote:
I'm going to guess 110 Digital Cinema sites on opening day worldwide.
Anyone seen a list of the D-Cinema venues for "Revenge Of The Sith"? I haven't, so I've attempted to compile one. I'm sure the info will change through the course of this week as more engagements are arranged and new equipment is installed. But maybe not; maybe this is it. (In fact, I haven't heard much from Lucasfilm about this, which makes me wonder if they're being quiet as a result of some disappointment in not getting more digital theatres for the release.)

At any rate, here is a/the list. Discuss here if you have any corrections, additions, deletions, comments, etc.

From: www.fromscripttodvd.com/revenge_sith_d_engagements.htm

quote:
The latest chapter of the "Star Wars" saga, "Revenge Of The Sith," is TENTATIVELY scheduled to screen at the following theatres in a Digital Cinema presentation. Please confirm presentation type with the theatre projection staff and/or management. This list is a work-in-progress and will likely not be completed until the week of the movie's release. We encourage readers to check back periodically since the list will be updated as new information becomes available.

UNITED STATES (Opens May 19)

ALABAMA
Hoover: [Rave] Patton Creek 15

ARIZONA
Peoria: [Harkins] Arrowhead Cinemas 18

ARKANSAS
Rogers: [Malco] Towne Cinema 12

CALIFORNIA
Carlsbad: [UltraStar] La Costa 6
Chula Vista: [UltraStar] Chula Vista 10
Daly City: [Century] Century 20
El Centro: [UltraStar] Imperial Valley 14
Emeryville: [AMC] Bay Street 16
Glendale: [Mann] Glendale Marketplace 4
Irvine: [Edwards] Irvine Spectrum 21
Los Angeles (Baldwin Hills): [Loews/Magic Johnson] Magic Theatres at Crenshaw Plaza
Los Angeles (Hollywood): [Pacific] ArcLight Hollywood
Los Angeles (Hollywood): [Pacific] The Grove Stadium 14
Los Angeles (Sherman Oaks): [Pacific] Galleria Stadium 16
Los Angeles (Universal City): [Loews Cineplex] Universal Studios
Los Angeles (Westwood Village): [Mann] Village
Poway: [UltraStar] Poway Creekside Plaza 10
San Diego (Del Mar): [UltraStar] Del Mar Highlands 8
San Diego (Mira Mesa): [Edwards] Mira Mesa Stadium 18
San Diego (Mission Valley): [AMC] Mission Valley 20
San Francisco: [Loews] Metreon
San Jose: [Century] Century 22
Santa Monica: [AMC] Santa Monica 7

COLORADO
Denver: [UA] Denver Pavillions Stadium 15

CONECTICUT
Hartford: [Crown] Palace 17
Trumbull: [Crown] Marquis 16

FLORIDA
Lake Buena Vista: [AMC] Pleasure Island 24
Melbourne: [Cinema World] Cinema World 16
Pinellas Park: [R-C] Movies 16 at Parkside Mall

ILLINOIS
Chicago: [AMC] River East 21
Elk Grove: [Classic] Elk Grove
Schaumburg: [Loews Cineplex] Woodfield
Skokie: [Crown] Village Crossing 18

KANSAS
Wichita: [Dickinson] Northrock 14

MARYLAND
Annapolis: [Crown] Annapolis Mall

MASSACHUSETTS
Boston: [Loews] Boston Common
Randolph: [National Amusements] Showcase Randolph 16

MICHIGAN
Birch Run: [?] Cinema Hollywood
Novi: [Emagine] Novi 18
Southfield: [Star] Southfield 20

MINNESOTA
Eden Prairie: [AMC] Eden Prairie Mall 18

NEVADA
Las Vegas: [Century] Century 16 Santa Fe Station
Las Vegas: [Century] Orleans 18

NEW JERSEY
Elizabeth: [Loews] Jersey Gardens

NEW YORK
New York (Manhattan): [AMC] Empire 25
New York (Manhattan): [Clearview] Ziegfeld

OHIO
Springdale: [National Amusements] Springdale 18 Cinema de Lux
Valley View: [Cinemark] Cinemark at Valley View

SOUTH CAROLINA
Greenville: [Greenville] Camelot

TENNESSEE
Memphis: [Malco] Cordova
Memphis: [Malco] Paradiso

TEXAS
Austin: [Galaxy] Highland 10
Plano: [Cinemark] Cinemark at Legacy

VIRGINIA
Merrifield: [National Amusements] Lee Highway Multiplex

WASHINGTON
Monroe: [Galaxy] Galaxy 12

For Canada and Europe, click the link provided at the top of post.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the 5/15 NY Times, the film is also playing in "Digital Projection -- Experience Star Wars the Way It Was Meant To Be Seen" at the Loews Lincoln Square, Loews 34th Street, Loews Kips Bay and Regal Union Square.

Seems to me that the number of Digital locations corresponds very closely to what we would have expected in ancient times for a large 70mm release. Even that "Digital Projection" logo in the times looks a lot like some of the old 70mm logos.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-15-2005 04:20 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wahhl, I think, if they're not going to play such an important picture in DC, they shouldn't be allowed to play it at all!
[Razz]

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-15-2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can definitely vouch for the Irvine Spectrum. It's uploaded and ready to go. Screened it last night. Very pixelated.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 06:38 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brian Michael Weidemann
Very pixelated
What size screen, and how close were you sitting?

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-15-2005 06:47 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the exact specs. It's not a really large auditorium. Maybe a 40' to 45' wide screen, and I was in the middle of the auditorium. I need a new glasses prescription, but even so, there was noticeable aliasing. And a few places had that screendoor effect. Like stairs, or some kind of mesh pattern that would flutter as it moved across slowly, or rotated. These movies have these nice, long, slow, rolling perspective flyby shots. Nice and smooth movement, but the edges of things could be crisper.

Others noticed the pixelation, too; it seemed to be worse than Hitchhiker's, which wasn't so bad. Nothing that customers would complain about, I don't think. I'm looking forward to seeing the 35mm in our larger auditoriums, though.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-15-2005 07:06 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be interesting to see some kind of a breakdown between theaters using the old 1280 X 1024 small computer screen resolution DLP versus those using the newer 2K 1920 X 1080 HDTV resolution chips.

It's been awhile since I've scanned the ads in the LA and NY Times. That would be about right for the D-Cinema folks to attempt to plagerize those wide sweeping 70mm logos from the 1980s ads. Guys, D-Cinema sure isn't 70mm. Far from it. It's more like really expensive HDTV.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-15-2005 11:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why all you ninnies are afraid to review the movie in the review forum if you've already seen it. Are you afraid that George's giant neck will swallow you whole or something?

Bobby, D-cinema is BETTER than 70mm because D-Cinema is digital.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-16-2005 03:07 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe: They must have loved it, or they'd all be over there dumping on it.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-16-2005 03:16 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...it looks like after Loews and AMC, we are the chain with the third most sites. Does that mean we are really modern and cool and all that?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-16-2005 04:43 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not if you still work there.

[Smile]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 07:06 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the logo included in the SITH ad 5/15/05 in the New York Times (National Edition).

-

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2005 12:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the lamest "logo" I have ever seen. They should've put their text above an actual logo, rather than implementing it into the logo. Also some sort of semi-interesting font would have been in order...and lose the stars.

Where's Bobby?

Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 05-16-2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Forget Bobby!! He cant compete with these logo skills!!

-

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-16-2005 03:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Rochester NY, the Cinemark Tinseltown USA is advertising it on one digital screen (new installation [Smile] [Cool] [thumbsup] ) and at least four film screens.

http://www.cinemark.com/theater_showtimes.asp?theater_id=202

http://www.cinemark.com/printer_friendly.asp?theater_id=202&show_date=5/19/2005

quote:
STAR WARS: EP.III-REVENGE OF THE SITH
New Movie
( PG13:Sci-fi violence & some intense images, 148 min.)
Now showing on 4 screens.

10:30AM 11:00AM 12:00PM 12:15PM
1:45PM 2:15PM 3:15PM 3:30PM
5:00PM 5:30PM 7:00PM 7:15PM
8:15PM 8:45PM 10:15PM 10:30PM
11:30PM 12:01AM

STAR WARS: EP.III-REVENGE OF THE SITH - DLP
New Movie
( PG13:Sci-fi violence & some intense images, 148 min.)

10:45am 2:00pm 5:15pm 8:30pm
11:45pm

(I'll explain the [thumbsup] later, but I've heard that it's a 2K system) [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: