Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Anyone ever have acupuncture?

Author Topic: Anyone ever have acupuncture?
Allison Parsons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2005 09:33 PM      Profile for Allison Parsons   Author's Homepage   Email Allison Parsons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did it work? Was it a waste of time? I'm having severe shoulder pain and I hate taking medication. I had a 'bulged disk' in my spine last year and went to a chiropractor and it helped. However, now I'm having really bad muscle tension in my right shoulder. So I'm thinking about looking into acupuncture. If you've had it, let me know if it worked for you.

|  IP: Logged

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2005 06:15 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allison.....
I've never had it but I can tell you our 17 year old poodle is having it every week now and it seems to be helping. He has a couple of bad disk and suffers from acute back pain. I think it's worth trying. [thumbsup]

Don

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2005 09:48 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend had back trouble so bad that he couldn't work WITHOUT having accupuncture. Its a proven therapy, thousands of years old, that seems to work.

Mark

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 05-14-2005 11:26 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the late 90's I had shoulder surgery on both sides to repair torn rotator cuffs (that came from 40 years of skiing, flying over handlebars, 1.7 million jump shots, etc.). Other than painkilling drugs (which produce other problems) the only real relief I got was from acupuncture. Didn't solve the problem that could only be solved by surgery, but acupuncture made a huge difference in my pain level.

And yes, I go to a chiropractor occasionally for back and muscle issues. I have a traditional MD who often suggests going homeopathic and alternative medicine routes when he thinks they will help. More MD's should be doing this because as Mark points out, some of these treatments have been with us as long as recorded history. I wouldn't trust an MD with a closed mind toward traditional treatment methods..... but hold the leeches!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-15-2005 10:15 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friends father who had considerable pain after a stroke got no relief from pain killers of any kind. Accupuncture gave him the only relief he had for about 10 years.

Jon Morgan
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 01:21 PM      Profile for Jon Morgan   Email Jon Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my assistants threw her back out, didn't have insurance, and decided to try accupuncture because it was what she could afford. She absolutely swears by it now, and although I have my doubts, it's clearly worked for her.

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Acupuncture
quote:
Traditional Chinese medicine is not based on knowledge of modern physiology, biochemistry, nutrition, anatomy, or any of the known mechanisms of healing. Nor is it based on knowledge of cell chemistry, blood circulation, nerve function, or the existence of hormones or other biochemical substances. There is no correlation between the meridians used in traditional Chinese medicine and the actual layout of the organs and nerves in the human body. The National Council Against Health Fraud (NCAHF) claims that of the 46 medical journals published by the Chinese Medical Association, not one is devoted to acupuncture or other traditional Chinese medical practices. Nevertheless, it is estimated that somewhere between 10 and 15 million Americans spend approximately $500 million a year on acupuncture for treatment of AIDS, allergies, asthma, arthritis, bladder and kidney problems, bronchitis, constipation, depression, diarrhea, dizziness, colds, fatigue, flu, gynecologic disorders, headaches, high blood pressure, migraines, paralysis, PMS, sciatica, sexual dysfunction, smoking, stress, stroke, tendinitis, and vision problems.
Quackwatch on Acupuncture
Acupuncture Watch
Acupuncture, Magic, and Make-Believe

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 02:02 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's an article in Vol. 293 No. 17, May 4, 2005 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association detailing a study of the use of acupuncture for treatment of migraines: they found that acupuncture treatments were no more effective than "sham acupuncture" treatments, i.e., just sticking the needles any old where:

quote:
Conclusion Acupuncture was no more effective than sham acupuncture in reducing migraine headaches although both interventions were more effective than a waiting list control.
Although subjects in both the acupuncture & sham acupuncture groups reported more improvement than folks who just had nothing done to them.

An abstract is online here

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-17-2005 03:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sticking the needles any old where probably does wonders... for the person who sticks the needles! [evil]

I understand that the 'placebo effect' can be very powerful. It's a standard technique when testing new drugs - some patients get the drug, while others receive what looks and/or feels like the same pill or injection, but it contains no active ingredient. The effectiveness of the drug is measured by how much better the patients do who receive the actual drug relative to those who received the placebo. But these reports rarely mention that even those who got the placebo generally do a hell of a lot better than those who got no treatment at all. Conclusion - if you can think that some expert has tried to cure you, whatever way, your mind can achieve a lot on its own. It wants it to happen.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 05-18-2005 11:47 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a very modern version of acupuncture called a spinal block. It was done to attempt to install a morphine pump in my spine at a specific location to try and alleviate chronic non cancer pain resulting from RSD.

The result was a slight error by the surgeon that resulted in him nearly severing part of my spinal cord, and leaving me now with permanent lower back pain that will never go away.

So anyone comes near me with needles and I will not be the one getting puncured.

Ciao

Dylan Marchetti
Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2005 02:30 PM      Profile for Dylan Marchetti   Author's Homepage   Email Dylan Marchetti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had great success with acupuncture in the past, treating things both physical and psychological.

I'm sure some of it is a "placebo effect", but if people were to shift to acupuncture, the medical industry would lose billions in surgery and drugs, so I'm not sure I'd take an A.M.A. study on it any more seriously than a McDonalds study on how fat Taco Bell will make you.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: