Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Soderbergh to debut movies in theatres, DVD and satellite simultaneously

Author Topic: Soderbergh to debut movies in theatres, DVD and satellite simultaneously
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2005 01:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2929 Signs Soderbergh for Six-Pack

Fri Apr 29, 2:23 AM ET

In a move that provides significant momentum to Mark Cuban and Todd Wagner's efforts to collapse traditional film-distribution windows, their 2929 Entertainment company has signed a six-picture directing deal with maverick director Steven Soderbergh.

Announced Thursday, the deal through 2929's HDNet production company will see Soderbergh's films released simultaneously in theaters, on TV and in home video, on the theory that collapsing the traditionally staggered windows gives consumers a choice regarding how and when they want to see a film.

Soderbergh will have creative control over all the films' content, with each one produced in 1080i high-definition format. The first project, "Bubble," centering on a murder mystery in a small town in Ohio, is in production on a three-week schedule with Soderbergh writing and directing. The casting director trawled area malls and beauty shops to find local residents to audition for the nonprofessional cast.

HDNet Films is financing all the projects, with "Bubble's" budget between $2 million and $3 million. Wagner said this figure might increase for the yet-to-be-announced projects, depending on what Soderbergh pitches.

"I'm excited to work with Todd and Mark and appreciate the freedom to create independent films under this new distribution model," Soderbergh said in a statement. "All of us see consumer choice driving the future of the movie industry, and this is a giant leap in that direction." Soderbergh has long been a fan of digital filmmaking. His digital projects include Miramax's "Full Frontal" and the HBO series "K Street" and "Unscripted."

ADVERTISEMENT

The day-and-date strategy will be executed via 2929's Magnolia Pictures label, with theatrical distribution initially taking place at the company's Landmark Theatre chain and TV distribution through the company's high-definition cable channel, HDNet Movies. It's unclear whether the theatrical distribution will expand beyond 2929's properties, as the strategy of collapsing windows is seen as a threat by many in the industry.

But with Soderbergh's recent producing projects "Criminal" and "The Jacket" both performing dismally at the boxoffice via Warner Independent Pictures, 2929's strategy might provide an attractive alternative for Soderbergh's smaller projects. (2929 also produced "Goodnight, and Good Luck," the story of broadcast journalist Edward R. Murrow, directed by George Clooney, Soderbergh's production partner in his company Section 8.)

"I think the distribution strategy was part of why (Soderbergh) did it," Wagner said. "Some of the things he did before didn't get the theatrical attention he would have liked. With us, we can make sure they get theatrical distribution in addition to television and home video. We can get it out there and test this model."

Another goal of this strategy, which Wagner hopes will lead to quarterly theatrical releases, is to add subscribers to his burgeoning HDNet network. "We want the HDNet subscribers to be happy," Wagner said. "We need to make it worthwhile for them to be on the system. With a director of this caliber they will know that this is something we are serious about."

Wagner also hopes that Soderbergh is not the only director to sign on. "This is just the beginning. This deal doesn't prevent other directors or actors from trying to do something different. But we're off to a good start with Steven leading the charge."

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/va/20050429/111476661900.html

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-02-2005 03:26 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea is interesting ... but I predict it will fail. First, it will fail because studios don't want product released on all formats all at once. Keeping product 'not easily accessible' is one thing that makes people want to see it. Second, what kind of budget is $3 mill per picture? That's not even a B film's budget, even if it is increased by 5 times.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 03:59 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John that number for the budget is actually high...you show me how many independent film makers are getting 2-3 million to shoot there film...not many if none at all. Clerks was shot for I believe $58,000 I think I'm off by a couple thousand one way or another on that but, you get my point. Its an independent budget, no big studio backing.

Kyle McEachern
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Kyle McEachern         Edit/Delete Post 
$28,000, for the record there, on Clerks. However, as people tend to say, "Clerks isn't a real movie". Not exactly the truth of course, but it's a single handheld camera, a group of friends, after hours at the place they worked. Not quite the Steven Soderbergh approach to filmmaking.

For a bit more background, Mallrats cost $3 million, Chasing Amy $250,000 (The Weinsteins wanted a different cast if they were going to give him the $6 million he asked for, so to keep the cast he wanted, they gave him $250k), Dogma $10 million, and Jay & Silent Bob was $20 million.

(Numbers off the top of my head, I think they're accurate though...I'll have to go watch my An Evening With Kevin Smith DVD again soon)

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just using Clerks as an example and thanks for the actual cost Kyle. I knew it was 8 something. Smith is not really an independent film-maker anymore...but he still has his indy roots.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 05:31 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Soderbergh's films released simultaneously in theaters, on TV and in home video
This is the issue. I read about this in the paper and rushed to Film-Tech to start or read the hugh and cry, the uproar, the indignation. But instead, I find a discussion about the cost of independent film.

If is available on your television, no-one (with the possible exception of myself, who has no TV) will pay to see it in a movie theatre. I know that cinemas will evolve with the time and adapt to changing market conditions or die. But to simultaneously release a film on all formats undercuts the cinema in a way that is extremely distasteful to me. Short release windows have already eliminated the sub run market. Japanese Anime films have such a short release window that secondary markets cannot secure prints before the video release. Secondary markets for other Art films are also suffering with video release windows down around the 4-month mark.

If this trend continues, as I think it will, all that will be left of the cinema is First Run megaplex where the studios release all of their films digitally, program the show times so the public can see the film every 20-minutes for a week before the video release and museums where film is presented reverently like queuing up to see a Van Gaugh exhibit.

The good news is that there will always be a small select market for film, just like you can download the pop song, but if you are an enthusiast you can go see the artist in concert. Maybe it will bring back the roadshow. The other good news is that Soderbergh has never sold that many tickets.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think it'll flop too. The real big hue & cry will come from other theatre chains, all of which will refuse to run something that's day&date with video.

I'm still waiting for some enterprising director to use my idea for improving theatrical grosses: Footage that's exclusive to theatres. Just think -- EXPANDED ENDING that you WON'T SEE ON THE DVD! It would increase theatre traffic and people who loved the movie and/or missed it in theatres will still buy it on DVD anyway.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-02-2005 11:00 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going out on a limb here. I think this kind of day and date release strategy will fail because it will lack the legitimacy of an exclusive theatrical run. The product will have an unavoidable straight-to-video or made-for-TV stink to it. I especially have to say that if Soderbergh's projects are going to be videotaped in 1080i. They really are made for TV. Why do I need to pay $7 to $12 for an admission ticket (along with a few bucks more at the concession stand) when I can just watch it on cable for much less?

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2005 09:28 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The better question is why did Cuban make such a big deal about 4k digital cinema when he signed the deal with sony and now is paying somebody to shoot 2k material for his theatres.

I really don't understand what the business case is for this. It's not like simultaneuous video, PPV and theatrical in which case you'd have to pay either way. The way I read this, if you have HDNET Movies (which I do) you get to watch for free. I don't know how much HDNET Movies gets per subscriber but my whole HD package from directv is only $10 per month.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 05-04-2005 01:32 AM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
Why do I need to pay $7 to $12 for an admission ticket (along with a few bucks more at the concession stand) when I can just watch it on cable for much less?
And this is just why the "results" from this experiment are going to be skewed. If a family goes out to the movies and says "Hey, what do we want to see?", they will not pick something they can go home and TiVo. Consumer choice driving the movie industry in this way will eliminate the industry. By removing any motivation to see a theatrical release, where most of the grosses are made (isn't it that opening weekend that pretty much covers whether or not a film is "successful" after all?), by giving it away for free, with commercials, on television, the only money to be made by film companies is from advertising companies.

Big budget movies may become fewer and fewer. Although, this might not be such a bad thing.

However, the theatre business will be losing its consumers of popcorn. [Eek!]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-22-2005 07:51 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reuters/hollywood reporter
LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - If billionaire Mark Cuban has his way, theatrical distribution may never be the same.

2929 Entertainment, the company the Dallas Mavericks owner founded with partner Todd Wagner, is determined to collapse the traditional distribution windows by simultaneously releasing films across theatrical, home video and cable. But even though the experiment has barely begun, it already is running into steely opposition from theater owners across the country.

While 2929 announced late last month that it plans to produce and then release six Steven Soderbergh films on the three platforms simultaneously, exhibitors already are saying they will refuse to play the director's new fare.

As an owner of two of those three distribution outlets -- it controls Landmark Theatres and the high-definition cable channel HDNet Movies -- 2929 has the ability to fulfill its agenda on a limited basis. But if the company aspires to distribute Soderbergh's product beyond Landmark's 209 screens, it faces a formidable roadblock in that many commercial theaters have refused to play product that is released in other formats at the same time as it is offered to theaters.

"Our policy will continue to be that we don't exhibit films that are already in the market on DVD or pay-per-view," said Mike Campbell, president and CEO of Regal Entertainment Group, the largest U.S. theater chain. "We believe the plan is ill-conceived and won't receive much support from the traditional exhibition or distribution community."

Said Tony Karasotes, chairman and CEO of Chicago-based Karasotes Showplace Theatres: "I just think it's a wrong-headed approach. The way to properly distribute film is to use the traditional sequential pattern set up by the studios. (2929's plan) is ass-backwards, and I don't want to encourage that kind of approach because I own motion picture theaters."

AMC Theatres, Loews Cineplex, Cinemark USA, Pacific Theatres, National Amusements and Wisconsin-based Marcus Theatres, among others, all have declined to play films with simultaneous release in the home market.

"We just have to show them results," Cuban said. "By pricing the DVDs at a premium for day-and-date delivery, I think we help create a better value for in-theater viewing. By leveraging day-and-date, we can spend more on P&A (prints and advertising), which should also help."

Soderbergh's first announced project is "Bubble," a murder mystery set in a small Ohio town and cast with nonactors. If the six films Soderbergh creates for 2929 all resemble that model, they might well receive little distribution beyond Landmark's art houses. At least on paper, "Bubble" sounds like an experiment in the vein of the director's R-rated 2002 release "Full Frontal." Even though that film had the benefit of such stars as Julia Roberts, David Duchovny and Blair Underwood, it grossed just $2.5 million after bowing on 209 screens.

"It's really a break for all of us that these films are being released by 2929 and not a Warner Bros., which has to make Soderbergh happy because they have the next 'Ocean's Eleven,"' said one exhibitor at a leading chain who asked not to be named.

Theater owners, of course, have a vested interest in the current distribution model; in many cases they have signed 20-year leases, taken in cash infusions from enthusiastic investors and turned their popcorn-selling, seat-filling operations into profitable businesses.

But even though 2929's proposal threatens to upend a system that guarantees theaters to be the exclusive venue for new film titles, the vision of the future also has a certain logic of its own.
The company first tried its hand at the model, albeit in a more limited fashion, last month with the release of the Magnolia Film documentary "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room." Produced by HDNet, 2929's low-budget film production arm, and distributed by Magnolia Pictures, the Alex Gibney-driected film opened in Landmark Theatres and had an exclusive day-and-date release on the HDNet channel on DirecTV. "Enron" has earned $2 million theatrically since its April 22 bow, a respectable gross for a limited-release documentary.

Cuban said HDNet subscriber additions won't be available until next month, but the executive said the response to "Enron" has been great. "From subs, from people who told us they just subscribed, and the continued box office success of the movie will only continue to benefit us," he said in an e-mail.

And while the film originally opened in three Landmark Theatres, it has since expanded to other circuits, including Los Angeles-based Laemmle Theatres.

"We felt that HDNet didn't have a significant market penetration," Laemmle Theatres president Greg Laemmle said. "It wasn't like going day-and-date with cable or DVD, and therefore we felt the box office wouldn't be negatively impacted."

While Laemmle was willing to experiment with a film simultaneously bowing with a day-and-date premiere on HDNet, he won't go down the path of exhibiting titles that also are available on home video.

"It's a whole different ball of wax," Laemmle said. "A lot of people have DVD players, and a lot of people who see art films have DVD players. I have no interest in encouraging that sort of thing. That said, if someone shows it can work, I don't own that decision, and we'll choose to re-evaluate as the situation demands."

Other theater chains might be forced to re-evalute the situation as well. At the Milken Institute's Global Conference in Beverly Hills last month, studio heads admitted that the cost of piracy is forcing them to rethink the time between a theatrical release and its home video availability. Barry Meyer, chairman and CEO of Warner Bros., predicted that in the future "your premiere will be in Wal-Mart."

While many studios are paying lip service to the exhibitors, agreeing with them on the dangers of collapsing traditional windows, some of them actually are looking forward to 2929's test of its strategy.

"It's going to be an interesting test," said one distributor who declined to be named. "On the issue of piracy, it would certainly help eliminate some of the concern about the amount of money we spend trying to protect against piracy. Marketing costs are another thing no one has been able to control. If we go video, theatrical and pay-per-view all at once with a well-known title, you could bring in $100 million in one night, similar to a (pay-per-view) fight."

One argument for 2929's approach is that it will reduce overall marketing costs, since all markets could be reached at once. However that scenario plays out, one marketing exec said that the challenge to bring consumers to the theater only will grow.

"The challenge will be to get these people to pony up the money to go to the theater when it's available everywhere else," said one studio marketing president who declined to be named. "We always hear from focus groups whether (they deem a movie) a rental or something they want to see in the theater. For most people it's a real financial decision, and there has to be a reason they need to see it in that environment. Releasing simultaneously on different platforms takes away a lot of that reason."

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2005 08:13 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There you go. Any exhibitor who takes the deal to play it day and date with other venues ought to have his head examined. If I were a theater owner (and I'm not), they would have to pay me to play it, and even then I might decline.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-22-2005 08:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Hollywood Reporter article:
...the Alex Gibney-driected film opened in Landmark Theatres and had an exclusive day-and-date release on the HDNet channel on DirecTV. "Enron" has earned $2 million theatrically since its April 22 bow, a respectable gross for a limited-release documentary.

I can pretty much guarantee nearly all of that $2 million theatrical gross claimed came from viewers who didn't know this documentary was available on video. The business is certain to have come from the "let's go see a movie but decide on what we'll see when we get to the multiplex" crowd. If all the viewers were told the movie was already available on DVD and cable very few would pay to see it on the big screen. Some might buy the DVD from a kiosk in the box office lobby.

A possible debate point could be, "but films are meant to be seen on a big screen." Sorry, but Cuban's movies are not "films" they're "videos" shot on videotape. All the more reason to watch the show at home on a video monitor -that is if the show is any good at all.

Some studio heads are looking at this collapse of release windows as a method to fight piracy. Hmm. That makes the same amount of sense as using cyanide as a treatment to kill cancer tumors.

The entire movie industry would diminish down to nothing without the staggered, exclusive release window system. A movie is not seen as being a real movie unless it has played in a commercial movie theater. Most people think of straight to video releases as shit-grade films starring has-been actors or really bad actors who should pursue another trade. There is just an inescapable "ick" that stinks up just about any show that is released direct to video.

The only things that work in direct to video are specific niche market formats.

Children's product, like lesser Disney animation shows, sell well in direct to video. But that's only because its too damned much of an ordeal for families with young kids to go to a theater.

Porn sells well in direct to video because most people are too damned embarrased to be seen in public entering a porn theater.

TV series box sets, music video compilations or concert DVDs and other speciality product can also do well.

However the feature film industry will ultimately fail by pursuing a direct to video model. Commercial theaters won't survive under such a model and that will take away the factor that makes real movies into real movies. Sales will falter. Then production budgets will shrink. Movie projects won't be able to afford high dollar production values. Then everything will really feel like it's made for TV. Eventually guys like Steven Spielberg and David Fincher will have to make deals with broadcasters like NBC just to get their shows made. And then that will be the end of it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: