Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Mason Adams, voice and television actor, dies at 86

Author Topic: Mason Adams, voice and television actor, dies at 86
Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-28-2005 03:03 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very familiar voice. I've been listening to him recently on Dimension X and other programs, on XM's Old-Time Radio. He was a classic himself.

Original Link

Actor Mason Adams of 'Lou Grant' is dead at 86

April 28, 2005, 4:51 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ Mason Adams, known for his Emmy-nominated role on the television series "Lou Grant" and as the voice behind the Smucker's jelly commercials, has died at his home in Manhattan. He was 86.

Adams died Tuesday of natural causes, said his daughter, Betsy.

His distinctive, often fatherly voice was first heard in 1940s and 1950s radio serials, including "Batman" and "Pepper Young's Family." But he did not achieve fame until being cast as Charlie Hume in "Lou Grant," a spin-off of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" that ran from 1977 to 1982.

Adams earned three Emmy nominations for his work on the series.

He had small roles in several films, including "F/X" (1986) and "Houseguest" (1995), and worked steadily on stage in his later years. His last theater role was in the Broadway revival of Arthur Miller's "The Man Who Had All the Luck" in 2002.

He was also famous for his work in television commercials for J.M. Smucker Co., voicing the tag-line "With a name like Smucker's, it has to be good."

Adams was born in Brooklyn and received his master's degree from the University of Wisconsin.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2005 11:04 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with Mason Adams back in my recording engineer days in the early to mid 70's. Very nice low-key guy who loved to work.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: