Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Who is you cell phone service provider? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Who is you cell phone service provider?
Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 04-25-2005 01:03 AM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dreaded day has arrived, I need a cellphone. Anybody have any recommendations? Any companies to avoid?

JJ

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 03:06 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been with Sprint PCS for 10 years now ... very few complaints.

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 04:07 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cingular here. Stay away from Verizon. They spam their own customers!

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 04:22 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Verizon... I agree with Wolff, stay away. My service is fine at home, and on most of the roads in/around Chicago & the 'burbs, but at work and at school, I get almost NO service whatsoever. The other problem is that Verizon generally makes you sign a two year agreement. In L.A. I had AT&T and Sprint. AT&T had much better service, but was more expensive.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 07:41 AM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Verizon Wireless, I've always been very happy with them. No service problems.

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 08:10 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been with Sprint PCS for almost 10 years now. Very few problems on my end. However I do have a co worker that had issue's with them over auto debiting thier bank account for services and resulted in his serivce being cut off without warning and him arguing over and over and over agin with them about who was to blame for the non-payment. It ultimately went to the BBB in Kansas City and they pinned all the F' up's on sprint and made them drop close $300.00 worth of late fee's and give him his last months of service at no cost.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-25-2005 09:19 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Up here in the north I use Telus and have been relatively happy except when I am in Buffalo it seems that Verizon service takes precedence and I can't get any incoming calls and outgoing need a credit card number even though I have US roaming covered in my agreement with Telus.

Christian Volpi
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Christian Volpi   Author's Homepage   Email Christian Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have Sprint and constantly had problems. They were always shutting off my service without notice because they give you a spending limit of only $125. My monthly bill was (with tax) $119 (I need a lot of minutes). That means that if you go over your minutes and suddenly your bill gets over $125 they shut off your service for going over the limit. I switched to Verizon and I have never had that problem plus I rarely go over my minutes now because I was able to get a plan with Verizon that had more minutes yet was cheaper than Sprint. I have zero complaints with Verizon. I always have perfect service and have never had a dropped call.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 10:10 AM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Nextel and I love it. I used t-mobile for 4 years (it was 2 companies before t-mobile) and at the end I hated it, nothing ever worked. I had cingular for 3 months before that, and you can tell why I only had it for 3 months, b/c It sucked where I live. Verizon, by far, has the largest network but my friends have problems and such. It all depends if you are traveling, who you need to call, what service you need.....

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 11:29 AM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Cingular now, I was with Sprint and had nothing but bad service with them.
When I was with Sprint I took my phone to the Sprint store because one of the buttons came of,They told me they don't fix phones, and that I would have to use the customer service phone in the store and tell them to send me a pre-paid box so I could mail my phone to Sprint. Well I get on the phone and told the guy about my phone and he told me to take it to the Sprint store and they will fix it. I told him thats were I'm at, He then asked to speak to the person at the counter the woman at the counter talked to the guy for about a min. every other word being four letter word, Then she hangs up the phone and says OK we will fix the FUCKING phone.
Well I go back the next day to pick it up and guess what, The button is still not fixed, The guy at the counter says that they don't fix phones but I could use the custom service phone.
I grabed my phone and left, Then later that day I went to use my phone and found that they wiped out my phone book. I called Sprint and they said that they get a lot of calls about that store.
Anyway I stoped useing Sprint that day went went with Cingular and have had no bad service every thing with them it great.
Roger

Sam Johnson II
Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 12:04 PM      Profile for Sam Johnson II   Email Sam Johnson II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Cellular One, simply because only them and Nextel even cover my county. Nextel was my first choice, but they wanted a $500 deposit! Keep in mind I have no credit, but I was told that they're the hardest on credit checks, so if you have no or bad credit, be prepared for a big deposit if you really want them.

I haven't really had any problems with Cellular One, though. They cover the entire area that I go through (from Somerset to Danville, KY), except a few dead spots in between. I don't remember how many minutes I have, but it's on the lower end because most of my calls are to my mom's cell phone (who is on my plan), and we have free mobile to mobile. All our other calls never even come close to running out of minutes.

I think the key though is to wait until a good package comes along, 'cause I think they're almost always constantly changing packages and deals and stuff. I have no long distance, free nights and weekends--you know, the normal stuff--but have to watch it if I go into roaming, as that costs a lot. But my grandpa got a cell phone from them a month or so before me, and doesn't have have to worry about roaming charges. Oh well.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-25-2005 12:16 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Formerly AT&T Wireless, now Cingular, been with them for about 6 years and have no complaints. Currently using a GSM-network phone. I don't need a lot of minutes or extra services, so it only runs me $30/mo. Me happy.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 04-25-2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
AT&T/Cingular for a few years now. AT&T didn't have good signal at work or home until they merged with Cingular, and now I've got pretty good reception in most places.

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 04-25-2005 01:47 PM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Formally AT&T now Cingular, had no problems with AT&T but since they merged with Cingular now I am having service problems, seems to be the opposite of most people.

Dean Kollet
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Dean Kollet   Email Dean Kollet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cellular One is still around? Wow, I remember my parents having them for work in like 1991, that's awesome.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: