Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Mystery of unpopped popcorn...SOLVED!!

Author Topic: The Mystery of unpopped popcorn...SOLVED!!
Jeremy Fuentes
Mmmm, Dr. Pepper!

- posted 04-22-2005 01:35 PM      Profile for Jeremy Fuentes   Email Jeremy Fuentes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From CNN:

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana (AP) -- Eat your way to the bottom of almost any bag of popcorn and there they are: the rock-hard, jaw-rattling unpopped kernels known as old maids.

The nuisance kernels have kept many a dentist busy, but their days could be numbered: Scientists say they now know why some popcorn kernels resist popping into puffy white globes.

It's long been known that popcorn kernels must have a precise moisture level in their starchy center -- about 15 percent -- to explode. But Purdue University researchers found the key to a kernel's explosive success lies in the composition of its hull.

Unpopped kernels, it turns out, have leaky hulls that prevent the moisture pressure buildup needed for them to pop and lack the optimal hull structure that allows most kernels to explode.

"They're sort of like little pressure vessels that explode when the pressure reaches a certain point," said Bruce Hamaker, a Purdue professor of food chemistry. "But if too much moisture escapes, it loses its ability to pop and just sits there."

The findings may help popcorn breeders select the best varieties -- or create new ones -- with superior hulls that yield few, if any, unpopped kernels. But for now, there's no way to screen out potential old maids before they end up in bags of popcorn.

Hamaker and his associates compared the microwave popping performance of 14 Indiana-grown popcorn varieties and examined the crystalline structure of the translucent hulls of both the popped kernels and the duds.

In the varieties popped, the percentage of unpopped kernels ranged from 4 percent in premium brands to 47 percent in the cheaper ones.

The findings could be good news for people who savor the snack and those who grow the 17 billion quarts of popcorn sold each year in the United States.

Wendy Boersema Rappel, a spokeswoman for the Chicago-based Popcorn Board, said popcorn processors are always looking for ways to improve their product, including reducing the number of old maids.

"It's one of life's annoyances -- it's not rocking anyone's world, but our members always like to improve their product," Rappel said.

Hamaker said two popcorn manufacturers have already expressed interest in Purdue's findings.

The research, funded by Purdue's Whistler Center for Carbohydrate Research, which Hamaker directs, has been published online and will appear in the July 11 edition of the journal BioMacromolecules.

|  IP: Logged

Jason M Miller
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 01:18 AM      Profile for Jason M Miller   Email Jason M Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thats good to know

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-23-2005 01:28 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...popcorn breeders...
[sex]

Now I know WHY the butter... it's for lube!

Well, that along with the old maids is enuff to make me change to nachos!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 01:43 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank God there aren't any real problems in the world for these college kids to be solving. [Roll Eyes]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 04-23-2005 02:50 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
"Hey! Teachers! Leave them kids alone!
All in all it's just another brick in the wall."

Pink Floyd: " Another Brick In The Wall "...

[ 04-23-2005, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: Phil Hill ]

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 04:07 PM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just in case anyone is wondering, the answer to your question is "because they've never been popped." [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have several people who come into the theatre occasionally and ask for a cup full of old maids from the drawer. So maybe it isn't such a "problem" after all. Maybe we should put'em on the menu.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, what do they do with them?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-23-2005 06:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eat 'em. I think they're crazy myself, but whatever floats your boat. This one guy will eat a whole 16oz cupful during a movie.

Jarryd Beard
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 07:13 PM      Profile for Jarryd Beard   Email Jarryd Beard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess so. I wouldn't think they'd be so great. At least they don't have to pay for them. [Razz]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-25-2005 04:12 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
.....and ask for a cup full of old maids from the drawer.
Probably reminds these old folks of "Beernuts".

If they got strong "chompers" to grind down those old maids, these old maids are actually pretty tasty having that rich burnt taste to them being partically cooked.

-Monte

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 04:16 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
We have several people who come into the theatre occasionally and ask for a cup full of old maids from the drawer.
The first time somebody asked me to fill the bottom inch or so of their popcorn bag with the old maids, I thought, "wow, they're buying our 'garbage'".

But hey! as long as they like it...

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 06:40 AM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the half-pops. The ones that are split down the middle and are crunchy. The ones that don't pop at all just break your teeth. I could do without them but please don't take away my half-pops! [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: