Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » Any Chess players?

Author Topic: Any Chess players?
Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 03:40 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I try to play a few games daily, but I get thrashed by experienced club players. I've never been able to progress beyond 1750 rating points. It gets too complicated for me when I play masters. Still, I enjoy the casual game against others at my same level.

Anyone else push a little wood?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 03:55 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kp - K3
KBp - B6
Q -R5 (CM)!

Burn the opponent every time...- Monte

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 04:00 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The notation there is a bit off. Are you referring to the "fool's mate" perhaps?

1. f3 e5
2. g4 Qh4 #

Its one of those things where the other player must allow you to pull it off, or its not going to happen.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 04:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True..haven't played the game for quite a long time, thus forgetting the actual board notations, and yes, when beginners playing black would open with that pawn move, yet knew that I was planning on controlling the board with the King's pawn move, I couldn't help but do that 3move checkmate.

They learned quick not to move that KB pawn when I've opened the board with that certain move.

Then later on, it was a definite "war" of the minds.

A theatre I used to work at I would play chess with the doormen when they would have a lunch hour. We had a crowd including the manager sometimes,as an audience in the breakroom and we would had some pretty interesting "battles.."

thx-monte

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 12:51 PM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cleveland Public Library has the John G. White Chess and Checkers Collection.
quote:
The John G. White Collection of Folklore, Orientalia, and Chess at the Cleveland Public Library is the largest and most comprehensive chess library in the world. The John G. White Collection of Chess and Checkers was officially established in 1928, when White bequeathed his world-famous library of chess and checkers to the Cleveland Public Library. In his will he stipulated that his chess library be kept together as part of the John G. White Collection of Folklore and Orientalia, established earlier in 1899 as a separate entity within the Cleveland Public Library.

Brian Michael Weidemann
Expert cat molester

- posted 04-22-2005 08:55 PM      Profile for Brian Michael Weidemann   Author's Homepage   Email Brian Michael Weidemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big chess buff, but I don't know the first thing about notation or "ratings points" or any of that "official" garbage. A few years ago it was several games a night for months at a time, kind of thing. That was a period of my life when I would wake up from dreams involving knight patterns.

I can't say I'm an astounding player, but I tend to get the better of my more seasoned opponents more than a fair number of times. Chess kicks ass!

[beer]

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-23-2005 04:26 PM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've played in a few tournaments, but I'm only rated around 1350. I run the middle school chess club where I teach.

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 01:02 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A Lot Of Chess Players Here

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 04:04 AM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, that's awesome that you teach chess. I only played in a tournament once back in 1999 and ended up in 4th place, losing to a fella I beat in the prelims. I haven't played an official game since then. I figure one of these days I'll travel back down to Dallas for another go sometime.

I have a lot of chess books, especially now that I render covers for a chess publisher in London. They send me a copy of each book I do a cover for.

Daniel Alt
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Daniel Alt   Email Daniel Alt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which publisher? Everyman has those nifty rendered covers, is that you?

Wolff King Morrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 03:49 PM      Profile for Wolff King Morrow   Author's Homepage   Email Wolff King Morrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I do Gambit books. Everyman must have found out and started rendering their own. Before I started doing that, most covers were just photographs of chess pieces.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: