Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Community   » Film-Yak   » The Interpretor... Sydney Pollack's first scope feature since Tootsie.

Author Topic: The Interpretor... Sydney Pollack's first scope feature since Tootsie.
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 12:59 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was once in an interview where he said he didn't shoot in scope anymore because he hated the Pan and Scan of the way they ended up on video and TV.

I guess DVD has changed his way of thinking?

Good news.

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 04-22-2005 11:32 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it real scope or Super35?

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2005 01:29 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's his first movie since Tootsie that manages to keep you awake. The guy is a better actor than director.

Jeremy Jorgenson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 04:12 AM      Profile for Jeremy Jorgenson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeremy Jorgenson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
because he hated the Pan and Scan of the way they ended up on video and TV.

I guess DVD has changed his way of thinking?

I seem to remember reading something about him removing his name from the airline edits of Three Days of the Condor because he disliked the P&S & the cuts.

as to the DVD q... Random Hearts was filmed about the time DVDs were just starting to explode and take over the home video market, so this being his first film since then, it's certainly concieviable... also 16:9 TV screens are more widely in use too (I was watching History of the World Part I the other night on an HD cable channel & it still got some Pan & Scan on the 16:9 screen & I would've prefered it to be letterboxed... but it certainly was better than "normal" P&S.)

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-25-2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: David Stambaugh
Is it real scope or Super35?
From the trailer, it looked like true anamorphic to me.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-27-2005 10:44 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, anamorphic.

quote: John Wilson
He was once in an interview where he said he didn't shoot in scope anymore because he hated the Pan and Scan of the way they ended up on video and TV.
This sounds like the interview I conducted with him in 2000 for Widescreen Review. I don't have the issue with me, nor do I remember the exact issue number, but it was early 2000 ("The Bone Collector" on the cover). Essentially, Pollack stated that, like many other filmmakers, he stopped shooting in scope because he hated the way his films ended up looking on TV. But he added that if 16:9 widescreen TVs became more common he would consider returning to shooting in widescreen. Well, it took four or five years, but he stuck to his word! (He also said he regretted shooting "Out Of Africa" in 1.85:1.)

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 04-27-2005 08:00 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Coate
nor do I remember the exact issue number, but it was early 2000 ("The Bone Collector" on the cover).
Volume 9, Number 2, Issue 37 March/April 2000

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 04-27-2005 10:04 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched "The Interpreter" Monday night. I was surprised this wasn't just another Super35 film. Not only was the film shot in real 'scope. Sydney Pollack took advantage of the anamorphic format's oddities for good effect. There was a rack focus telephoto lens shot of Nicole Kidman walking toward the camera inside the U.N. The exaggerated depth of field made the shot go from a vertical blur to razor sharp (and no visible grain) in quick instant. Nice punctual feel to that, to add to the dramatics.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Place a review Bobby. This movie seems to be the rare #1 movie not to have been reviewed by anybody in the Film Reviews forum.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 09-19-2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the DVD in the bonus features of "The Interpreter", Sydney Pollack talks about the use of scope vs. pan & scan. And that he favors the use of shooting films in scope to tell the story.

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2005 05:35 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
John’

Hears some information on the film The Interpreter
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/may05/interpreter/page2.html
TECHNICAL SPECS
Anamorphic 2.40:1
Arricam Studio,
Arri 435,
Arri 35-3
Cooke lenses
Kodak Vision2 Expression 500T 5229,
Vision2 100T 5212
Digital Intermediate by
EFilm

Though I’m not a total “Sydney Pollack” fan so to speak, I only have I think it’s one film Out of Africa which I only got best sound achievement recorded and released in (Dolby Stereo) which sounds awesome via the home THX, so is his new film “The Interpreter” has it got a good involving soundtrack, as I can guess it’s mostly dialogue with subtle ambient sounds and the occasional high dynamics.

I’m tried after looking for that information on the visual side, as (Super 35) sucks and I have a few or more than a few titles need I say what they are, anyway who’s done the sound mix for “The Interpreter” who are the re-recording mixers?

"Three Days of the Condor" now there’s a film I like to get hold off directed by “Sydney Pollack” damn when’s there going to be a region 2 DVD release was it filmed in flat 1.85:1, like “All the Presidents Men” also “Sydney Pollack” makes the odd cameo appearance….

Michael’

You do Widescreen Review) damn good magazine, I like the information one what you get on the films technical specifications like aspect ratios and sound presentation.

Yeah MAN "Out of Africa" in scope 2.35:1 tasty any day mate, trail and error, what can I say…

Man you’ll be surprised just how many films I turn my nose up at, ok so I have a few super 35 ones like giant RATS they are, there’s just no stopping them, and when I pick a DVD up the first two things I’m looking for in no order is Aspect ration and sound.

But when I see 2.35:1, I’m thinking to myself is this the real McCoy or is it another “TOP GUN” hence (Super 35) and when I get it home and carefully looking at it looking for tell, tell signs.

If the distributors said this film was filmed in (Super 35) 2.35:1 would DVD sales decline, on a technical issue?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-20-2005 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Super 35 when done properly actually looks better than anamorphic. It provides better depth of field than the equivelent anamorphic camera lens will. I have run alot of Super 35 Dailies and most of them look great, "True Lies" in particuluar lokoed magnificent as did its 70mm release prints!. Its in the lab where careless handling causes the format to fall apart. Yes, even the labs have bad film handlers.

Mark

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2005 08:46 AM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark’

I have “True Lies” on laserdisc 2.35:1, and I have seen a televised version in the past where there was more bottom part of the frame exposed with less side field view of the visual image, due to cropping of the sides.

So when you look at (Pan & Scan) of a true “anamorphic” film there is a whole lot of the visual splendour missing.

When you look at a (SUPER 35) print “Pan & Scan,” there’s not a whole lot missing only the sides, marginally cropped but the bottom part of the frame is exposing more and looking slightly different, there is “APOLLO 13” where it is imprinted in my mind where the astronauts are getting strapped in and seeing more of the bottom part of the image….

Anyway I don’t what talk about this any more as its depressing…….

Andy Summers
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2005 07:31 PM      Profile for Andy Summers         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I bought two “Sydney Pollack” films on DVD “Out of Africa” Special edition, which I all ready have so now I have to versions both look different in terms of aspect ration starting with chapter (2) where there’s slight shrinkage of the frame on the first edition, also the colour in tone and depth of field is clearer in the newer transfer, the sound mix is now in 5.1 or six-track Dolby with DTS, with the first edition the Dolby mix was 4.1 left centre right, mono surround, and the sub bass LFE.

The newer version as a more open feel to it and the atmosphere of “John Barry” score is totally indispensable.

Now the with the much talked about film “The Interpreter” this set the tone with James Newton Howard’s score placing me in an uneasy mood, alone with “Sydney’s” direction the use of sound told me this was going to look good and sound good, the framing was nice to see, the 2.35:1 Scope, not widescreen W/S which is how some projectionists Interpret it.

The style and pace for this story had me thinking, and feeling suspicious of some of these characters and as the film unveiled it self before my eyes all was revealed there was one thing I noted was the assignation attempt towards the end, it somehow reminded me of “STAR TREK VI The Undiscovered Country” where the assassin is assembling the rifle, and cutting out the glass, and the surprise of one of the UN officials enters the room, “I knew it.”

It’s not always I breakout the tissues, yeah it made me cry, anyway “Sydney” well done.

Now when is “Three Days of the Condor” going to be realised on DVD region 2, and I sure it’s 2.35:1 (scope).

Now tell me if I’m seeing things but there’s a scene in “The Interpreter” before the bus blows up, where there’s a location that looked like it was used in “Three Days of the Condor,” and though I’ve only seen this film twice and not for the last 10 to 14 years, it’s a location used in the opening of “Three Days of the Condor” where that nutter dressed up as a postal work and armed to the teeth with a machine gun.

So does anyone remember it?

Now I’m watching the Bones extras on “The Interpreter” where “Sydney” is showing us the A&B differences and I agree with “Sydney” P/S pan & Scan, really does ruin a scope film dramatically with windscreen films W/S 1.85:1 there’s just a little of the artists visual intention is taken away, but scope is a big deal, when television came about in the 1950’s film thought back the only way they can with wider lenses big screens that went beyond TV with supporting fanfare.

And films like “Casablanca” which is in the academy ratio look fine, way before W/S, scope, 70mm and IMAX.

Also did anyone noticing the cameo roll played “Sydney Pollack” just like in ”Tootsie” is there any more films where he plays cameos?

[beer]

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2005 07:52 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Andy Summers
Hears some information on the film The Interpreter
http://www.theasc.com/magazine/may05/interpreter/page2.html
TECHNICAL SPECS
Anamorphic 2.40:1
Arricam Studio,
Arri 435,
Arri 35-3
Cooke lenses
Kodak Vision2 Expression 500T 5229,
Vision2 100T 5212

Cooke never made anamorphic lenses. There are anamorphic back converters for Cooke zoom lenses, and some manufacturers of anamorphic lenses use Cooke prime lenses and add their own anamorphic elements, like JDC-Scope by Joe Dunton.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: